Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 problem or are my eyes going bad???

Okay, this is almost killing my photography. Just recently (probably the last couple weeks to a month) I have been really having a hard time MF. Here's what happens: when it looks in focus to me in the viewfinder it's actually front focused. So I have to guess at things by back focusing. Also, when using AF it's the same thing—it never looks in focus but when I correct it and get it to look right, it's FF! So it's pretty much a guess at MF or just "trusting" that AF is right. Of course, once I pull it up on the screen I can see exactly how it turned out, but for fast-action photography it doesn't work for me to be constantly be looking at my photos on the screen.
I run the diopter all the way at -; I've tried pushing it up (+) but that makes things worse.

So, the big question—did something happen in the viewfinder of my K-5 or are my young eyes aging really quickly???

(btw, this has just recently started happening to me, I use to not have any problems at all)

07-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Is it possible that something happened to shift the Focus Screen?

07-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you checked the dioper adjustment on the viewfinder? Can't tell you how often mine has gotten slightly knocked off center and made things look OOF when they really weren't.
07-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Have you checked the dioper adjustment on the viewfinder? Can't tell you how often mine has gotten slightly knocked off center and made things look OOF when they really weren't.
My thought too. Check your diopter.

07-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

That would be my guess as well. I would make sure it is clipped in all the way.
07-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Uh, how would have something happened? How do I make sure it's in all the way/correctly?

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Uh, where should it be? Right in the middle??? I *thought* mine has always been at the far - side... I'll stick it right in the middle and see if that helps!
07-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Uh, where should it be? Right in the middle??? I *thought* mine has always been at the far - side... I'll stick it right in the middle and see if that helps!
You should adjust the dioper to whatever setting makes the text at the bottom of the VF the most clear. For me it's with the slider all the way to the right (looking at the back of the camera), but obviously everyone's setting is going to be specific to them.

07-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

My first Studio model shoot with the K5 a while back......after about an hour...all of a sudden everything went blurry......stopped the shoot...cussed the K5......went loco.....called Otis to stand by for an attack in Tokyo........
Checked the diopter.....yeah, typical Rupert screw-up. The key was that AF shots were fine, but not on the viewfinder......I usually shoot manual at model shoots, so it caught me off guard when I couldn't get any shot to focus clearly.

Best Regards.
07-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Uh oh! Just like I had tried before, diopter adjustment didn't do anything for me except made everything a lot blurrier. I'm like you, dgaies, I run it all the way to the right.
07-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Uh oh! Just like I had tried before, diopter adjustment didn't do anything for me except made everything a lot blurrier. I'm like you, dgaies, I run it all the way to the right.
Then it does sound like your focus screen got knocked out of place a bit, although I don't know exactly how that might happen.
07-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

Reading that others have the same problem, I'm definitely sending my K-5 to repair. I have exactly the same problem, MF is impossible due to this unless you intentionally back focus. Diopter adjustment should not affect focusing (you just see the focusing screen correctly), despite this I have tested numerous diopter positions with no effect on the problem.
07-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phoenix_ Quote
Reading that others have the same problem, I'm definitely sending my K-5 to repair. I have exactly the same problem, MF is impossible due to this unless you intentionally back focus. Diopter adjustment should not affect focusing (you just see the focusing screen correctly), despite this I have tested numerous diopter positions with no effect on the problem.
Hmm... That makes me feel a little better, at least I know that it's probably not my eyes now! Definitely let us know how the repair goes...

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Then it does sound like your focus screen got knocked out of place a bit, although I don't know exactly how that might happen.
I'm scratching my head on how it could have happened if that is the case. Hmm... I've never replaced/exchanged a focus screen so I don't know anything about it; how can I get it back into place if it did get whacked?
07-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm scratching my head on how it could have happened if that is the case. Hmm... I've never replaced/exchanged a focus screen so I don't know anything about it; how can I get it back into place if it did get whacked?
You've got me, I don't really know how it might have happened, or if it's realistic that it happened at all. It's just that the symptoms (the image in the VF not matching up with the image you record) seem to suggest an issue with the focusing screen. If it was like this when you bought it, I would say you need different sized shims. But if this just happened a few weeks ago, not sure what would cause it change, short of getting physically knocked out of place.
07-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Inactive Account

It's the same as on the K10d (different screen of course)..

07-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

As we have AF finetuning for individual lenses and also a global setting, I wonder if the latter affects MF too somehow?