Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shots. I wouldn't have believed you could get that much detail from a rather wide-angle lens.

With a tripod, I often use the 2-second timer to minimize camera shake and eliminate the shake reduction feature. If the camera is immobilized with a tripod, the SR function tries to compensate for shake that isn't there, thus in itself causing some fuzziness from the mechanism.

Makes me want to shoot some night skies - unfortunately, the city lights around here cause too much light backscatter for what would otherwise be high contrast photos.

Good on ya!

John

08-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
F/8 is way too tight. Open that up and head for 1600 or higher for that short of a shot. F/8 was the biggest reason this didn't take...
Agreed (said she, who's only been out twice). I would go as open as you can. In my case with the 15mm, that's f/4, and with the 43mm its f/1.9. I'm planning to do a run with the 15mm again, because of the SR still being on (I had not used the timer) so even though the 15mm shots were "ok" I think they could be better. I'm looking for shorter exposure and possibly even 3200 ISO. I'm doing trial and error. Investigation of costs of astro equipment has revealed I need to make do... so I am making do.
08-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #33
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Agreed (said she, who's only been out twice). I would go as open as you can. In my case with the 15mm, that's f/4, and with the 43mm its f/1.9. I'm planning to do a run with the 15mm again, because of the SR still being on (I had not used the timer) so even though the 15mm shots were "ok" I think they could be better. I'm looking for shorter exposure and possibly even 3200 ISO. I'm doing trial and error. Investigation of costs of astro equipment has revealed I need to make do... so I am making do.
How about ISO10000?

Date Time Original: 2011:06:26 00:41:16
Exposure Time: 48
F Number: 5
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed Ratings: 10000
Metering Mode: Spot
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length: 21
White Balance: Auto white balance
Make: PENTAX
Model: PENTAX K-5
08-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Hi Everyone.
A couple of questions and comments. First of all, great shots. I tried some star shots last night but my results were poor. I was at f8 / 800 iso for 60 to 90 seconds. I have a couple of theories. A, it just wasn't dark enough about an hour after after sunset or there is just to much light pollution. You can't see all that many stars with the naked eye. Also can anyone tell me if you can make the shutter stay open for an hour or two (for star trails) without manually holding the shutter release. I am going the Desert in Namibia this november and would like to to take some night shots.
Thanks.
James
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/17241-mak...your-k10d.html

08-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #35

Unedited Sample - ISO 3200 - 18-135 mm lens at 18mm F/3.5 30 seconds, unguided.

Just an idea what you get before any editing and no stacking. (click for bigger)

08-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Unedited Sample - ISO 3200 - 18-135 mm lens at 18mm F/3.5 30 seconds, unguided.

Just an idea what you get before any editing and no stacking. (click for bigger)
This looks pretty good to me... why stack? I'm quite serious, I actually don't get why stacking is required when I see shots like this (or my own) when I have seen quite a few stacked shots and really... for the time and effort required, I just don't see the benefit in the final result. There's a very definite benefit in using a telescope... but stacking.. not convinced.
08-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
How about ISO10000?

Date Time Original: 2011:06:26 00:41:16
Exposure Time: 48
F Number: 5
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed Ratings: 10000
Metering Mode: Spot
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length: 21
White Balance: Auto white balance
Make: PENTAX
Model: PENTAX K-5
The increase in ISO also increases the background light, so a lot of editing would be needed. I went to 3200 in some of my shots but was happier at 800 and 1600 with the results. Have not yet tried anything more than 3200. (Haven't been out either, the moon is now going to be about for a couple of weeks, I'll wait for the next dark)
08-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #38

This looks pretty good to me... why stack? I'm quite serious, I actually don't get why stacking is required when I see shots like this (or my own) when I have seen quite a few stacked shots and really... for the time and effort required, I just don't see the benefit in the final result. There's a very definite benefit in using a telescope... but stacking.. not convinced.
Stacking can help kill the noise but I am awaiting my Pentax O-GPS1 to see how much better that will be using a lower ISO and longer shutter. I should also have mentioned I shoot with NR off.

The increase in ISO also increases the background light, so a lot of editing would be needed. I went to 3200 in some of my shots but was happier at 800 and 1600 with the results. Have not yet tried anything more than 3200. (Haven't been out either, the moon is now going to be about for a couple of weeks, I'll wait for the next dark)
Quite a bit noisier at 6400.

08-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Col,

What did you capture in the bottom part of the image, M31?
08-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Since the 'film' here is a 'sensor' - the longer its open, and the higher its sensitivty, the more noise it will record. Upping the ISO isn't changing the sensor - what it does is increases the amplification .. So higher ISO will make long exposures even Noisier.... Definitely helpful to stack images versus long expose them...

Take a look at something like http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html . By taking multiple shorter duration images and then stacking them you can get some stunning images at ISO80 equivalent...

Last edited by adr1an; 08-02-2011 at 06:03 PM.
08-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Col,

Looks like it.
08-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Since the 'film' here is a 'sensor' - the longer its open, and the higher its sensitivty, the more noise it will record. Upping the ISO isn't changing the sensor - what it does is increases the amplification .. So higher ISO will make long exposures even Noisier.... Definitely helpful to stack images versus long expose them...

Take a look at something like Startrails application . By taking multiple shorter duration images and then stacking them you can get some stunning images at ISO80 equivalent...
I get the principle, thanks for that explanation.

Looking at the images at that site... I dunno, perhaps my eyes are worse than I thought. I just do not see that those images are better than many others I have seen which are not stacked. *shrug*. Its probably just me. Anyway, I don't have the gear, nor am ever likely to, so I'll just make do
08-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #43
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Col,

Indeed 'tis the Andromeda Galaxy