Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow - these are horror stories - My K-7 , K-x , K-r (and all other earlier models) never had a single such issue - is this just a co-incidence or is the QC really gone that bad?

07-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Mass hysteria is a scary thing, worse than the underlying events that set it off. Things happen, and they happen more often than not. People are walking around this moment the picture of health.....and will be dead before nightfall.
If your camera works, Pentax, Nikon, Canon,Oly,or whatever...go use it and enjoy. If it breaks get it repaired or get another one. It could be worse....all cameras don't die, just all people.
Today only comes around once.....it will never come again.
I'm going to go shoot something.....on the way to eat some authentic Mexican food at a little place in Ft Worth off the beaten path. If you show up, your meal is on me!

Regards!
07-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
One person believes you can't polish a turd, the other highlights that might be true but you can always roll it in glitter.
Actually, the Mythbusters proved you can.... polish a turd that is...

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-30-2011 at 03:44 PM.
07-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #49
Pentaxian

And, on another note...

Everyone needs to step back from their keyboards and calm down a bit. Remember that this is not the Politics & Religion forum. Also remember to keep things civil and to challenge the other members viewpoint rather than attaching them or insulting them personally.

If this thread continues at the present high boil, you will either find certain members banned from participating in it or it will be closed outright.

Mike
PF Moderation Team

07-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
And, on another note...

Everyone needs to step back from their keyboards and calm down a bit. Remember that this is not the Politics & Religion forum. Also remember to keep things civil and to challenge the other members viewpoint rather than attaching them or insulting them personally.

If this thread continues at the present high boil, you will either find certain members banned from participating in it or it will be closed outright.

Mike
PF Moderation Team
....so maybe you like Chinese better? I can do Chinese, I'm not that particular...even BBQ ribs will work for me if it works for you!

Anyhow, I'm leaving to get something good and will try to cool off while I am gone...it is currently only 99F here, a regular cold front! But I get your message.......I never really liked P&R.......but I love my K5!

Best Regards!
07-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #51

Where's the K-5 in pieces?

I have to admit my morbid curiosity was a bit disappointed after reading the headline about a K-5 falling to pieces only to find an intact K-5 with a few shims sitting next to it.

The OP has every right to be PO'd, I would be too.
But exaggerations like that aren't much better than the fanboyism.
A more accurate description could be " Pieces fall out of K-5"

K-5 problems are more likely to be taken seriously by those that can do something about them if the complaints are more factual.
07-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
All things mechanical and electronic will fail.. usually after considerable use but failures out of the box are not uncommon. My camera did not begin to fail until I had used it extensively for a period of 4 months. Did it anger me, no, but the disappointment was considerable.

What has angered me is the consistent response that the repair centers are giving.. "We've never heard of that." Which simply can not be true. I am going to send my K5 in for repair because I have no other options. It's too late to return it to B&H for a new one. But once I send it in for repair with full documentation... I may even include a link to my own camera failing in a video... I better not read that repair centers are not aware of such a problem.

Let's talk about costs for a moment. I have a friend who has spent close to $30,000 on his Leica gear. The money is really nothing to him.. he's loaded. I have other friends who have saved for the last year just to buy a $1,500 camera. The point is that no matter what the gear costs we, as consumers, have a right to expect a product that works as it was designed to work... and we have every right to demand and expect quality in the products we purchase.
Probably the reason airplanes are inspected at a very regular basis. How much would it cost if each and every single piece that went into a camera was totally non destructed tested individually and then afterwards again tested when assembled? Pentax does not make everything that goes into the camera such as the sensor some of the electronics and I would assume the plastics and metals. Common failures not addressed are unacceptable. One part breaking in all the cameras sold is simply bad luck and I feel for the OP but is a totally different story from lack of quality control. It could be that one piece needed to be xrayed to determine it might fail for example, I am no engineer but I do know that at work we buy lots of expensive equipment and some times they do not work. We once had to send back a $75 000 high speed camera to have a small part replaced.
07-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
So exactly how would they fall Out of the lens, past the sealed mount, end up in the mirror box? AND, the lens remain useable?
Don't know if it actually did or not, but the photo is misleading. If you hold the
lens and crank the zoom, you will find that the center optical part moves, and as you
extend the lens out to 50 mm, the optical portion slides clear out of the barrel and a gap opens which could in theory allow a fairly large piece of something to rattle
out of the inside of the lens.

07-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Don't know if it actually did or not, but the photo is misleading. If you hold the
lens and crank the zoom, you will find that the center optical part moves, and as you
extend the lens out to 50 mm, the optical portion slides clear out of the barrel and a gap opens which could in theory allow a fairly large piece of something to rattle
out of the inside of the lens.
I guess anything is possible but I find it Very difficult to believe that all 4 of those pieces fell out of the lens. Working one minute, not the next. I guess the actual repair statement will tell for sure.

07-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
I have to admit my morbid curiosity was a bit disappointed after reading the headline about a K-5 falling to pieces only to find an intact K-5 with a few shims sitting next to it.

