Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
I really like SR coz I am able to get sharp pictures with 18-55 kit lens, with shutter speeds from 1/30 s to 1/3 s without problems...

But have you tried the same thing with SR off? To me it seems as SR works fairly well down to about 1/20 (roughly). But if you are steady you can do 1/20 without SR as well (at normal to wide focal lengths). Enabling SR will not help you go even longer. (In my experience).

But with a 200mm I can't go down to 1/20 without the help of SR so there it does help.

So it seems to me that it can't really cope with slow "shake". I guess there is a frequency limit somewhere.

07-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
But have you tried the same thing with SR off? To me it seems as SR works fairly well down to about 1/20 (roughly). But if you are steady you can do 1/20 without SR as well (at normal to wide focal lengths). Enabling SR will not help you go even longer. (In my experience).

But with a 200mm I can't go down to 1/20 without the help of SR so there it does help.

So it seems to me that it can't really cope with slow "shake". I guess there is a frequency limit somewhere.
I did not try it with SR off, when in Av I usually have it on all the time
what shutter speed is "slow shake" speed for you?
on K-x, possibly also due to shutter blur, I was experiencing that pictures taken at 1/3 to 1/20 were sharper than at 1/60 sometimes, it was funny (usually at 18 mm)
didn`t have this problem on K5, but I also did not shoot any bigger event with it, I am saving shutter count and using company`s K-x instead
07-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

what shutter speed is "slow shake" speed for you?
I would say around 1/20. If you can take sharp pictures at 1/20 without SR at 50mm (or thereabout (or maybe any length?)), then it seems to me as enabling SR will not do you much good.

But this is something I came up with yesterday while snapping in the dark testing my limits, so nothing really scientific.
07-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I would say around 1/20. If you can take sharp pictures at 1/20 without SR at 50mm (or thereabout (or maybe any length?)), then it seems to me as enabling SR will not do you much good.
will try it on a good oportunity

07-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Do horizontal leveling and SR really work together?

The K5 manual states that you can use horizontal leveling with or without SR. I question whether it can possibly be as effective together, e.g. if the camera is tilted way over to the right, then there is less adjustment available to simultaneously SR, and vice versa.

The first thing i noticed when moving from the K20 to the K5 was the auto leveling. One day, i noticed in pp that my pics were nearly all level. "oh yeah, thats probably horizontal correction"

That manual also states SR doesn't work as well on "very slow" shutter speeds such as panning (?) and night exposures, as well as close focused subjects.

I don't rely on SR too much, and if it was a choice between horizontal leveling and SR, i'd choose the former. Reason: Other than the incomparable Otis, one usually needs faster shutter speeds to get organic life still, and even in landscapes, grasses and trees can move with winds. I even find some smeared clouds due to movement aren't always appealing to me (maybe that just me). Often, one doesn't have time to wait the 2 seconds for SR startup, if you catch it in the middle of a startup, i would think it could blur rather than help. I'm thinking of situations like street shooting or event shooting. Just some random neurotransmitters firing
07-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The K5 manual states that you can use horizontal leveling with or without SR. I question whether it can possibly be as effective together, e.g. if the camera is tilted way over to the right, then there is less adjustment available to simultaneously SR, and vice versa.
I think that you are right about less adjustment available for SR

The first thing i noticed when moving from the K20 to the K5 was the auto leveling. One day, i noticed in pp that my pics were nearly all level. "oh yeah, thats probably horizontal correction"
honestly, I did not even tried it yet

That manual also states SR doesn't work as well on "very slow" shutter speeds such as panning (?) and night exposures, as well as close focused subjects.
the manual says lot of funny things...(do not store the battery fully charged)

one usually needs faster shutter speeds to get organic life still, and even in landscapes, grasses and trees can move with winds. I even find some smeared clouds due to movement aren't always appealing to me (maybe that just me). Often, one doesn't have time to wait the 2 seconds for SR startup, if you catch it in the middle of a startup, i would think it could blur rather than help. I'm thinking of situations like street shooting or event shooting. Just some random neurotransmitters firing
this is why I have auto ISO set to fast
good neurotransmitters firing
07-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Often, one doesn't have time to wait the 2 seconds for SR startup, if you catch it in the middle of a startup, i would think it could blur rather than help. I'm thinking of situations like street shooting or event shooting. Just some random neurotransmitters firing
But to be fair, it's less then 1 second, maybe 0.7sec or so. And I don't think firing before SR is ready will result in anything else then SR will not be used.
07-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #23
Forum Member

the manual says lot of funny things...(do not store the battery fully charged)
Lithium ion batteries that are stored at, or held at, full charge lose roughly 20% of their storage capacity per year and that can't be reversed. For best lifetime you should store your unused batteries at about 40% charge and only charge them fully when you anticipate actually using them.

