Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 - falls to pieces

Sorry guys, Pentax's QC issues are back on the table. Now this one I haven't even heard of before. I bought a K5 four and a half months ago, and have been really enjoying it. The sensor, the low noise, the fast frame rate, the quiet shutter, everything. Then suddenly two weeks ago on a vacation through Glacier national park--wah wah. The camera failed to turn on. I removed the battery and put another one in, removed the memory card, then removed the lens and to my dismay four quarter moon metal peices fell out of the camera. DOA.

I am furious. I still had a week's vacation left and without my new camera. I emailed Pentax and sent them the picture above and got a canned response, of course. I just sent it off to CRIS, and called them. Thier estimate is a month. So I have no camera, and for a month while they have it the warranty is expiring. They will not warranty thier work past the original warranty period either. I feel like I've been screwed. On the flip side I had my four year old K200D as a back-up camera, was able to continue taking photos for the rest of the trip. That K200D is built like a tank, I never had any problems with it- a true QC dream. I have no idea how a camera that cost three times the K200D can just fall to pieces in a blink of an eye. I've had cheap Chinese clockwork last longer than that K5. Makes me sick.

07-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup... that's a new one. After sending mine off for the stains back in February, I bought one of these..

Pentax Two-Year Extended Warranty for the K5 and KR 80227 B&H

How many shots had you taken with the camera and do you know what the pieces are?

07-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

All it takes is one defected part to wreck any piece of equipment. Hope you get your camera back soon.
07-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you have any luck determining if those parts came from the body or the lens. If from body, then it would be really serious.
Just wondering.

07-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
The shutter count from the last photo I took was 2744. I was using my DA* 16-50 2.8 at the time. Basically I went to take that lens off and put it on my K200D when I saw the pieces inside the camera, one of them between the shutter mirror and the sensor. I had to shake it upside down for all the loose pieces to come out. I put the lens on my back up camera immediately after inspecting it and it worked flawlessly, so they weren't from the lens. I still cannot determine what the pieces were and where they used to go. The camera had never been dropped, and I was actually shooting from the car at the time it died. The last photo from my dead K5 ... rest in pieces........
07-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Not good news for any camera user......sorry to hear of your problem and hope it is resolved quickly. As for what it is or what it means, there is no way to know why this happened, but it does not appear to be common by any means.
Not making excuses, the K5 has had its problems, but I read other Forums of other brands.....I hear horror stories in all of them. Seems the technology has run far ahead of the QC in many places. The rush to market and the drive for profits has not helped the consumer, in particular in a down global market where most corporations are living on the edge.

Best Regards & Best wishes for a quick return.
07-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I had to go back and dig a little bit but this is the link where I posted the discussion I had with Pentax about the extended warranties.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/131627-k-5-k-r-pentax-...ml#post1400521

07-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
nah

Then there was the issue with someone's lens release button falling off. It's such a weird occurrence that these parts would fall off...

I checked mine and I don't know how a button like that could just fall off.
07-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorThum Quote
...That K200D is built like a tank, I never had any problems with it- a true QC dream...
Affirmative on the K200d!

But on the other hand, sorry about the bits and pieces falling out of your K-5, I can only imagine how upsetting that must be.

I'd love to see the day when Pentax the company acknowledges that there are some real issues with the camera and accepts responsibility for them, and also when those proponents of this QC-plagued camera to stop using sorry excuses like "other manufacturers have issues also" line.

Last edited by EsBee; 07-29-2011 at 07:52 PM.
07-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It was good that you had your k200 with you. I don't have enough money to upgrade from my k100/k200, but if I did, all the qc issues would make me hesitate to buy a camera that costs as much as the k5.

Paul
07-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I hope that the QC improves with Ricoh in control. Probably won't see any improvements until the next model...
07-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It was good that you had your k200 with you. I don't have enough money to upgrade from my k100/k200, but if I did, all the qc issues would make me hesitate to buy a camera that costs as much as the k5.
Paul
Likewise for me too. I'm waiting until these sort of issues (hopefully?) are sorted out and price comes down more (and I realise it probably won't move that much until just before a release of a new model).
These sort of issues are a bigger concern to me because Im in NZ meaning:
1. International purchase of cameras from B&H, are not eligible for extended warranty (only 12 month international warranty available). Otherwise B&H offering and service is great for us.
2. Buying one through local distribution channels is just way way way too expensive! Not an option for me unfortunately.
07-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Affirmative on the K200d!

But on the other hand, sorry about the bits and pieces falling out of your K-5, I can only imagine how upsetting that must be.

I'd love to see the day when Pentax the company acknowledges that there are some real issues with the camera and accepts responsibility for them, and also when those proponents of this QC-plagued camera to stop using sorry excuses like "other manufacturers have issues also" line.
When other Mfg's stop having problems I will be the first to let you know. You won't hold your breath for us until then...will you?
Regards!
07-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wait, am I reading this correctly: You're concerned about your warranty expiring? You should have nigh on a half year left! Although, I can certainly understand being annoyed about not having a camera for a month.

I can tell you, though, that CRIS did some work for me twice a while back and although they stated a month turn-around time it was more like two weeks. This was for a DA* lens, not a camera body, but one can always hope they're erring on the conservative side.

You have my sympathy. I'm missing my K-5 right now because Sigma is calibrating a 17-50mm lens to it. I first sent them the lens saying it was back focusing. They call me telling me it's front focusing, instead, and asked that I send in the body so they can calibrate the lens to the body. So first, I get a lens that doesn't perform (and it's my second copy, to boot), then I'm missing it a week before they can diagnose the problem. Then I'm out my camera another week (so far) and there's no indication yet when I'll get everything back.

I suppose one can only look forward to getting back equipment that will work up to expectations and far better than before.
07-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
When other Mfg's stop having problems I will be the first to let you know. You won't hold your breath for us until then...will you?
Regards!
Wrong! I don't care for excuses or rodents.

And don't wast your time running anything by me because I'd be too busy laughing my ass off to pay attention

I can only imagine how this kind of justifying would go in other aspects of life:

"Officer, I saw someone else ran the Red light too..."

"Boss, I wasn't the first one to fall asleep on the job..."

"What lady, you say the pipe I fixed in your home broke again? Too bad, happens other places too so suck it up.... "

Closed Thread