Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ollibe Quote
Here's couple of shots from disasembly of DA 16-45.
I'm no expert - but a side by side of that last frame of yours and the OP's post would seem to concur with your hypothesis - and the mashed up one is no doubt what got loose in the body and has shorted or otherwise caused damage (judging by how mangled it is). I was always intrigued with where exactly in the body those would have come from - but I only have a K20/K10 to examine..

I think this is important because it does outwardly show that perhaps the issue here is not the K-5, but the Lens.. given how rabid some of the posts about K-5 QC have been. If its as you suggest Ollibe; then indeed the lens will continue to 'function' fine..

If nothing else - it does demonstrate why its important NOT to make assumptions and immediately lash out at favored 'whipping boys' like the K-5 appears to be at the moment. Its all to easy to point blame with emotion as opposed to examining it with clear head and most importantly - empty heart...

Lets see what Pentax Service say - and ensure you get that Lens checked as well. I'm sure everyone following this thread will be very eager to hear the end result - if nothing other than to set the story straight for future readers - so please be sure to update us when you have word!

07-31-2011, 02:44 AM   #62

yea but how can those rings fall in to the camera body is hard to imagine
07-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
yea but how can those rings fall in to the camera body is hard to imagine
I dont own a 16-50, but with all the other zooms I have handy there is more than enough room when the zoom is out at the longest focal lengths for it to provide a gap for them to fall through. Then all it takes is tilting the camera backwards and they would fall into the mirror box... simple physics... Throw in some oscilliations from the mirror operating to help 'jar' the pieces loose... (and it obviously causes vibrations - since why else would Mirror-Lock Up be so important for ultimate sharpness ? )
07-31-2011, 03:17 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Nice shots! Should I be the first to give you the first reward point? Well then...

07-31-2011, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #65
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I dont own a 16-50, but with all the other zooms I have handy there is more than enough room when the zoom is out at the longest focal lengths for it to provide a gap for them to fall through. Then all it takes is tilting the camera backwards and they would fall into the mirror box... simple physics... Throw in some oscilliations from the mirror operating to help 'jar' the pieces loose... (and it obviously causes vibrations - since why else would Mirror-Lock Up be so important for ultimate sharpness ? )
I'm agree with adr1an completely. Unfortunately i don't own any weather sealed lenses, but at least from DA 16-45 those pieces can easily fall inside body. Picture below is from fully functional Da 16-45 taken from back of lens, so there is plenty of room for pieces come off and slide into body when zoomed out and probably same with other zooms as well. Hope someone with 16-50 could confirm this.

EDIT:
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Nice shots! Should I be the first to give you the first reward point? Well then...
Thanks a lot!
Attached Images

Last edited by ollibe; 07-31-2011 at 03:39 AM.
07-31-2011, 04:40 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow that would be a shame to get your body destroyed by the cams in your lens.

You can see them at Leitax as wel where you can rebuild a Leitz to K-mount.
http://www.leitax.com/conversion/leica/elmarit-35-3-cams/IMGP1164b.jpg

If that is the case then there is no warrenty I guess, unless the lens is still under warrenty.
07-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Wow that would be a shame to get your body destroyed by the cams in your lens.

You can see them at Leitax as wel where you can rebuild a Leitz to K-mount.
http://www.leitax.com/conversion/leica/elmarit-35-3-cams/IMGP1164b.jpg

If that is the case then there is no warrenty I guess, unless the lens is still under warrenty.
If that is the case, it is going to suck big time for the OP ......a new Pentax K5 destroyed by an older Pentax lens. Which brings on more questions. Is the OP the original owner of the lens? If so, and assuming he never tampered with the lens (and why would he?) then it would make me think Pentax should repair or replace the body.....seems only right to me. Otherwise, we all might have to start thinking Pentax lenses might not be the best choice for our cameras?
I already made that decision after a failed DA*50-135, and now its replacement is failing too. Other than the Ltds, I look at Sigma and Tamron first......the warranties are better and the build quality is too, at least in the ones I have purchased. Used to be you heard a lot of "if you get a good copy" in regards to Sigma and Tamron.......now that applies more to Pentax lenses than the others.
Hopefully Ricoh will give us a needed change in QC and we can again trust in Pentax lenses. Hoya never had any real interest in cameras or lenses...just the "bottom line".

Good luck to the OP, and I hope he will follow up on this here. The outcome should be interesting, and hopefully fair.
Regards!
07-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #68
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
All of my lenses are Tammy, or Sigma, I do have a lens baby, But there are no moving parts for that lens to come apart.

07-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well all lenses do have parts that are hold together with some screws, so they all can come loose and fall apart. Stating that Tamron or Sigma's won't do that is just lack off knowledge.

