Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I hate you kyteflyer!

You must have one heck of a darksite.........right?
LOL! Not really. I live in the suburbs but not far from some country roads. Its pretty busy out there and the lights from cars get in the way, light pollution +++, this spot is just a layby on a road between the cities of Newcastle and Maitland, NSW, Australia. Its all about the timing, and getting there at a time that the light from those cities is not also in the general direction of what you want to be shooting.

That said... really... its my second time out. I'll be looking for better sites soon, but the further I get from civilisation the more anxious I become. I really need to notify someone where I am going, and for how long. You think about stuff like that when you get to be old like me ~@|@~

07-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philby85 Quote
Wow !!! They are great shots, well done mate. Might have to have a go myself.

phil
Thanks Philby.. I'm sorry I missed your remark on my first round :-/ I do appreciate it
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 739
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
You think about stuff like that when you get to be old like me ~@|@~
OT slightly - but if its a genuine concern - consider one of these: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101

I used it to give friends/family piece of mind when travelling on my bike through Europe.. but lots of people also use it around the place because as you know Mobile Coverage can get patchy off the beaten track in this country - these things work as long as you can see the sky(well - a satelite - but its pretty comprehensive network). Quite a few of my friends that go riding out in the middle of nowhere around NT and FNQ etc carry them...

They have a "Panic" button and their message centre can communicate with a nominated person on your behalf, and there is a 911 button (I know - wrong number in this country ) that contacts Emerg. Services. Australia. Unit has built in GPS so they can locate you, and they will attempt to contact you directly on your mobile. Plus it fits in a pocket.,

Pretty reasonable given the device that it is ($99 + small annual fee) - and the piece of mind is probably worth it alone. It can 'track' you as well if you want so you can use it to build routes/maps as well (they are secure)

Just a thought...

Last edited by adr1an; 07-29-2011 at 10:30 PM.
07-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
OT slightly - but if its a genuine concern - consider one of these: SPOT Personal Tracker
Thank you *very* much. Yes, it is of genuine concern, I am getting on a bit, my health is in decline and I live alone so nobody would notice for a day or 6, so this would be excellent. (and I wonder if there is something like this available for the iphone...)

Thanks again

07-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 739
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Thank you *very* much. Yes, it is of genuine concern, I am getting on a bit, my health is in decline and I live alone so nobody would notice for a day or 6, so this would be excellent. (and I wonder if there is something like this available for the iphone...)

Thanks again
There is a few tracking apps for the iPhone - the problem is - it relies on Mobile Coverage. If you have a whoopsie with no mobile coverage....

The advantage of the SPOT is that it works anywhere - regardless of mobile coverage. Plus it will send out your 'help me' signal for 7 days, and will track you for 14 days.. The Iphone would last.. about half a day transmitting I put a bit of thought into the subject when considering what I would do lying in a ditch halfway between Nowhere and Timbuktu... Plus, iphones break very easily - this thing very rugged and easy to find in an instant given its bright orange housing

But if you are confident you'll always have reception - than the iphone apps might just do the trick. Search for "GPS Tracking" in the AppStore...
07-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Croatia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 100
K-5 is very capable camera for astrophotography.
This is my image made from 30 individual frames of 30s exposure at ISO3200. During PP I've substracted dark frames to lower noise. Tracking was achieved with cheap (160$) german equatorial mount. The image was taken with Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 EX lens at 10mm f/8


07-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #22
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,342
Impressive shot of the Summer Triangle!
07-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #23
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland
Posts: 31
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Thanks Philby.. I'm sorry I missed your remark on my first round :-/ I do appreciate it
No problem mate, glad to hear your having fun, thats what its all about. Hope you post some more soon.

phil

07-30-2011, 02:19 AM   #24
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Acheron Quote
K-5 is very capable camera for astrophotography.
This is my image made from 30 individual frames of 30s exposure at ISO3200. During PP I've substracted dark frames to lower noise. Tracking was achieved with cheap (160$) german equatorial mount. The image was taken with Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 EX lens at 10mm f/8
Wow... 30 frames??? I guess you would need that mount and tracking system if you are going to do that. Love the super wide, that's magic!
07-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philby85 Quote
No problem mate, glad to hear your having fun, thats what its all about. Hope you post some more soon.

phil
Back atcha! Out you go, I want to see other people trying this. Its really fascinating me.
07-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Croatia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 100
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Wow... 30 frames??? I guess you would need that mount and tracking system if you are going to do that. Love the super wide, that's magic!

