Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Firmware update?

My K5 can't be updated from 1.03 to 1.11, I definitely played it to the rules but I seems not to manage, when switching on while pushing the menu button it still says: VER: 1.03...
Update downloaded from the Japanese site (mac).
Any suggestions?

07-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you've copied the correct firmware file and that it is in the root of the SD card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx for the swift answer, but that's what I did...
07-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #4

Did you remember to unpack the zip file, and only copy the file "FWDC209B.BIN" onto your memory card?

07-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've had this happen to me and in my case, I copied the wrong firmware (v1.11 for the K-r instead for the K-5)- took me a bit to realize it, but I bet that's what's causing your problems, too!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I found it!
I was so stupid to dragg the firmware file in the DCM file, which is always on the card, not alongside it...
07-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Damaged File

I have tried to download the new firmware on my K5. I have used both methods. copying the unzipped files ( both the readme and FWDC209B.bin file) onto an SD card and attaching the K5 directly to my PC with the supplied USB cable. In both cases I end up with a DCIM folder and the two files. In all cases, when I turn on the camera with the menu button pressed in I get the message "Update File Is Damaged". The DCIM folder in both cases is empty. I have downloaded the update file from the Pentax Forum home Page and also tried it from Pentax Canada software upload page in all situations I end up with the same message when I try to upgrade. Should I be moving over the folder called: K5_ E111M which after unzipping contains both the readme file and the bin file. I hope it is something I am doing wrong versus something wrong with the camera.
07-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
I have downloaded the update file from the Pentax Forum home Page and also tried it from Pentax Canada software upload page in all situations I end up with the same message when I try to upgrade.
Try the file from pentax.jp: Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Should I be moving over the folder called: K5_ E111M which after unzipping contains both the readme file and the bin file. I hope it is something I am doing wrong versus something wrong with the camera.
I've never attached the USB cable on my K-5 to my PC before, and have always used the SD card method, so here goes: plug your SD card into your computer or card reader (I'm assuming it's a Window's based machine here, not a Mac). Then go to "Computer/My Computer". You should see the SD card there, it might be listed as "F:", or whatever drive. Double click on it. You are now in the root directory of the SD card. Copy the "fwdc209b.bin" file from wherever it is on your computer to this root directory. Then remove the card, place it in the camera, and turn the camera on while holding the "menu" button. That should work.

07-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

the bin file must be in the root directly.... I usually delete everything or format the sim card before copying and pasting the bin file... as mentioned above, make sure it is the correct file/version and for the K5
07-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Going Crazy

I have cleared the card both by deleting all the files on it using the computer and I have also put the SD card in the camera and reformatted it. In both cases the card was clean except for the DCIM folder which has nothing in it. I have put the .bin file inside the DCIM folder...didn't work. Moved the .bin file outside the DCIM folder didn't work. When the .bin file was within the DCIM folder, I got my current version shown up when I turned on the camera.......3.10. When I put the .bin file outside the DCIM folder, I got the error message "update file is damaged". This happened both when I copied the .bin file to the SD card when it was in the camera (vis a vis the USB cable) or when I put the SD card into it's own reader and moved the file directly on to the card using "windows Explorer". Hope this helps with you analyzing my problem. Thanks for all your help.
07-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I assume you mean v1.10 or v1.03. Are you Certain you have the correct File?

Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Unless you intend to use the GPS unit, there really isn't a need to update but I can understand your frustration.

It shouldn't matter How you get the file on to the card. With the USB connection, the camera just becomes the card reader. If you are seeing both the BIN file And the DCIM directory, then the bin is in the correct place. There isn't any need to have any other files on there.

07-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter

That is exactly what I am seeing. I am just worried that there is something wrong with my camera. I just bought it about a month ago. Cannot figure out what that damn message means or how to fix it.
07-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Inactive Account

The only time I've ever seen that message is when I tried to change a BIN file so I could go back one step from v1.03 to v1.02. I should probably consider myself lucky that was all that happened, the error message.

Try this (with the usual do at your own risk warnings, I've scanned it with AVG and it is reported virus free)..

http://www.rolleiman.com/Photos/HelpandStuff/k5_e103w.EXE

It is the last 1.03 (Windows version) I downloaded from the Japan site. One of 3 things will happen (make sure your battery is charged)..

1. It will install
2. It will tell you that you are already beyond or at this version.
3. It will give you the error message.

In the case of 1 (this is the same one that is running my camera right now), follow it up with your 1.11.

In the case of 2, we're right back where we started.

In the case of 3, Contact Pentax and ask them to help troubleshoot the problem (I find live chat works quite well for getting answers rather than doing an email contact).

Is the camera working otherwise?

At this point, that's about the best I'm going to be able to do for you..

Last edited by JeffJS; 07-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.
07-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter

JeffJS

Thanks for all your help Jeff. My camera says I have 1.03 if I hit the menu button and turn the camera on at the same time. I wonder if my system is not unzipping the file correctly. I don't know if this is possible Jeff but can you download the updtae and send me the unzipped file which I will copy onto a SD card and try and use that file to update. Would be interesting if I get the same message. Otherwise, as you suggest, I will have to contact Pentax.
07-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Not only Possible but Done..

http://www.rolleiman.com/Photos/HelpandStuff/Firmware/FWDC209B.BIN

I have Not installed this on my camera yet but I'm sure it's the same file everyone else is using. I have no desire to fix what ain't broke and don't have the GPS unit (yet).