Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #46
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yusuf.....This will be the easiest reply here. Remember when you thought sex was no big deal, girls were silly, and anyhow you had two good hands....remember?
This is not true? When did it change? Nobody told me

Fun stuff with two camera's is that you can run around and twice as much pictures.

07-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
So I ordered the K5 this morning. Thought I should let you know Am excited and nervous at the same time. Found it online for $1133 including delivery to Aus. Thank goodness for tax bonus time!
Good on ya Nicole. It is a great camera, you will love using it.

phil
07-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #48
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Exactly, and I am sure you heard of AIDS - hands are better sometime

Joke apart, back to facts. Last week I was in Ladakh with my two k-x and someone with k-5. Everything was so great and suddenly his k-5 started showing mirror floping signs, no more fun for him and I had nothing but the great memories with my two hands
Didn't your Mama tell you not to do that...it would make you go blind? Maybe you just intend to do it until you need glasses?
Regards!
07-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Didn't your Mama tell you not to do that...it would make you go blind? Maybe you just intend to do it until you need glasses?
Regards!
Buddy, you are going offensive now. For me, K-5 is of no use, your mileage may vary. You asked for opinion and I gave it - so now you move on.

07-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry Yusuf, but you are the one that came into a thread that was fully advertised to be for positive comments from well satisfied K5 shooters and got a little dig in on the K5.

Offensive? You are the one proud of your two hands....said it yourself. So if you offered up more information than we wanted to know, blame yourself, not me. They have a place here for you and your two Kx's.....this thread is for K5 owners and those interested in becoming owners.
Most people read the opening and have stuck by the guidelines......I can see where that might have been a problem for you....maybe it is time for those glasses?
Regards
07-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #51
Inactive Account

Well, to bring this choking conversation back on topic, I took my K5 to the river yesterday with a mono-pod. Set it up for a panorama, used the level to make sure I had all the shots aligned, and came up with this 14 shot pano.. Click the image to see the full size (LARGE file).

I enjoyed the short drive To the river, the walking on the boardwalk to get to my location, and the using of the K5 to make the photos. The only thing I didn't enjoy was waiting for the computer to stitch and blend them all together.

The intention of this thread was no secret with the title given. There are plenty of threads where Owners can bitch about the camera. People just parroting stuff they've read, need not apply.

07-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice pano, I have never been a pano fan, but if printed large enough that changes my view. You sure did get nice even exposures, and the color is superb. You did a fine job of putting it all together.

Just an OT question.....I don't know where you live, but that island...ever been on it? We have a place here that is similar, not quite as gorgeous, but close. When I was a kid we rafted over to the island and the damn snakes were as thick as bees on a hive, damn near ate us up before we could get away. You got snakes there?

Best Regards!

07-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #53
Banned

That is a very nice pano indeed. I'm not so into it, it's also a lot of work and then there are other people who make them better and I enjoy watchting theirs.
07-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #54
Inactive Account

This is the Detroit River in Ecorse Michigan. I live about 5 miles from this location. No, Never been on the island or even on the river for that matter. I think the island is pretty much just whatever wildlife inhabits it. It isn't very big, perhaps an eighth of a square mile at the most. The island is tagged as a wildlife refuge. I took the shots from the spot marked by the X in the photo below. The brown rooftop you see at the lower left is the Ecorse Rowing club that shows at the right side of my pano.

Attached Images

07-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Lifes a gamble.. but...
According to the last Hoya report we'll probably see, Pentax is moving about 25,000 units a Quarter of 'stuff'... http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/investor/d0h4dj00000014ze-att/d0h4dj0000001e6m.pdf

If we assume K-5's are as low as 10% of that (although, ancedotally, it would appear to be about 20% of it...) thats still 2500 units every quarter.
But you don't see 2500 people post here a quarter about their faulty K-5's... You see at most .. 125 people a quarter.. which is 5% of total quarterly shipments.... which is the same failure rate that Nikon/Canon have in their current lineup
LOTS of assuming going on here. You assume that every person with a faulty camera posts their issues on an internet forum???

I'm sure their are lots of folks out there with sensor stains who don't see them due to the type of shooting they do, or folks that would have the flash issue, but since they don't use flash it's a non issue, or whatever. Under reporting or non reporting of doesn't mean faulty units are not out there, or decrease someone's likelihood of getting a faulty unit.