Thanks! For tracking purposes I've used Skywatcher EQ1 mount. This is mount is capable for carrying loads up to 3-4kg and track Earths' rotation.
Procedure is quite simple since 10mm is very forgiving for tracking errors. Tripod with mount needs to be placed on solid surface and polar axis on mount must be pointed to North Star (Polaris or Alpha Ursa Minoris). After that You need to point your camera in direction you want and activate tracking. For imaging purposes I have used interval shooting options while camera was set to Manual exposure mode. I 've dialed in 30 sec exposure on ISO3200 and activated interval shooting of 30 pics with 40 seconds interval between exposures. After shooting was completed, I took another series of 20 dark frame exposures with same settings.
Stacking was done with DeepSkyStacker, a freeware available on internet (it works best with DNG file format) and after stacking, image was procesed in Photoshop. Whole process of creating image wasn't very time consuming, it took me about 1.5h to complete everything.

Sorry for bad English, I got little rusty with it
07-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,338
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Acheron Quote
Thanks! For tracking purposes I've used Skywatcher EQ1 mount. This is mount is capable for carrying loads up to 3-4kg and track Earths' rotation.
Procedure is quite simple since 10mm is very forgiving for tracking errors. Tripod with mount needs to be placed on solid surface and polar axis on mount must be pointed to North Star (Polaris or Alpha Ursa Minoris). After that You need to point your camera in direction you want and activate tracking. For imaging purposes I have used interval shooting options while camera was set to Manual exposure mode. I 've dialed in 30 sec exposure on ISO3200 and activated interval shooting of 30 pics with 40 seconds interval between exposures. After shooting was completed, I took another series of 20 dark frame exposures with same settings.
Stacking was done with DeepSkyStacker, a freeware available on internet (it works best with DNG file format) and after stacking, image was procesed in Photoshop. Whole process of creating image wasn't very time consuming, it took me about 1.5h to complete everything.

Sorry for bad English, I got little rusty with it
Your English is just fine!

Stacking is something I just never thought to do... but in order to get the shots exactly, you would *need* the tracker and mount, and thats beyond me, financially, at the moment. However, theres a neat telescope shop in my city, not too far from me, so I rather think I might be seen hanging around there a lot over the next few months

Noted that DeepSkyStacker which I have seen others mention, is only available for Windows... I guess I'll start seeking something for OSX.
07-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #28
Junior Member
magnosantos's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lisboa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 46
Bulb mode also turns off the shake reduction system,
08-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #29
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: victoria bc canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 100
Night shots.

Hi Everyone.
A couple of questions and comments. First of all, great shots. I tried some star shots last night but my results were poor. I was at f8 / 800 iso for 60 to 90 seconds. I have a couple of theories. A, it just wasn't dark enough about an hour after after sunset or there is just to much light pollution. You can't see all that many stars with the naked eye. Also can anyone tell me if you can make the shutter stay open for an hour or two (for star trails) without manually holding the shutter release. I am going the Desert in Namibia this november and would like to to take some night shots.
Thanks.
James
Attached Images
 
08-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #30
Senior Member
KansasHorizons.com's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kansas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 183
QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Hi Everyone.
A couple of questions and comments. First of all, great shots. I tried some star shots last night but my results were poor. I was at f8 / 800 iso for 60 to 90 seconds. I have a couple of theories. A, it just wasn't dark enough about an hour after after sunset or there is just to much light pollution. You can't see all that many stars with the naked eye. Also can anyone tell me if you can make the shutter stay open for an hour or two (for star trails) without manually holding the shutter release. I am going the Desert in Namibia this november and would like to to take some night shots.
Thanks.
James
F/8 is way too tight. Open that up and head for 1600 or higher for that short of a shot. F/8 was the biggest reason this didn't take...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, exposure, info, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, secs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night Photography kyteflyer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 03-18-2011 03:47 PM
It's night time and I'd like to take my little girl out for some night photography Student Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 02-17-2011 12:20 AM
Help! k-x night photography HoBykoYan Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 02-22-2010 11:10 PM
Misc my second try at night photography Duch Photo Critique 2 02-20-2010 12:31 AM
K7 Astro (night) photo fillerupmac Post Your Photos! 13 07-27-2009 04:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top