Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #61
Forum Member

Original Poster
I finally made my decision, ordered a K-5, it's coming on Thursday. Getting a 31mm to try it out. heard good things about that lens.

07-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
Its not worth the switch... I have both the cameras, and the 7D...all of them take great pictures. And if someone is already invested in lenses, it doesn't make any sense to jump ship..D7K is a great camera and has the same Sony sensor. Nikon will fetch you more money in the used market. Even though K5 is a great camera- the best APS-C yet....its plagued by QC issues, and is more expensive. However, if you choose to switch, you wont see much difference in image quality- but handling would be a totally different experience.
I do not understand why anyone would discourage someone from switching to K-5 even if you are used to D7000 or 7D for that matter. It is simply a matter of preference, for instance, after handling the 7D and D7000 at bestbuy, I still prefer the k-5 ergonomics, the knobs and buttons are in the right places and intuitive and the menus are easy to follow. The body is by far the best since I have the k-7. So, if someone switch over to k-5, I would say good for you and you are not missing much but gain the TAv mode and access to many m42 lens with ease of use and stablized. Again, I am not saying that everyone should like the k-5, it is a matter of personal taste.
07-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wishlf Quote
I finally made my decision, ordered a K-5, it's coming on Thursday. Getting a 31mm to try it out. heard good things about that lens.
Wow, nice start. Im sure you'll love that combination, I have them and they are a joy to use and deliver gorgeous photos time after time. If you find you don't like those 2 I'd give up on pentax, maybe on photography altogether
07-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #64
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Leave it to Pentaxians to try and talk a guy out of a K5...unbelievable! It is a great camera, and I have a friend here locally that sent his D7K back the first day after using my K5 for just a few minutes. He apparently found a lot to like in the K5....and anyone that has a K5 would certainly understand that.

Best Wishes to the OP and I look forward to your comments when yours arrives and you get a little time with it. Sounds like you know your way around and will show us some nice photos from the K5. I'm just an old Squirrel shooter, but I see the shots posted by others from the K5 and they are damn fine...no doubt yours will be too.
Best Regards!
Rupert

07-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #65

Photos: Albums
Hey wishlf,
I can honestly say that you will not regret getting the K5, it's a superb piece of kit. Alright, it might have some small problems, like any camera. And I know what it feels like having a camera that's quite badly defected( I ordered two K7's and both of them were faulty ) but that's absaloutly no reason to make a sweeping statement and say "Oh, my friend has a K5 and it didn't work, that means pentax are rubbish" because pentax arn't rubbish, nor are nikon, canon, Sony, Olympus, panasonic, etc....... They are all different and in the end, it's all down to personal preference and don't let anybody tell you a specific brand is better, because they arn't.
I hope your K5 has no problems and happy shooting!!!
Regards
Bertie
07-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Great combo to start with; congratulations for your choice, you will certainly not be disappointed
07-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
... I have a friend here locally that sent his D7K back the first day after using my K5 for just a few minutes.
There are so much I don't like about the D7000 after holding and testing it at the local store compare to my k-7, except of course the fast autofocus system (speed wise but can not verify accuracy). It also looks cheap too compared to my k-7; just a personal preference I guess.

01-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #68

Photos: Gallery
Has Pentax fixed the mirror flop issue

Hi all,

I am quite new to photography, in fact i am just starting out. The most I done is taking a few pictures with a Canon 1000D at different parties and some landscape shots.

I am looking into really getting into photography and i am investing around $2000.00 in equipments. I have done some extensive readings on the subject with regards to the type and model of camera to pick for a beginer. Now, I don't like to begin at the begining. I usually start somewhere in the middle and work my way forward and backward if i missed something.

After all my research I have come to the conclusion that i am going to get myself a K-5. Mostly because of the sharp color it produces. I live somewhere on an island in the middle of nowhere and its quite difficult for me to get support for any problems with equipments. I usually have to ship everything back to the US if it needs to be fixed. I am getting my K-5 from the US. Until this weekend i had everything sorted out and was ready to order the camera until i came accross this 'mirror flop' issues. This has kind of put a doubt in my mind. I really really want that K-5 but i am thinking that if i ever get this problem that i will need to ship the camera back to the states to have it fixed and that could take weeks. My next choice would be the K-7 and I don't really want to go with a Nikon though i have heard nothing but the best about it. I am a rebel. I like to try things my way.

