Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Any issues buying K5 from Amazon.com?

I think I am finally ready to purchase my K-5! I am an amazon girl and have the amazon card with rewards, so want to purchase off amazon... but this big of an electronics purchase is making me nervous! Any experiences with amazon and pentax?

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Camera & Photo

1230$ with two day shipping (prime member).... good deal?

07-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not purchased a Pentax camera from Amazon so far, but I am sure like a lot of PF members on here, I've purchased a lot of camera equipment, with the most expensive single item being a Pentax FA77 lens.

Personally, I would not hesitate to buy from Amazon or Amazon-backed vendors, regardless of what product. They have a good review/feedback system plus their return policies are excellent.
07-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With new stuff no issues here and I too am a premier member. I bought my K-x there and it was good all the way.

Their Used stuff is cheaper but the rule from PentaxUSA is that it does not have a Pentax warranty. So, for me saving $150 or so on a K-5 is not worth that risk.

Good luck.
07-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I think I just needed some words of reassurance! I will be getting a new one. used is like 1075$ and thats really not enough incentive to buy it used!

07-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The only thing to be careful with when buying an expensive electronic item like the K-5 is who it is sold by.

For example, in your link, the camera is sold by Electronics Basket and fulfilled by Amazon. This is very important. As long as the item is fulfilled by Amazon, Amazon's return policy is in effect. If the item is not fulfilled by Amazon, you are at the mercy of the vendor's return policy, whatever that may be. Amazon's return policy is great so no worries there.

So in your link, you are fine. Just watch that "Sold by" and "Fulfilled by" for any items.
07-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Go For It!

I got mine from Amazon several months ago for $1,234. The K5 sold was fulfilled by Amazon & there return policy was in full effect if I wanted to return it. Mine was stain free and I've not had a single problem with mine at all.

What I did do, was purchase a 3 yr extented warrenty from Adorama for only $19.95. Pentax sells the same one for @ $60 or $90. I called Pentax to make sure they would honor the one from Adorama and they said no problem.
07-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I believe the Adorama extended warranty is only for 2 years on the camera, not three.

07-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Forum Member

Well here's my opinion NEVER will I buy anything off the internet that I can buy at a local shop.
With all the outsourcing of american jobs overseas Why the *&^% would I want to outsource my neighbor, and deny my neighborhood the circle of money that i earned that money in.

Buy internet save a buck Loose a neighbor.

Now If I cant buy a brand new Pentax K-5 local to me Ill buy something else.

Also I Hate buying at Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes. BUT at least they employ a nieghbor.

Last edited by bobva; 07-21-2011 at 08:52 PM.
07-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I too like to support local stores, but ethics aside, there are still reasons to buy local.

If you have a problem with the camera, you have someone to take it to.
If you have a question, you have someone to go to
If you build a relationship with a store you may get discounts and better treatment the more you buy there.
07-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Buying local is fine, if someone local sells it. No one nearby sells the K-5 or K-r, so - how far do I drive to buy from a "neighbor"?
07-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought my K-5 & grip from amazon as well as a Tamron 70-200/2.8, SD cards, filters, and countless photo supplies...they are top notch in turn around time and return policy and i would not hesitate to use them for future purchases.

there i one amazon vendor that i avoid after 0 for 2 (starts with "A" (no, not that one), but other than that, most have been fine albeit slightly longer delivery times typically.
07-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobva Quote
Well here's my opinion NEVER will I buy anything off the internet that I can buy at a local shop.
With all the outsourcing of american jobs overseas Why the *&^% would I want to outsource my neighbor, and deny my neighborhood the circle of money that i earned that money in.

Buy internet save a buck Loose a neighbor.

Now If I cant buy a brand new Pentax K-5 local to me Ill buy something else.

Also I Hate buying at Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes. BUT at least they employ a nieghbor.
this is exactly why i order my Pentax gear online...have yet to find an actual store that carries it, though i did see a K-x in stock at a Fry's Electronics.
07-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Glee46 I had no idea I could do that. I will look into it!

bobva, I live in farmers town- middle of no where... and unless I want canon or nikon straight from one of the chains you mentioned (or drive an hour to a best buy which is just as bad) than online is the only way I can get my camera supplies.... But I do buy local for as many things as I can
07-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
Glee46 I had no idea I could do that. I will look into it!

bobva, I live in farmers town- middle of no where... and unless I want canon or nikon straight from one of the chains you mentioned (or drive an hour to a best buy which is just as bad) than online is the only way I can get my camera supplies.... But I do buy local for as many things as I can
My Favorite camera shop is about 90 miles from my house. oneway
My favorite fishing tackle shop is 45 miles from my house. oneway
My mechanic is 84 miles from my house. oneway

I live in the sticks too, 14 miles for a six pack of beer round trip
07-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
we have beer everywhere

as for driving 90 miles.. well, firstly I am a woman and I hate driving in cities... I have no idea where there is a camera shop as sad as that sounds.... secondly I have a 2 yr old... and I would rather go to the dentists than drive 180 miles in one day with her in the car with me. LOL. But I havent bought a bit of produce all summer that hasnt come from local farmers, I buy local meat thru a small, family owned grocery store that I get 95% of all my food that I dont purchase from the produce stands... I try to do my part in my house to support local, family owned businesses. BUT... I work only part time as a nurse, and photographer on the side, my husband is an autobody mechanic (in a local business) and I have to budget things! so... if amazon is going to save me a tank of gas, and a few hundred dollars then amazon it is... but I promise to support my local businesses and keep my neighbors happy