Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PTP - no support for image capture?

I am working on PTP based remote capture software for iOS devices.

With great disapointment I found that the K-5 doesn't offer the official Image Capture functions (that's why OSX's "Image Capture" app doesn't let us take pictures with the K-5).

Curiously, though, the K-5 lists a few undocumented commands it supports. I wonder if those are Pentax's own capture commands? After all, the K20D offered such a function, so why shouldn't the K-5, too?

Does anyone know ANY software that can capture images from the K-5 via the USB cable directly into the computer? Then I could perhaps learn from that software how it's done.

07-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
I am working on PTP based remote capture software for iOS devices.

With great disapointment I found that the K-5 doesn't offer the official Image Capture functions (that's why OSX's "Image Capture" app doesn't let us take pictures with the K-5).

Curiously, though, the K-5 lists a few undocumented commands it supports. I wonder if those are Pentax's own capture commands? After all, the K20D offered such a function, so why shouldn't the K-5, too?

Does anyone know ANY software that can capture images from the K-5 via the USB cable directly into the computer? Then I could perhaps learn from that software how it's done.
search "tethering"
07-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Looks like there's really not such functionality in the firmware (yet).
Seeing pktether, the best one can get is to let the camera take pictures blindly and _afterwards_ download those. Sigh.
11-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Roger dodger, just found out that as well this PM. I'm supposed to take photos for the Xmas festival here by using a direct download to my macbook... So now I'll have to do it the regular way - to several dozen e-mail addresses.
You mention the K20D is OK so I'll have to check my K10D later.
Rats.