I was still wondering if it is from the lens or from the camera. When I look at the mount of the camera there are some similar cam's attached, but it are only 3 and the OP has 4 of them wich would suggest to me that it is coming from the lens.
07-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Well all lenses do have parts that are hold together with some screws, so they all can come loose and fall apart. Stating that Tamron or Sigma's won't do that is just lack off knowledge.

I was still wondering if it is from the lens or from the camera. When I look at the mount of the camera there are some similar cam's attached, but it are only 3 and the OP has 4 of them wich would suggest to me that it is coming from the lens.
Ron, I didn't mean to imply that Sigma or Tamron were defect free or not subject to failure, but my observation has been that in the past few years their QC has vastly improved, as well as their lens selections, while Pentax has declined in both areas. Maybe this is just based more on complaints posted than in fact...but it is a fact my 50-135's are defective.Still love the IQ of the 50-135,it is superb, but I now have a MF lens and that is not what I bought. Meanwhile, for example, I have an older Tammy 18-250 about three years old with zero problems and two years warranty left on it. Makes you think twice when you put out all that cash for a new lens.....

Lenses should be the fuel that feeds the operation of a camera company, I would think, so I am hoping for better results from Ricoh. If room for improvement is a positive thing, Ricoh has struck a Goldmine with their purchase of Pentax!

Best Regards!
07-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #71
Inactive Account

First picture shows place there those pieces are placed inside lens, the picture is just back of lens removed. Second picture is with aperture controller removed and screws opened, so if the screws are loose those things come of easy and can damage camera and lens badly.

I think those parts are used to adjust registering distance between lens barrel and sensor, but thats my guess, since i had two different thickness of those pieces inside lens.

Naturally these are from DA 16-45, so i cannot say for 100% certantly it's same with 16-50.

But anyway what i want to say here that most likely the cause of damage was lens, not K-5. And Op really should also send lens for fix. But certainly its best to let local pentax service center tell there those pieces come from
I'll give that they do look quite a bit alike, or at least 2 of them do (from the original photo). On the 16-50 there is Maybe 1/4 inch of space (~8mm) between the rear element and the guard on the mount at the most. when the lens is at 50mm (without sticking a scale in there and measuring it). The other 2 parts do not look like that from the picture shown (but I can't really tell for sure). I could see One piece of something coming loose and through package movement, making its way out of the rear of the lens, but 4? All at Once? I'm still not really buying it, I think the odds would be phenomenal but again, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen.

07-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

Jeff, what are the odds of seeing a Squirrel belly crawl like a snake? Never seen it before, but I did yesterday and even got a few shots of it!
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Doing push ups is routine here, but belly crawling is a new one!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Mostly I find that if you can imagine it...it can happen? After a tornado in '89 I found a large Oak leaf embedded over an inch deep in a tree trunk..... not even the least bit damaged, just went in like a razor blade.

Best Regards!
07-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #73
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
ell all lenses do have parts that are hold together with some screws, so they all can come loose and fall apart. Stating that Tamron or Sigma's won't do that is just lack off knowledge.
Ron- I know the potential with any lens falling apart. I am agreeing about the part of service. and warranty. I have a dealer in Austin, that I trust with the lenses. They have always addressed any questions or concerned, and even let me try a lens for a few hours before I decided to buy it. They do not sell Pentax but carry Sigma and Tamron for Pentax. The lens baby has 0 moving parts. Just lens inserts. Being manual focus, so it just plain simple. I was just stating I own one. There are some screws in there, but no cams, nothing in there that could fall apart. Unlike any other regular auto focusing lens. Not a lack of knowledge, just a lack of words. My bad

Rupert.....Are going at this again? Shot with the TAMRON 70-200

Last edited by ggeorge11; 07-31-2011 at 09:46 AM.
07-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #74
Inactive Account

Well, Rupert, I never said it Couldn't happen but I'm still questioning it.

As for seeing a squirrel crawl like a snake to scratch his belly (The Hound does it once in awhile), I guess my odds are about the same as seeing one hang upside down to avoid a larger squirrel...

(sorry, not taken with a K5 but with a K7)..

07-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
Rupert.....Are going at this again? Shot with the TAMRON 70-200
Squirrel Fever is a serious brain disorder, and while I hope you guys don't catch it,Otis hopes you do. It can cost a fortune to treat, Squirrel feed is not inexpensive, and it causes people to look at you funny too.
I did seek treatment, and for a while was doing pretty good at shooting lovely young models, but relapsed and now am back to Squirrels in a more serious manner than ever. It is a sad story.....a guy with a perfect K5, lots of great lenses, beautiful young models calling for a modeling shoot, and here I am out shooting Handsome Squirrels......You can pray for me.I won't mind.

Best Regards!

Shot these with the Tammy 18-250 at a sharp angle through a double glass picture window.....considering this, they weren't half bad. I am finding the Tammy 18-250 works nicely on the K5 and is such a handy range for everyday walkabout shooting.
It will shoot other things too......but it seems to prefer Squirrels.......
[IMG] [/IMG]
Closed Thread