Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #31
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
........if I lived near NY, I would make the trip and buy from Adorama as they are 1st class.
Thank you - that's very good to hear!

BTW if you ever need advice or after-sales support with any purchase from Adorama, I'm only an email away; Helen@adorama.com

07-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Thank you - that's very good to hear!

BTW if you ever need advice or after-sales support with any purchase from Adorama, I'm only an email away; Helen@adorama.com
Mark Wallace has been my #1 source for learning. Your sales crew are both knowledgeable, & reliable. You have a great sales guy there named Frank. He had me laughing while giving me the best price anywhere. I watched the video on your new store. Wow! I'll be in NY state next year & I'm taking the train in just for Adorama. Thanks for being here on Pentax Forums.
07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
...I live in SF and I couldn't find a camera shop that stocked any Pentax. (There may be a tourist camera shop where you could be suckered into a grey market item - I don't know.) The camera shop that I purchased a Pentax P & S off of 12-14 years ago stopped carrying Pentax when Hoya purchased it. The camera shop that has been in SF for 50+ years dosen't carry Pentax.

Fry's electronics stocks K-R's in black and red with the kit 18-55 lens only. The closest Fry's is 25 miles away from SF. They are priced competively with Adorama and B & H.

I purchased from B & H. I actually returned a K-7 within 30 days to get a K-5. No questions asked and free shipping one way. I guess that I blew $14 shipping on the way back on that one.

I am all for buying locally, but I am also all for reality.
There's two places that sell Pentax North of SF. One was in Santa Rosa, but I can't remember their name.

Their price was even higher and they didn't even have it in stock. They had 1 16-45mm lens, but the price on it was almost $300 more then what I could get it at Amazon or Adorama.

I should also note that Adorama sells on Amazon as well, which allows me to use my Amazon Card. However, I've found by calling Adorama and talking to them I can get a better price and it helps Pentax Forums.
07-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Mark Wallace has been my #1 source for learning. Your sales crew are both knowledgeable, & reliable. You have a great sales guy there named Frank. He had me laughing while giving me the best price anywhere. I watched the video on your new store. Wow! I'll be in NY state next year & I'm taking the train in just for Adorama. Thanks for being here on Pentax Forums.
I'll second that endorsement - Mark's show is terrific and I never feel like an idiot when he teaches me VERY elementary things The info I have gotten when I have inquired has always been right too.

07-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Here is what I do - download the manual and read to your hearts content awaiting the arrival
awesome, awesome advice.
07-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bought my K5 from Amazon, no problems (it was from Amazon, not a 3rd party). I buy pretty much all my gear online, and have for years.
07-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I am all for buying locally, but I am also all for reality.
^^yup

Oh, and one of my neighbors works for UPS, so I'm saving jobs by purchasing from Amazon. Let me add that Amazon also has a plan that if you pay it off in 12 months, then there is no interest rate. Have fun with your new K5. While bobva is out polluting the air driving all over America to buy a 6 pack, you'll be taking pictures. ;-)
^^ made me LOL.
07-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

+1 for Mark Wallace. Terrific series.

07-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobva Quote
Well here's my opinion NEVER will I buy anything off the internet that I can buy at a local shop.
With all the outsourcing of american jobs overseas Why the *&^% would I want to outsource my neighbor, and deny my neighborhood the circle of money that i earned that money in.

Buy internet save a buck Loose a neighbor.

Now If I cant buy a brand new Pentax K-5 local to me Ill buy something else.

Also I Hate buying at Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes. BUT at least they employ a nieghbor.
This is a good philosophy when practical. With Pentax it is not as there are so few Brick and Mortar stores that carry the brand. Where I live there is one store that carries the line and difference in price between Amazon and the store was about $400. That also is not practical unless one has the money to burn.

I have bought all my Pentax equipment including a K-5 at Amazon with no problems.
In fact I have yet to have any problem with Amazon. I have read problems with the "warehouse" Amazon deals though.
07-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
I have bought all my Pentax equipment including a K-5 at Amazon with no problems.
In fact I have yet to have any problem with Amazon. I have read problems with the "warehouse" Amazon deals though.
I have bought from Amazon Warehouse with no problems at all. Not camera gear but some GREAT deals on office stuff for the clinic. Their return policy is solid and I'm not afraid with certain manufacturers because they honor their warranty even from the Warehouse (like Fujitsu scanners) unlike Pentax.
07-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
^^yup

^^ made me LOL.
Made me laugh just writing it.

After you've gotten to play with it for a while, please let us know what you think and share some of your shots. (But then, it's really sort of hard not to, after non-photo friendly family and friends start to avoid you)
07-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #42

Original Poster
after non-photo friendly family and friends start to avoid you
my two year old child has hated camera's for about a year now... she refuses to look at me and I have to trick her into looking... now she is wise to my tricks and even that is hard. I've decided that its ok to take pics of her not looking at me. LOL

I will come back and share. for now I am trying to read the manual online and get one step up on the camera... and checking amazon hourly to see if the status changes to shipped. LOL. guess I can give up on that for a bit now
07-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #43

You should understand that there is no 'standard' Amazon return policy if you buy a camera through them.

The return policy will be that of the seller who is working with Amazon. You need to take care to investigate what that policy is. It will be different for different sellers.

I recently got burned on a deal where I had to pay outrageous shipping charges and a 10% restocking fee on an item that I cancelled within hours after ordering.

Unless you go with an established dealer like Adorama (who sells through Amazon) you need to exercise caution.
07-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
You should understand that there is no 'standard' Amazon return policy if you buy a camera through them.

The return policy will be that of the seller who is working with Amazon. You need to take care to investigate what that policy is. It will be different for different sellers.

I recently got burned on a deal where I had to pay outrageous shipping charges and a 10% restocking fee on an item that I cancelled within hours after ordering.

Unless you go with an established dealer like Adorama (who sells through Amazon) you need to exercise caution.
Sorry about your troubles. Its really important to note what others have already said, you have to have either Amazon itself selling the item or Amazon Fulfilling the sale in order to be covered. The FAQ at Amazon states (emphasis added):
"What can I return?
You may return most new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com within 30 days of delivery for a full refund"

I've never had anything but stellar experiences with Amazon and its returns. I returned a Sony P&S because it was just poor in low light - it was opened and they took it back for a 100% refund, no questions asked. Other sellers have different rules and I try to stay away from them for more significant purchases.
07-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
my two year old child has hated camera's for about a year now... she refuses to look at me and I have to trick her into looking... now she is wise to my tricks and even that is hard. I've decided that its ok to take pics of her not looking at me. LOL
I have a dog, and not even Snoopy has had it's picture taken more times then my girl.

Which, just so happens to also be one of the few reasons she refuses to be seen with me in public.