Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sounds like all k5's have these problems.....you have to know that is just not the case or anywhere near the case. The vast majority of K5 owners report no problems...let's just keep it honest.
The D7000 has several problems currently, but again, the vast majority report no problems. It is not like buyers of either camera are guaranteed a problem....that is not anywhere near accurate. The question is, do you have a problem with your K5? Most all answer that with an emphatic No!

It is fair to compare the two cameras, and I think the K5 has features that give it the edge...but that is my just take on it. I would not tell anyone not to buy a D7000 because it was riddled with problems, that would be dishonest. Same with the K5...and dishonesty is not an attribute in any circle.
Regards!
My D7000 is working perfectly, no complain. I just prefer the size and robust body of K-5 especially after seeing the youtube video of the guy pouring water onto the body . And the I believe the AF on the K-5 is sufficience for me. Anyway I am sure I have 14 days to test it out.

07-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by wishlf Quote
I really like the compact size of k-5, I like it's just a little smaller than D7000, but I think it helps. And I also love the knobs on K-5, designated knobs for AF selection, Auto ISO and Metering. Also love the ISO button placement. Where in D7000 you have to press the button then turn the knob. . . .
Just to clear up one thing - on the D7000, in Aperture and Shutter priority you can set it to control ISO from the rear control dial without having to push any buttons at all. I keep mine set to Aperture priority with the front dial controlling aperture and the rear dial controlling ISO. It works very well - exactly the same way I have my K-7 set up. I don't think I've ever pushed an ISO button, but I change it all the time.
07-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #33

Im no fanboy...of any brand

I have owned almost all Pentax DSLrs starting with DS...and to the recent K5. Of ALL only the K5 has had problems and its at Criscam for repair for over a month0 waiting for parts. I have invested thousands of dollars in Pentax Lenses and was only commenting on the OPs dilemma on pursuing a 'better' camera. K5 has QC problems..more than any other Pentax in the recent past.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
To come out and say K5 is plagued by QC problems is absolute rubbish. I, for one, am sick and tired for Canikon fans doing this on this Forum.
It has been stated on here repeatedly, (yes some people have experienced problems, I won't deny that), but it is those people who speak out.

The very satisfied users of the K5 do not get on here all that often simply to say what a great camera it is, sans problems.
The reading does not in any way give a true indication of the true superb quality of the K5.

Do not be mislead by such comments and buy with confidence.

As to your decision of the Nikon over the Pentax, I am not prepared to make comment either way, as both are truly top cameras.
07-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wishlf Quote
Hmm, never heard of those issues, I'll look into that. The lens line up currently on my mind is 15mm F/4.0, one of the 31mm F/1.8, 35mm Macro F/2.0 & 40mm F/2.8 and a 77mm F/1.8
My favourite kit is the DA15, FA31 and FA77. That set of 3 is as good as it gets, each one is a joy to shoot with and delivers stunning IQ.

07-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #35

I love my DA 15mm f4.

The only way it could be improved is if it were a sharp-wide-open 16mm f2.8... (ARE YOU LISTENING, PENTAX?)
07-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zuikoholic Quote
I love my DA 15mm f4.

The only way it could be improved is if it were a sharp-wide-open 16mm f2.8... (ARE YOU LISTENING, PENTAX?)
How about sharp wide open DA14/2,8
07-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well if you are attracted by the philosophy of the Pentax line - meaning replacing these monster zooms by a small set of compact limited primes, then go for the K5; I'm very happy with mine.
For the features, note that the in body image stabilisation allows for the build of these compact limited primes.
My set of lenses includes DA15 limited, DA21 limited, FA 43 limited, DA 70 limited
I also have the FA31 but it is'nt a compact lens though; I like the FA43 very much

Regards

07-24-2011, 02:33 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I am a bit worried about Otis, as my Scottish friend would say "he looks no well".
The poor bugger again presents with a severe case of of jaundice and if I was you I would take him for a liver function test and you will find he may have to go on a dialysis white balance machine.

Greetings
07-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #39

"How about sharp wide open DA14/2,8"

wellll.... for one, i've heard it isn't, otherwise i would've bought one.

also, the 15mm flat out kills it for portability (size, weight, compactness/built in hood), and IS sharp at f4. i just wish i had that extra stop...
07-24-2011, 03:15 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I am a bit worried about Otis, as my Scottish friend would say "he looks no well".
The poor bugger again presents with a severe case of of jaundice and if I was you I would take him for a liver function test and you will find he may have to go on a dialysis white balance machine.

Greetings
Hi
After dialysis

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-31-2011 at 07:11 AM.
07-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
How serious is this QC problem? Pentax have already address the stained sensor issue. What about the mirror flopping and Focusing issue? Are they fixable? Is there any other issue other than those? What's their service turn around time?
07-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
I have owned almost all Pentax DSLrs starting with DS...and to the recent K5. Of ALL only the K5 has had problems and its at Criscam for repair for over a month0 waiting for parts. I have invested thousands of dollars in Pentax Lenses and was only commenting on the OPs dilemma on pursuing a 'better' camera. K5 has QC problems..more than any other Pentax in the recent past.
Thanks for your input sagiboy. Whats wrong with your k-5? How long since you bought you camera and found out about the issue? I see that you are selling off your Pentax lenses. If you have already invested so much. Why not wait for it to come back? I am sure u will lose a lOt of mOney selling them off.
07-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #43
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi

Greetings

Nope...Otis is in perfect health. Every since I started photography, I have been well known for my preference of a slight yellow tint......this has been discussed many times here and at DPR.......I just prefer it! Otis....he likes it too!

Sometimes I do carry it too far.....maybe.
[IMG] [/IMG]

To assure you Otis is in top shape, you watch this and see if you think you can handle a bear like Otis can.....keep watching to the end, it is short and sweet. Otis allows no intruders to threaten his clan......
Animals Being Dicks

Best Regards!
07-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have been well known for my preference of a slight yellow tint...

Fair enough then, I'll shut up about it and take my white balancer some were else.

Greetings
07-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fair enough then, I'll shut up about it and take my white balancer some were else.

Greetings
Don't go away mad...I didn't say you weren't right....I just have this thing for yellow tint in my photos..... I hear about it fairly often, tried to change, but I always let it creep back.
Kind of corny...but I like yellow!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Yes, I bought her the jacket!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!