Now what i want to know is if any of you is aware whether Pentax has fixed this issue in the new K-5 coming out of its factories. I'd really appreciate the help and hope i can stay on this forum for years to come. I really like what Pentax is doing. FIghting with the big boys. Thanx in advance.
01-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Well you got yourself very nice lens for the begining - one advice on FA31 if you don't mind: shooting stopped down it is very good - photos look flawless, yet ordinary, BUT try to open the aperture and use its great bokeh...and the lens delivers. And they say it is even much better on film
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by victha Quote
Hi all,

I am quite new to photography, in fact i am just starting out. The most I done is taking a few pictures with a Canon 1000D at different parties and some landscape shots.

I am looking into really getting into photography and i am investing around $2000.00 in equipments. I have done some extensive readings on the subject with regards to the type and model of camera to pick for a beginer. Now, I don't like to begin at the begining. I usually start somewhere in the middle and work my way forward and backward if i missed something.

After all my research I have come to the conclusion that i am going to get myself a K-5. Mostly because of the sharp color it produces. I live somewhere on an island in the middle of nowhere and its quite difficult for me to get support for any problems with equipments. I usually have to ship everything back to the US if it needs to be fixed. I am getting my K-5 from the US. Until this weekend i had everything sorted out and was ready to order the camera until i came accross this 'mirror flop' issues. This has kind of put a doubt in my mind. I really really want that K-5 but i am thinking that if i ever get this problem that i will need to ship the camera back to the states to have it fixed and that could take weeks. My next choice would be the K-7 and I don't really want to go with a Nikon though i have heard nothing but the best about it. I am a rebel. I like to try things my way.

Now what i want to know is if any of you is aware whether Pentax has fixed this issue in the new K-5 coming out of its factories. I'd really appreciate the help and hope i can stay on this forum for years to come. I really like what Pentax is doing. FIghting with the big boys. Thanx in advance.
Vichta - it's probably best if you start a new thread on the subject, versus putting your post in the middle of an unrelated subject - you'll likely get more visibility and thus more responses.
I'm still enjoying my K5 purchased over the summer quite a bit.
01-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #71

i too were in a similar situation between picking a d7k and k5 (all of my lenses were sold so i was free).
and i went to B&H (in new york) for a closer look. i remember i spent 2 whole hour testing the 2 cameras.

one thing that looks weird to me is, with 70% of the nikon cameras there, the rubber grips are falling off... even the high end D3.
this never happened to canon, sony, pentax, or whatever, only in nikon.... (i am not saying nikon is poorly made, but i am just telling what i saw)

anyways, i think you already know what experience d7k gives, so i will list what you may get/lose if you switch:

the good:
smaller, lighter, much more robust body, even waterproofing;
better control (i never need to dig into menu when i go shooting, iso, aperture, shutter, WB, flash mode, shooting/metering mode, timer/exposure bracket all one click away)
TAv mode (i find this extremely helpful on night w/o flash situation, set the aperture, shutter, exposure and let the camera decide the iso)

the bad:
AF may be slightly slower;
you lose your favorite 24mm, but instead you get all the highly rated limited prime and one of them may be your new favorite;
not sure what else you will miss.

since you seem to care about size/weight very much, i would suggest you to give k5 a take.
01-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victha Quote
I live somewhere on an island in the middle of nowhere and its quite difficult for me to get support for any problems with equipments. I usually have to ship everything back to the US if it needs to be fixed. I am getting my K-5 from the US. Until this weekend i had everything sorted out and was ready to order the camera until i came accross this 'mirror flop' issues. This has kind of put a doubt in my mind. I really really want that K-5 but i am thinking that if i ever get this problem that i will need to ship the camera back to the states to have it fixed and that could take weeks. My next choice would be the K-7
The 'mirror flop' really is a 'minor issue' (except for anyone it affects) as it is hardly widespread. I have two K5s and even if they develop an issue (full disclosure : I was an early adopter and one had an issue that fixed immediately) I'd just buy another - just a superb camera.

If you are really worried about the possibility of having a problem with any DSLR (whether it be a Nikon or a Pentax) then I'd just say buy 2 Pentax Kr cameras (assuming you don't need WR) ! Avoid the K7 (I had this before the K5 and it nearly drove me to Nikon) as the Kr sensor is far superior.

QuoteOriginally posted by telly0050 Quote
since you seem to care about size/weight very much, i would suggest you to give k5 a take.
Telly - too late mate. He bought the K5 and 31 Ltd last year (see the dates above) !
01-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A new Pentaxian with a K5 and FA31? Now that is a big dose of heroin! congrats and we'll see you soon in the FA43, FA77, etc threads, lol.