If my new car didn't have working reverse, and I don't need to ever back up, is it still defective? And whether I've told anyone on a car forum or not of the problem has no bearing either.

The K5 has great performance, but it's also been known to have some significant issues. Pentax has been standing behind it, so a person probably doesn't need to be too concerned about not getting it fixed. They should be aware that it's a distinct possibility that they may become much more familiar with the cost of shipping a camera and the service center than they want to be.

I'll take my chances with the health issues you enumerated until I see Pentax has a better handle on the mirror flopping issue, the flash over exposure issues before I order one though.
07-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting it. The company I'm getting it from will pick up the faulty camera and return it to me, no cost to me if anything goes wrong with it and it has a free 2 year warranty as well. So that has helped give me some peace of mind with it
07-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ryan....can't fault you there, everyone has a certain degree of what they expect and a risk level they won't cross. I was once there on the K5.....crossed it and have not a single regret...and not a single problem...just all smiles. Most do seem to be well satisfied or they would find these different Forums and be blasting away...or sales would be way down, which does not appear to be the case.

Sometimes you take chances......more often than not actually. Is the K5 worth a slight risk? Absolutely it is, there is no question about that, just look at the many shooters that have suffered through several bodies to get a good one....they didn't do that for no reason, and most were still praising the K5 all the while...except for their specific problem.

I am flexible, will compromise thoughts at times, and concede on certain issues that may be in a gray area. I will not compromise that the K5 is one of the best DSLR's Pentax has ever made, and certainly among the best anyone has ever made in its class.

Now...can someone tell another Happy Story or post some photos? Otis....he keeps asking for naked photos...and I keep telling him he is in the wrong Forum....

Best Regards!

Mom's Cherry Pie....delicious to the last crumb! Accidentally used the 540 flash mounted separate from the K5 at ISO 12, 800. Flash was pointed straight up....but it will point any direction mounted or unmounted without problems.

[IMG] [/IMG]

The pie was better than my shot.....Mom makes the very best...except for your Mom...I bet she does good too?
07-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
LOTS of assuming going on here. You assume that every person with a faulty camera posts their issues on an internet forum???

I'm sure their are lots of folks out there with sensor stains who don't see them due to the type of shooting they do, or folks that would have the flash issue, but since they don't use flash it's a non issue, or whatever. Under reporting or non reporting of doesn't mean faulty units are not out there, or decrease someone's likelihood of getting a faulty unit.

If my new car didn't have working reverse, and I don't need to ever back up, is it still defective? And whether I've told anyone on a car forum or not of the problem has no bearing either.

The K5 has great performance, but it's also been known to have some significant issues. Pentax has been standing behind it, so a person probably doesn't need to be too concerned about not getting it fixed. They should be aware that it's a distinct possibility that they may become much more familiar with the cost of shipping a camera and the service center than they want to be.

I'll take my chances with the health issues you enumerated until I see Pentax has a better handle on the mirror flopping issue, the flash over exposure issues before I order one though.
Like I've said before, owning a Pentax is like owning an Alfa Romeo. You are not a car enthusiast until you do, you love it to death, and it can and will break your heart, but what a ride! You either get it or you don't.

Owning a K-5 is worth risking having to get it fixed. If you don't own one you'll never know...

(BY the way, I have no flash issues at all with my K-5. I shot a commercial job this morning, about 250 shots, all were perfect. I used a Vivitar 285 on 1/4 power bounced into a 40" Eclipse umbrella on a light stand fired with a Pocket Wizard. I used the ISO to adjust exposure. Perfect flash every time. TTL flash is a complicated solution to a problem photographers never really had... Seriously, how hard is: "BLUE = F8???????")
07-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back to the "Fun Factor"........have I ever mentioned that Squirrels go nuts over the K5?

ISO 8,000 1/160 @ 500mm hand held....Gotta love the K5!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards! .....have fun! Today will never come again......
07-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #60
Veteran Member

The harsh mistress of LBA just set my joining back another few weeks.... Maybe I can convince the missus to buy hers early then suggest she take my K20 while I shake out any bugs for her just cause I love her and wouldn't want any issues to crop up while she's away - better the devil you know and all