Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CRIS Problems and K-5

So I sent my K-5 in for the dreaded stain problem. More than 5 weeks later I get a replacement unit in bag that has a serial number that is clearly part of the affected units based on the database.

I was under the impression that new boxed units were being sent out not a unit that is part of the problem??

Have others been treated the same way and if so what did you do?

I'm not willing to accept a replacement unit that based on the database is not good.
I didn't spend hard earned money to be taken advantage of by a company that thinks that it's ok....

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have sent an email to CRIS and Pentax expressing my unhappiness with how this was handled.

Don't get me wrong I love my pentax gear but I don't appreciate being treated like this. Maybe $1500.00 isn't much to them but it is to me. I don't think it's a lot to ask to be provided a replacement unit that is free of defects....

07-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
So I sent my K-5 in for the dreaded stain problem. More than 5 weeks later I get a replacement unit in bag that has a serial number that is clearly part of the affected units based on the database.
Sorry to hear that it took 5 weeks

I was under the impression that new boxed units were being sent out not a unit that is part of the problem??
No, you are wrong on this.

Have others been treated the same way and if so what did you do?
Accepted the new camera and happily moved on

I'm not willing to accept a replacement unit that based on the database is not good.
I didn't spend hard earned money to be taken advantage of by a company that thinks that it's ok....
What database? The database on this site or an internal Pentax one?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have sent an email to CRIS and Pentax expressing my unhappiness with how this was handled.
You have probably got a new camera. Are there any problems with it or are you unhappy because of a missing box?

Don't get me wrong I love my pentax gear but I don't appreciate being treated like this. Maybe $1500.00 isn't much to them but it is to me. I don't think it's a lot to ask to be provided a replacement unit that is free of defects....
Are there any defects on the camera you received? Have you tried it?
07-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
SPB

I would have thought it would be a "reconditioned" one first and a new one if no "reconditioned" were available when yours went in. When my camera failed Pentax replaced the mother board on it, so I had returned my original camera repaired. What would be better from a users point of view is to have better quality control in the first place.
07-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I hear what you are saying, and they fact it took 5 weeks is unacceptable. However, is the problem fixed? Does your current camera work as it should from the factory? Is it in factory new condition?

If the answer is yes to all of the above, I'd enjoy the camera and move on.

I had some issues with my K-7, bad shutter, dust under the LCD, and then when it came back the first time the focus system was completely messed up.

I lost the camera for about 6 weeks total, and the second time was quicker because some strings were pulled for me. Otherwise, 2-2.5 months out of 6 would have been the lost time with a camera I do use to earn income from. I guess that is what backups are for!

Keep one thing in mind. Pentax QC seems to have taken a hit under Hoya, and it's customer service did too, but take a look at the Canon 1DMIII (i believe). It was never actually fixed by Canon and those people spent a lot more than your $1500. Not saying 2 wrongs make a right, but it's just something to keep in mind when you are feeling cheated. At least you have a fully working camera!

07-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the replacement camera has flaws then send it back. If not, then don't worry about it. It's really that simple.
07-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was under the impression that new boxed units were being sent out
Well, that's what happened (to my surprise) when I sent my stained K-5 in earlier this year but it seems to me the object is to get a perfectly functional K-5 so if that's you've got I think you're good.

5 weeks is a long time though.
07-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Got my replacement from CRIS just 3 days ago. CRIS got me a new K-5 four weeks to the day after I sent it for stain and lockup issues. It appears perfect and new (75 shots, dated 5-5-2011) in a retail box but without accessories since they told me to hold on to those. In another thread we discuss the relationship (of lack of) between serial# and manufacture date. My replacement has a lower number than the one I sent in purchased last Fall. But this new one seems perfect in every way and I am a happy camper regardless of what they did in the background to supply it.

07-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Forget about the serial number except for your record and insurance company purposes. What is the Manufacture Date?

07-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Can't blame you for your feelings.....but if it works, just use it and move on.

Service is a declining commodity in today's world, where the almighty dollar supersedes all else. You can find these stories relating to most any product from most any company.

It does open the door for Ricoh to show something different in customer service than other camera makers, and certainly over Hoya, that has been just plain pathetic.

Mostly retired now...but I spent the last few decades building a business based on quality work and superb customer service. Never spent a dime on advertising....didn't need to, my customers sent me all the new customers I could handle. If you put service first you can forget about that almighty dollar...it will be there, guaranteed, and you will make a lot of good friends along the way!

Best Regards!

In the rare event where a company refuses to honor their warranty or otherwise is unfair and totally out of line.....my response is always the same and it never fails...

"Hello, Discovercard....I would like to remove a charge from my account."
Then it becomes the problem of the seller, and they can fight my battle or lose their money. They usually fight the battle and I win, but I do have a free Yamaha piano and a lot of other equipment where they were just too lazy to respond. When they agree to accept a company's credit card, they agree to the terms, which requires them to respond and/or enter meditations in a dispute. Some know they are wrong and just let it go. Most will make it right.

Last edited by Rupert; 07-22-2011 at 08:02 AM.
07-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Everyone,

thanks for the responses. Do I think the camera is new...NO considering it didn't ask to be setup and settings were not at the defaults like a new unit would of been.

It seems that the earlier serial numbers are the units that are showing up with the stain issue a couple of months down the road. My original unit was fine in the beginning then at some point the stain showed up after several months use. My concern is that this unit will do the same thing. The database on this site has more bad then good serials numbers based on the earlier serials posted. I don't want to have to worry that this unit is going to do the same thing a few months from now. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I don't feel that I should have to be worrying that this camera will have the possibility of doing the same thing. I want to enjoy the camera not to be worrying that I'm going to have to deal with this again. It's one thing if it breaks but the stain issue is Pentax's fault and poor quality control. My feelings are that Pentax should remove all the earlier serials from the marketplace to ensure that they have eliminated the problem....
07-22-2011, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds to me you got a refurbished unit. If this is true, the sensor would have been replaced from stock that is free from the defect. My advice would be to test it to verify it's currently stain free and then use it and enjoy it. Given the bad PR and extent of this problem, it is inconceivable to me that they would send out a unit that had the potential to develop the same problem.

Don't go looking for a reason to be outraged, what is important is the manufacture date, not the serial number.

Last edited by GregK8; 07-23-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typos
07-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
Rin
Forum Member

the serial numbers are re-used as far as i know, its nto really refurbishing but just replacing the inside of the camera and making sure it is perfectly fine.

refurbs are simply repackaged cameras and sold again.
07-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Everyone,

thanks for the responses. Do I think the camera is new...NO considering it didn't ask to be setup and settings were not at the defaults like a new unit would of been.
What you do from here is entirely up to you of course. If you decide to keep the camera (find out from CRIS exactly what you got), get an extended warranty. I had the warranty discussion with Pentax back in February. Technically, they like you to get the extended within 90 days of purchase (your current warranty still expires 1 year from the Original purchase date) but you can still do so within the first year. B&H has them for $20. Pretty cheap for the added peace of mind. My current camera was manufactured 1 day Before the 'safe' cutoff date. I've taken twice as many photos with this as my original camera and so far, so good. The theory is that the stains are there from the start and somehow have to be burned in before they appear.