Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

exif data on the k5

Hi all
for some reason I havent quite worked out I cant log in as ricstew so I had to re register in a different name but anyway
I put a way older m42 lens on the k5 yesterday.....a 400mm 6.3 haminex.....and the lightroom exif data tells me its a 400mm A series lens and I shot at f2.8......well thats just not possible!although it would be nice! I am using a Pentax m42 adapter not a knock off Its quite an old preset lens with 2 aperture rings.....lots of good fun
Any ideas guys? does it make any difference?
cheers
Jan

07-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janstew Quote
Hi all
for some reason I havent quite worked out I cant log in as ricstew so I had to re register in a different name but anyway
I put a way older m42 lens on the k5 yesterday.....a 400mm 6.3 haminex.....and the lightroom exif data tells me its a 400mm A series lens and I shot at f2.8......well thats just not possible!although it would be nice! I am using a Pentax m42 adapter not a knock off Its quite an old preset lens with 2 aperture rings.....lots of good fun
cheers
Jan
I looked at my m42 to K adapter which I bought new for $9.50 in 1975 when the K mount first came out. The problem is that the F/stop minimum is communicated to the camera body either electrically, or via the series of steel balls on the face of your camera mount. In order to get "wide open' metering to work the camera body must know what 'wide open' is. The limitation of all lenses prior to the Pentax-A models is that this communication is not supported by the lens.

The consequence is that you must use stop down metering, and the XDIF is wrong. The focal length would be wrong too except that you input that when you mounted the lens, or it defaulted to 400mm.
07-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janstew Quote
Hi all
cheers
Jan
Were you using Aperture Priority?

07-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.....sorry to take so long to get back to you! I wasn't using Ap but have since then.....all good....
The K5 does funny thing to a couple of my sigma lenses as well. They are not old ones and have the HSM motors? but the exif data is never correct. What would happen if for some unknown reason I needed the exif data to prove what lens/camera combo I used? As in a competition or something?
cheers
Jan

07-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All of the lenses (modern that are capable of doing so) ID themselves with a number. What is wonky is the way some softwares interpret that number. Photoshop CS5 still thinks my DA*55 is just a 55mm lens while it will ID other lenses correctly.