The OP has every right to be PO'd, I would be too.
But exaggerations like that aren't much better than the fanboyism.
A more accurate description could be " Pieces fall out of K-5"

K-5 problems are more likely to be taken seriously by those that can do something about them if the complaints are more factual.
It appears that the K5 had nothing to do with the pieces shown......other than being the recipient of a defective lens mounted on it.
I will not jump the gun and say the OP posted a malicious and meaningfully misleading post....but in fact the post was misleading regardless of his intentions. I see too much activity here where some seem to be salivating for an opportunity to discredit the K5...and a header like this "K5-falls to pieces" fuels this mania.

It seems to me that a sense of fairness should be observed when posting complaints or observations, and intentional or not, this was not fair. Maybe a little more investigation would have been wise....maybe posting photos and asking some questions.....maybe not just assuming the K5 goes along fine and then just "falls apart" would have been a better path to find the problem without inflaming those that are always ready to declare the K5 as junk.

We all know that a positive word travels slow but a negative one spreads like wildfire. Maybe we need to be more careful about what we read and how factual it really is? You won't catch me denying some have had, and do have, real problems with their K5, but this idea that most have problems and it is subject to "falling apart" without notice is not justifiable based on the facts as viewed on this and other Forums...it just isn't, plain and simple.

Best Regards
07-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #56
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

We can be certain, particularly in free fora in the photographic world, that there will be a decent contingent declaring that Pentax gear is junk regardless of its accolades and workmanship.

This thread is so far offering little more than reactive unpleasantries, so let me please suggest again for contributors to bring something worthwhile to the discussion... or hold your peace (not piece ).
07-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #57

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry to incite a riot here. Maybe I grandstanded a little, and of course my posts have had a particular slant. But the reason I was mad was the canned customer service response. Not that I've spilled my milk. I've had Apple send me three iPods when I had an issue with them (including having one stolen by FedEx) but they won me over. I had an issue with a BTO Mac Pro that was delayed months, they gave me $100. Then Canon fixed a P&S screen for me under warranty, even when it had been sat on. I had a problem with a car repair, and the shop fixed it and gave me a loaner car. There is such thing as customer service. When a camera goes to a shop and it is repaired under warranty, the shop should either warranty their repair for a year, or the manufacturer should extend the warranty period past the amount of time the camera was in the shop. Or simply send me three. Don't get me wrong I love my K5 it has taken quite beautiful shots I am still proud of saying I shoot Pentax, but I guess I love my K200D a little more now.
07-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorThum Quote
Sorry to incite a riot here. Maybe I grandstanded a little, and of course my posts have had a particular slant. But the reason I was mad was the canned customer service response. Not that I've spilled my milk. I've had Apple send me three iPods when I had an issue with them (including having one stolen by FedEx) but they won me over. I had an issue with a BTO Mac Pro that was delayed months, they gave me $100. Then Canon fixed a P&S screen for me under warranty, even when it had been sat on. I had a problem with a car repair, and the shop fixed it and gave me a loaner car. There is such thing as customer service. When a camera goes to a shop and it is repaired under warranty, the shop should either warranty their repair for a year, or the manufacturer should extend the warranty period past the amount of time the camera was in the shop. Or simply send me three. Don't get me wrong I love my K5 it has taken quite beautiful shots I am still proud of saying I shoot Pentax, but I guess I love my K200D a little more now.
Well, I can appreciate it that given your bad experiences with so many products that you are feeling a little....or a lot, snake bit. I might even question why it is that a guy has so much bad luck with so many products? Maybe he is not cautious with the care of his purchases, maybe he is unlucky, maybe he is just a whiner......?
But....I don't think that is the case at all. You see, I live in the real world too and could tell you the same kind of stories all night long, and I bet most everyone here could too. The state of QC is not what it used to be anywhere, it is hard to deny....and Customer Service is almost universally pathetic across the board.
So in my opinion , you were snake bit with justification.....I think most of us are...but just used an unfortunate set of words to open your thread that wasn't quite what the words portrayed it to be.

Anyhow, best of luck on a speedy repair and a trouble free future with the K5. I am curious as to how they will react to the K5 being damaged by a Pentax lens....that should be interesting, in particular if the lens is not in warranty? Have you thought about that? The right thing would be to repair them both.......so let us know what the outcome is, you might need some help in getting a fair resolution?
Best Regards!
07-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Even Germany made stuff breaks and then sometimes there service sucks too!
The lock of the sliding side door of my 1 month new VW Transporter/Caravelle blocks all the time. I can't open it right the way, the computer would not commend the door to unlock. On several occasions, me and my children were standing in the pouring showering rain trying to open the damned door!
We'r having a bad summer over here...
The VW dealer is on holiday and closed for 15 days.
07-31-2011, 02:20 AM - 3 Likes   #60
Inactive Account

Here's couple of shots from disasembly of DA 16-45.

First picture shows place there those pieces are placed inside lens, the picture is just back of lens removed. Second picture is with aperture controller removed and screws opened, so if the screws are loose those things come of easy and can damage camera and lens badly.

I think those parts are used to adjust registering distance between lens barrel and sensor, but thats my guess, since i had two different thickness of those pieces inside lens.

Naturally these are from DA 16-45, so i cannot say for 100% certantly it's same with 16-50.

But anyway what i want to say here that most likely the cause of damage was lens, not K-5. And Op really should also send lens for fix. But certainly its best to let local pentax service center tell there those pieces come from
Attached Images

Closed Thread