Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 to K5 : Keep Both????

I have a K-7 which I am getting more and more proficient, but I have the urge to get a K-5 in a few months......

If I get a new K-5, should I keep the K-7 also......I'd love to find a rationalization to keep them both, but I really am not the type of person to go anywhere with both cameras hanging on my neck......or one on the tripod and one on my neck.....

I have some great lenses, and hate changing lenses back and forth, but it seems so pretentious to go anywhere using both at the same time.....

Can I have some rational thinking on this?

07-25-2011, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-7 has worse IQ, and it really starts to show after a while with the K-5- so no, I wouldn't keep both, but instead try to get as much for the K-7 as possible until it falls in value.

This difference becomes even more apparent when comparing the K-7 and the K-5 to higher-end cameras - that's my take.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Lol...some people may think it's pretentious to have 2 cameras strung on the neck, others may view you as a "pro". I for one say sell the K-7, get yourself another nice lens, and live with swapping lenses.
07-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not pretentious. These are just tools to get a job done. It's not like they're jewelry. You're just capturing your moments in the most efficient way for you. Now carrying two cameras is kind of a pain most of the time, but unless they're just for show, not pretentious. If you wanted to give your K-7 to your significant other as something for you to do together, that would be a good reason to keep it. Another reason to keep it would be to leave an M42 adapter in the K-7 and use it for old manual lenses. You could also install a focusing screen into it. If you don't need a backup camera though, sell the K-7 while it's still worth something and upgrade.

07-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Drotj33
I had two K-7s and bought the K-5. On the basis of one 10 day wildlife shoot I sold both k-7s and ordered another K-5.

Reason: The low light resolution, very noticeably less noise and the ability to FINALLY shoot acceptable images at ISO 800

Have a good one!

Murray
PENTAX Photo Gallery: Artist Bio - Murray O'Neill
07-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you need a backup camera, keep both. If you're one not to want to switch lenses mid-shoot or don't want to miss anything while you switch, keep both.

If you're a casual shooter with no backup needs, sell the K7 and get yourself a lens, grip, or other accessory you can really make use of!
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I kept my K10D as a backup. I couldn't get a lot for it so I left it hanging on my poor neck as the second weight to the glorious K-5. It's great to go shooting when both the cameras get their FA*s :-)
I hate swapping the FA24 for FA85 and back. They both feel like they should remain mounted forever :*D

07-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Banned

I had the plan to keep the K-7 as second body to work with. That story did hold on for about one weekend and I descided to sell the K-7 and order a second K-5. If you'r not walking around with two body's then the K-7 will be sitting in comfort at home in your display cabinet unless you sell it.
07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd keep it as a back up in case anything happened with your other one, if you can afford to.
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely! If you've never had to go w/o a body for an extended period of time (CRIS turn-around is +/- 5wks), let me tell you--it's hell! Besides, there are times when carrying 2 bodies is really handy.

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I'd keep it as a back up in case anything happened with your other one, if you can afford to.
07-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, my take is this: if you're going to wait a few months before you buy the K-5 then I would wait at least till next Winter since the K-3 (or whatever it'll be) should be released about then (if things follow the same calendar as previous camera releases). Then you have the option of getting the very latest (which should offer improvements that even the K-5 doesn't have) or you have the option of getting a K-5 for a much cheaper price than you'd get it for now.
However, if you aren't planing on waiting a few months, then I say buy the K-5 today. Sell the K-7 and just start shooting. You'll never regret it.
07-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A back up is good when you can't be without a camera. Like when you shoot weddings or other important events. Thats why I kept my K200D. Plus it's my first DSLR and I've grown to fond of it to sell it.
07-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You always need a backup...for me it is my K20D. Otherwise, you will never use your K7 again after using the K5........trust me!
Regards!
07-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I kept my K7. Sure, it isn't great at high iso, but it is a perfect back up camera/ second camera. AS long as I know its limitations and stay within them, I have no problems with it at all and since it is the same body style as the k5, I don't struggle with the different controls like I did when I was using a K20 and K7 together.

If you have money for two K5s, it is one thing, but if not, I think a K7 is perfect back up.

I can certainly tell the difference in the files in post processing, but I would doubt that most others could tell the difference after I am done. Certainly not after they are printed (or posted at web sizes).
07-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I dont have the K-5 but reading this thread makes me feel......outdated