07-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KyPainter Quote
Lithium ion batteries that are stored at, or held at, full charge lose roughly 20% of their storage capacity per year and that can't be reversed. For best lifetime you should store your unused batteries at about 40% charge and only charge them fully when you anticipate actually using them.
thanks for the info!
imagine this situation - one battery is in the camera and I am taking another one fully charged on a multi-day trek and I change it after, say, 4 days (does this qualify as "storing"?)
is the other battery capacity going to get damaged partially because of this effect?
on the other hand, I read that notebook Lithium batteries have shelf life of 2 years - how bout the camera ones?
thanks again
07-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like SR coz I am able to get sharp pictures with 18-55 kit lens, with shutter speeds from 1/30 s to 1/3 s without problems...but it also depends a lot on technique - breathing, way you hold the camera etc...
of course it is not going to work very well at 300 mm and 1/80 s
After reading this thread a few times I did some SR on/off shooting with my K5...my findings are that it is every bit as good as it was with my K10-20D cameras.

My experience, most all with the Bigma is that it works best at long range and fairly slow speeds....it will capture shots I would have otherwise missed for sure.

Here is a K10D shot I always liked...
1/20 Hand-held SR Bigma @500mm 1/20

[IMG] [/IMG]

If someone is not finding the SR very beneficial try going without it...if there is no difference, then something is wrong. Will it save you every time? Of course not, but most often it will make a huge difference.

Best Regards!
07-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #26
Forum Member

thanks for the info!
imagine this situation - one battery is in the camera and I am taking another one fully charged on a multi-day trek and I change it after, say, 4 days (does this qualify as "storing"?)
is the other battery capacity going to get damaged partially because of this effect?
on the other hand, I read that notebook Lithium batteries have shelf life of 2 years - how bout the camera ones?
thanks again
No, this wouldn't qualify as storing. Storing would be more along the line of you have two or more batteries, one in camera and one or more as backups, and you always keep them all fully charged "just in case," even though you rarely shoot enough to run a battery down. That's especially true if you let the batteries sit for days or weeks without them getting discharged. If you shoot enough to regularly charge and discharge the batteries then it's immaterial.

If you're a hobby shooter wanting to maximize battery lifetime, don't automatically swap out batteries after taking a few photos just to keep both batteries charged. Let the one in camera discharge much of the way before swapping in a fully charged battery. Then, if you don't anticipate shooting enough to need the discharged battery right away, don't put it on the charger until you think you might.

Of course, this is to maximize battery capacity and life, not to maximize productivity or minimize lost opportunities. As much as I hate spending money on batteries, I do exactly what one shouldn't do. Even though I am a hobbyist and sometimes go for weeks without taking a photo, I keep both my batteries fully charged and ready just in case I decide on a spur of the moment outing. Who wants to get in the mood, or get an unexpected opportunity, and have to charge their batteries for hours before they can take advantage of it?
07-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
awesome shot Rupert...

QuoteOriginally posted by KyPainter Quote
Of course, this is to maximize battery capacity and life, not to maximize productivity or minimize lost opportunities. As much as I hate spending money on batteries, I do exactly what one shouldn't do. Even though I am a hobbyist and sometimes go for weeks without taking a photo, I keep both my batteries fully charged and ready just in case I decide on a spur of the moment outing. Who wants to get in the mood, or get an unexpected opportunity, and have to charge their batteries for hours before they can take advantage of it?
thats right
thank you very much for this information
07-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
nah

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
After reading this thread a few times I did some SR on/off shooting with my K5...my findings are that it is every bit as good as it was with my K10-20D cameras.

My experience, most all with the Bigma is that it works best at long range and fairly slow speeds....it will capture shots I would have otherwise missed for sure.

[/url] [/IMG]

If someone is not finding the SR very beneficial try going without it...if there is no difference, then something is wrong. Will it save you every time? Of course not, but most often it will make a huge difference.

Best Regards!
That's a great capture, love the colors.

As for me, I don't find that SR works that great for me.
07-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
That's a great capture, love the colors.

As for me, I don't find that SR works that great for me.
I do hear this from time to time, and am always baffled. I have so many shots that were courtesy of SR. I have one Sigma 17-70 with OS and find it is maybe a shade better than SR, but not enough better to turn off Sr and use OS in the Sigma.

I'm sure there are valid reasons why some do not find SR useful...I just don't know what they are.....there are so many variables in any given shot that it might be hard to determine. I know we do sometimes expect too much from our cameras....and when I miss a shot that is usually the first culprit I look at.

1/60 @ 500mm with a big heavy Bigma......my hands are very steady, but not that steady!
I could post more examples all day long and into the night and still have more similar results to show...

1/90 @420 mm

And too many Squirrels to even count!
1/15 @ 300mm

Best Regards!
08-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #30

I did a quick test with the K5+DA* 300.. With fast shutter speeds it helped with handheld shooting.. with > 1/400 it is able to reduce your own movement.. With slower it will be less effective with telelenses..