Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Hey, let's face it, men (and women too) enjoy their favorite tools. After all, where would we be without tools, shivering in some cave with a smokey fire? And some versions of some tools are just poetry.

The K5 is like that. And I appreciate Rupert for stating the obvious, a lot of us are using the K5 because it is a lot of fun, but we (I ) don't like to admit it. Somehow, doing anything is more "manly" if we have sweat, bruises, and a few abrasions to show for it.

But any camera that motivates you to use it, is going to be used a lot more than one that's "less fun". What makes a camera "fun". I'm not quite sure, but i think it may be the camera that gets out of the way between you and the image, e.g. doesn't require a manual to use, lightweight, you can see the image easily thru the viewfinder, flexible in terms of the shooting environment, etc.
Agreed all around......and it is not that my K20D or K10D or DS did not bring joy, they certainly did, but the K5 is a lot like when I went form my first motorbike to a Triumph 650....many years ago. The change was just unbelievable. Of course the 650 almost got me killed right away....something the K5 is not likely to do......unless I start to get an itch to shoot some nudes with it!

The joy of shooting can be found with most any camera.....more of it can be found with the K5.

Best Regards!

07-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That is an interesting story, and as a K5 shooter, fully understandable...the K5 puts Fun in shooting like nothing else I have used.
Those are fantastic shots, and it is obvious you speak from a lot of experience. Like I said though, we all shine in a different light, and while I am just an old Squirrel shooter......my fun is equal to that of fine shooters like you....it's just that my photos are not....

Best Regards & Thanks for taking the time to make your reply, it should inspire those that may be on the fence to hit the Order Now button and get in on the fun we are having!
Well, those squirrel shots are some of the finest I've seen, and you are probably having way more fun then I, so I'm jealous!

I surely hope I can inspire somebody to buy a K-5, it's the kind of thing one can get passionate about! And thanks for the kind words!
07-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Well, those squirrel shots are some of the finest I've seen, and you are probably having way more fun then I, so I'm jealous!

I surely hope I can inspire somebody to buy a K-5, it's the kind of thing one can get passionate about! And thanks for the kind words!
Your shots are very nice, well processed and do make me a bit jealous...I like the style you use a lot.
Many have Squirrel shots better than mine, and honestly, I enjoy them every bit as much as my own. We have some mighty fine shooters here at PF and it always encourages me to view their work and get new ideas.

The only thing I have that no one else has is Otis...but I have a feeling he would sell me out for the right price? He once threatened to go with a Nikon shooter, but I increased his contract benefits and he stayed......said he wasn't really going to switch, but only after I had signed the new contract.
He did ask me to shoot him with 22 cal hollow point if he ever even threatened to go Canon.....and I will!

Best Regards .....fun is out there waiting for me today...but so is 106F, so I may delay a little longer!
07-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The only thing I have that no one else has is Otis...but I have a feeling he would sell me out for the right price? He once threatened to go with a Nikon shooter, but I increased his contract benefits and he stayed......said he wasn't really going to switch, but only after I had signed the new contract.
He did ask me to shoot him with 22 cal hollow point if he ever even threatened to go Canon.....and I will!
Well next time when Otis run's his Joker card let me know, I have just the set of pictures to smutter him and willingly give up all his benefits for free

Please, don't look if you love Otis!!!
http://i33.tinypic.com/1o261z.jpg

07-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The most amazing part of this camera is the Dynamic Range. Maybe I've just become better at it but I've never been able to capture the roses this way..

Voigtlander 58mm f1:1.4
Holy moly! That rose shot is stupendous! Just beautiful!
07-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well next time when Otis run's his Joker card let me know, I have just the set of pictures to smutter him and willingly give up all his benefits for free

Please, don't look if you love Otis!!!
http://i33.tinypic.com/1o261z.jpg
Otis looked ...you knew he would. He borrowed my K20D (can't touch my K5!) and went out in the Deep Woods to get you a shot of one of those Squirrel hunters that came by a while ago.......came back in later and asked for a Macro lens.

Regards!
07-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #22
Banned

Way to go Otis!

07-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

To those dithering over whether to buy a K-5 because if it's early problems.... just go and buy one. You won't be disappointed.

I bought two. I'm having double the fun!

Regards to Otis and Mrs Rupert!!
07-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Smeggy...you were one of those with early problems, so this carries a lot of weight with those familiar with the early K5 Wars.......I was very vocal too, but there is no doubt I was won over almost instantly by this fine camera after a few shots and a quick check-over. . It is truly my Dream Camera.....come true!

Ron.....Otis wanted you to see this. Imagine what he could do to a man if he can do this to a bear....it isn't a pretty sight, so only the strong stomached should view it. Look closely and watch it all.....damn that Otis is quick! Those Kung-fu lessons I paid for were not a waste, were they!

Animals Being Dicks

Best Regards!
07-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Holy moly! That rose shot is stupendous! Just beautiful!
Thank you..

07-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I will say this,

I had the misfortune to handle a k5 at b&h a few weeks ago and I was dumbfounded at how much nicer it was than my k20d.

I mean it made my k20d seem like some ancient technology.

I want it bad.

also, all electronics have a defect rate.

my first pentax, the me super I spent my paper route cash on in 1981, was defective and I had to return it.

but electronics that fail typically do it in the 90 day easy warranty period and you get a brand new one free.

not usually a hassle.

I will be waiting for the k5 with baited breath, as soon as I can afford it I will buy one--probably refurb'd like my k100d and my k20d.

All this other stuff is just internet BS.

always some haters, always some people that are paranoid about everything.'

that k5 was amazing when I handled it.

cannot wait to get my own.
07-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moving from the K10 to the K5 is a bit of a learning curve. Learning to trust the high-ISO and SR, for one thing...

Here's a shot in the shade, windy day, but the 55-300 tracked this little Eastern Amberwing. DOF was pretty narrow, shot was dark, but I lightened and sharpened the RAW file. (I'm a noob at that). I really liked the stained glass look of the wings, so I'll call it a keeper.

07-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Moving from the K10 to the K5 is a bit of a learning curve. Learning to trust the high-ISO and SR, for one thing...

Here's a shot in the shade, windy day, but the 55-300 tracked this little Eastern Amberwing. DOF was pretty narrow, shot was dark, but I lightened and sharpened the RAW file. (I'm a noob at that). I really liked the stained glass look of the wings, so I'll call it a keeper.
Nothing wrong with that one...the wings look like Church windows!
The thing about having fun...or self satisfaction, or whatever you may call it...is that it is usually free of any demands on you, and lets you relax and just be surprised if you get something you really like. No pressure, no deadline, just a man (or lady) and their camera, exploring their surroundings. Something about the K5...actually, a lot about the K5, makes that experience a little more intensely satisfying. Sure...there are many fine cameras.....but this is a Pentax, it just feels right, doesn't it?

Best Regards!
07-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #29
Banned

Ron.....Otis wanted you to see this. Imagine what he could do to a man if he can do this to a bear....it isn't a pretty sight, so only the strong stomached should view it. Look closely and watch it all.....damn that Otis is quick! Those Kung-fu lessons I paid for were not a waste, were they!

Animals Being Dicks

Best Regards!
wow that is one wild animal I'll be on my edge next time I take a walk.
07-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
wow that is one wild animal I'll be on my edge next time I take a walk.
Now you guys understand why I am always so quick to agree with Otis, I don't want to end up like that bear!

(Only the strong hearted should view this....extreme violence!)
Animals Being Dicks Otis is awesome scary!

Best Regards!