Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always thought the yellow peril referred to something else, but now I know better. Where do you think you caught this disease? Ah, I think it might have mutated and is now past on to humans by squirrels. (Just kidding)

I hope your grand daughter inherits your sense of humor but buy her occasionally a red or blue jacket perhaps even green?

Greetings

07-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Her favorite is pink....mine yellow...so here we compromised and let the big blue eyes split the difference....everyone was happy!

Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]

She's going to be a heartbreaker in any color!

07-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #48
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wishlf Quote
How serious is this QC problem? Pentax have already address the stained sensor issue. What about the mirror flopping and Focusing issue? Are they fixable? Is there any other issue other than those? What's their service turn around time?
Pentax has yet to acknowledge the matter of flopping mirrors and so far they're not handling it any better than the ongoing SDM debacle.
07-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I never heard of a flopping mirror, google search only returned a question of another guy asking what is flopping mirror. Are you sure you are not paranoic about the QC?
I mean as far as my experience with cameras goes, there is no flawless one, but the amount of problems I had with Pentaxes in not different from the amount of problems my friends had with Canons and Nikons.

07-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Are you sure you are not paranoic about the QC?
No paranoia or hallucinations here, I can assure you. The internet has many references of it you must look in the right places.

Count yourself lucky if your cam has not caught this bug yet and when/if it does you will know all about it. A fair amount people reporting this problem. The ratio of occurrences and total cameras sold may be small but the problem is a real one. And I like to have my camera fixed!

Have a look here, some of the cams in these flicks are not K-5s but the symptoms are the same:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-5 Mirror "Jumpy" Videos Galaxy

http://www.youtube.com/v/zmp9vkVahjg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

Greetings
07-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Anyone who has owned a K-5 and experienced QC issues has every right, just like anyone else, to voice their opinion about the product.

To come out and say they are rubbish just because your copy has not had problems is pure garbage. You do not have any more right to voice your opinion without giving the same right to others.Anyone who has owned a K-5 and experienced QC issues has every right, just like anyone else, to voice their opinion about the product.

To come out and say they are rubbish just because your copy has not had problems is pure garbage. You do not have any more right to voice your opinion without giving the same right to others.
At no time did I say that you or anybody else, did not have the right to express your opinion. As I have the right to express mine.

To use the word "plagued" in my opinion is the use of a gross over statement, based totally on the expressions of those who have had trouble, which I acknowlege in my response as well.
There are many, and I do not exaggerate, who have had no trouble at all.
So , as I see it, the OP is being rather mislead by the statement "plagued by QC" as you are so forcibly stressing.

That is the entirety of my point. Case closed for me, I am out of here, I have better things to focus on.
07-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #52
Site Supporter

If you decide to buy the K5, clearly you will do so for the lenses. They are just a pleasure to use, particularly the limiteds, but I love the DA *55 as well.

Just an example is the difference in size between the D FA 100mm WR macro lens and the Nikon 105mm VR macro lens. Nikon is 27.9 ounces, versus 12 ounces for the Pentax lens.

I wouldn't worry about "QC" issues. My experience has been basically good, although I have had cameras break down in the past and Pentax always fixed them quickly. In addition, my K5 has none of the problems mentioned in this or other threads.

07-25-2011, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

RH is really not a reference...

07-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member

My granddaughter is a storm in a teacup and gets really grumpy if she doesn't get her own way

Shown here in Nikon D7000 style which is supposed to do the yellow look very well but I tweaked the AWB with a custom setting of B1.

Compliments of the 70-300 VR at the soft end of 300 wide open at ISO 900.

Unfortunately I had to switch systems as Pentax just simply disappeared in SA.
07-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Just wanted to add that I'm also a D7000 user. In fact, I'm on my second one since I sent the original back due to back focusing and hot pixel issues. Others have also reported the D7000 has a tendency to overexpose, but that's not so problematic with EV compensation. Point is, Pentax is not the only company with QC issues and if you're in the U.S., just return the defective camera back to the retailer. Regardless if it's Nikon or Pentax.

Anyhow, I much prefer the K-5 to the D7000 for it's size and ergonomics. It's just more simplistic and transitions from setting to setting is easier, but that's just me. So why am I using a D7000 instead? Well, i intend to eventually move to FF Nikon and decided the rebates at the beginning of the year were too good to pass up (i.e. $200-$400 off 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm). And the only way to get the rebates were to buy a body, so here I am with the D7000, waiting for the next iteration of the D700 or a good deal on a D3S.

In the meantime, I still love and shoot with my wife's K-R, but really want another K-5. It would all be APS-C redundancy though :ugh:
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #56

My K5 had shutter problems...

The shutter would go off by itself...its under repair..been gone for over a month. I have a K7 that I have started using finally with what is left of my lenses..I also have the 7D and couple of nice EF mount lenses along with the D7K with some nikon gems....so I'm good..never really used the limited series lenses...But they are extremely great quality optics...

I dont really like the idea of dumping one brand for the other.......I have always had all 3 brands ever since DSLrs came into the scene..

QuoteOriginally posted by wishlf Quote
Thanks for your input sagiboy. Whats wrong with your k-5? How long since you bought you camera and found out about the issue? I see that you are selling off your Pentax lenses. If you have already invested so much. Why not wait for it to come back? I am sure u will lose a lOt of mOney selling them off.
07-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #57
Pentaxian

If I had it all to do over again, it would be the K-5 plus...

...the DA15, FA31, FA77

or maybe the DA21, FA31, DA* 55

or maybe the DA21, FA43, FA77

or maybe the DA21, DA*55, D FA 100 WR

or maybe the DA21, DA35, DA70

Damn! Decisions Decisions!
07-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If I had it all to do over again, it would be the K-5 plus...

...the DA15, FA31, FA77

or maybe the DA21, FA31, DA* 55

or maybe the DA21, FA43, FA77

or maybe the DA21, DA*55, D FA 100 WR

or maybe the DA21, DA35, DA70

Damn! Decisions Decisions!
No kidding, I was thinking about the same thing. I now have a DA21 and DA70... now the question is what to fill in the middle...
07-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
No kidding, I was thinking about the same thing. I now have a DA21 and DA70... now the question is what to fill in the middle...
I've got the DA21 and DA70 as well. For the middle I cheated. I bought the DA35 Macro and then bought my wife the DA40
07-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #60

I'm in love with my K5 Silver. I held both bodies and chose the K5 because it was smaller and felt like it was buit solid. I liked the way the grip felt over the D7000. SO I roam around using a Tamron 17-50, Sigma 8-16 and Pentax DA L 55-300. Great coverage. Also, Ill carry my D FA 100WR for any macro shots. I love the color, contrast and sharpness in the 100WR and my DA 40. I also own a Sigma 28 Macro f/1.8 and I love its performance as well except the size. Pentax has the smallest, lightest and but great quality in 1 package. Thats Pentax.