Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Off camera flash

So what cord or parts are people using to get their flash off camera. When i shoot weddings, I use the Stroboframe quick flip bracket, and have always just used a Canon or Nikon off camera cord. I'm getting the Metz 58 Af2.

Pentax seems to have a multi part solution, just curious what people are doing.

Thanks!

07-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tend to only do Manual off-camera, so I just use some wireless triggers. RF-602's... others use the Cactus V5's to great success.

If you wanted pTTL - you can use the onboard flash to trigger Wireless TTL capable flashes, or use the Optical Slave if its built in.

Theres also the Sync port if you aren't worried about pTTL either.

Given the above options, I personally haven't found a need to use the numerous wired options available...
07-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I tend to only do Manual off-camera, so I just use some wireless triggers. RF-602's... others use the Cactus V5's to great success.

If you wanted pTTL - you can use the onboard flash to trigger Wireless TTL capable flashes, or use the Optical Slave if its built in.

Theres also the Sync port if you aren't worried about pTTL either.

Given the above options, I personally haven't found a need to use the numerous wired options available...
Forgot about the sync port... I wish Vivitar still made 283/285's!
07-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Forgot about the sync port... I wish Vivitar still made 283/285's!
I'm really liking the Yongnuo YN-560's ... at ~$65 a pop if you look hard enough, they just can't be beat... GN58 (@105mm), tilt, swivel, zoom, built in Bounce card + wide diffuser, 16 power levels down to 1/128, Sync Port, audible 'ready' and 'fired' confirmations, dual mode Optical Slave (can ignore pre-flash) ... just they are only Manual tis all (which is no drawback for me )

07-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use genuine Pentax P-TTL cable solution and I'm happy wih it. It is very reliable and extremely well built. It is as expensive as an entry-level flash unit but really a pro grade equipment. I also had a chinese made P-TTL extending cable but it failed after few weeks.
When the flash is on the wire, I have the largest lumiquest SB attached to it (model lq124).
07-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I use genuine Pentax P-TTL cable solution and I'm happy wih it. It is very reliable and extremely well built. It is as expensive as an entry-level flash unit but really a pro grade equipment. I also had a chinese made P-TTL extending cable but it failed after few weeks.
When the flash is on the wire, I have the largest lumiquest SB attached to it (model lq124).
Elho_Cid,

I know there are a few parts involved would you mind explaing what is needed and what the parts do?

I understand the cord part, but do you just need 2 of the shoe parts or are there 2 different kinds of shoe parts? i.e. one for the camera hotshoe and one with a 1/4 screw hole to mount to your bracket?

Thanks for any help...
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I use a is a hot shoe adapter FG, 0,5m extension cord F 5P and a Hot Shoe Adapter F. If you have a AF540 flash, you can connect the 5P cord directly to the flash, needing only one shoe part.
The hot shoe adapter FG doesn't block the on-camera flash (if you want to use it too). If you have 2 external flashes and you want to use one of them on the camera, put the hot shoe adapter F on the camera - it has P-TTL contacts on both bottom and top and connector for cord on its side.
Othere is also an off camera shoe adapter F module which I do not have and which is probably designed to be mounted on a tripod (1/4 screw probably, but I'm not sure).
I hope I'm clear enough.

07-25-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
What I use a is a hot shoe adapter FG, 0,5m extension cord F 5P and a Hot Shoe Adapter F. If you have a AF540 flash, you can connect the 5P cord directly to the flash, needing only one shoe part.
The hot shoe adapter FG doesn't block the on-camera flash (if you want to use it too). If you have 2 external flashes and you want to use one of them on the camera, put the hot shoe adapter F on the camera - it has P-TTL contacts on both bottom and top and connector for cord on its side.
Othere is also an off camera shoe adapter F module which I do not have and which is probably designed to be mounted on a tripod (1/4 screw probably, but I'm not sure).
I hope I'm clear enough.
Thanks! That helps a lot!