Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

How do i increase my shutter speed to over 180th this a flash light.?

Dear all, I am trying to achieve a portrait effect with my flash where the subject looks like they are in complete darkness, with only a partially lit face. I was under the impression that this is achieved by shooting flash directly at the face, then using a fast shutter speed to cancel out the ambient light, so showing the face in the dark. I can't seem to achieve this at 180th of a second despite playing around with my flash power settings.

Please enlighten me!!!!!!

Thanks

Paul

07-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Set your flash to high speed synch (HSS).

Another way to get the affect you seek is to set your flash on manual, and turn the flash power way down. That way, you can shoot at 1/180s and just have a touch of light. What aperture do you want to use? That's another way of reducing the amount of light, but it changes the depth of field, of course.
07-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need an external flash capable of high speed sync (HSS) in order to use a shutter speed faster than 1/180 on all pentax cameras. One thing you can do to ease up on the flash is use Flash compensation. Push the down arrow of your 4 way controller and turn the rear dial to turn the flash output down. To really gain full control however, you really want an external shoe mount unit.

07-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 10speeduk Quote
Dear all, I am trying to achieve a portrait effect with my flash where the subject looks like they are in complete darkness, with only a partially lit face. I was under the impression that this is achieved by shooting flash directly at the face, then using a fast shutter speed to cancel out the ambient light, so showing the face in the dark. I can't seem to achieve this at 180th of a second despite playing around with my flash power settings.

Please enlighten me!!!!!!

Thanks

Paul
This is going to depend on what the ambient light is like as well as the environment you are in.

If you are outdoors in bright sun, 1/180 doesn't over power the ambient, you have to use the aperture for that which kills flash power. Additionally, you will want a snoot of 1/8th grid on the flash to ensure that it is only hitting the face. Otherwise the spread on the flash will be too wide and will hit everything that your lens can see.

If you are indoors, the flash might be bouncing off the walls and filling in the shadows too much, which could be perceived as not overpowering the ambient. Again, you will want a snoot or grid to precisely direct the flash beam. You might need black cards to stop the spill too.

07-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I have a Metz 58 af2. When attached to the camera the shutter speed maxes out at 180th. Is there a way to increase the shutter speed whilst using this flash? I have a stand and cactus v5 on the way. Cheers paul
07-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I have a Metz 58 af2. When attached to the camera the shutter speed maxes out at 180th. Is there a way to increase the shutter speed whilst using this flash? I have a stand and cactus v5 on the way. Cheers paul
Yes, when attached to the camera, enable HSS on the flash. You will then be able to raise the shutterspeed above 1/180th at the cost of power.

Off camera, you will need a p-ttl master flash (pentax 540, metz 58...) on camera to send the p-ttl signal to the off camera flash. With wireless triggers, like the cactus v5, you will need to use manual mode on the off camera flash and cannot use HSS.
07-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just set the flash to PTTL-HSS and it should allow you to go over 1/180th second on your shutter speed. Just be warned that this does decrease the power of your flash significantly.

07-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheers chaps! I feel like a right numpty now! Will go and try this out now

Thanks so much, it has been driving me crazy!

Just done it, hss does indeed allow faster shutter speeds. It turns out the snoot was all that was needed, even at 1/180, this allowed a shot that looked like it was surrounded by darkness. Thanks everyone.

Paul

Last edited by 10speeduk; 07-25-2011 at 01:05 PM.