Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Even broken in pieces it's still a fine looking camera...

07-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Wrong! I don't care for excuses or rodents.

And don't wast your time running anything by me because I'd be too busy laughing my ass off to pay attention

I can only imagine how this kind of justifying would go in other aspects of life:

"Officer, I saw someone else ran the Red light too..."

"Boss, I wasn't the first one to fall asleep on the job..."

"What lady, you say the pipe I fixed in your home broke again? Too bad, happens other places too so suck it up.... "

I can imagine your pain in life too....your glass is always half empty even if it is overflowing the rim.....you are always holding the short end of the stick, and no matter how good you are or think you are, you are the last one picked to play ball.
Must be a tough life....I wouldn't know, my K5 is near perfect and so are the vast majority of K5s. But....I would bet I could give you my perfectly operating K5 and within an hour you would certify it as pure junk.....you see, I know you, and I am not the only one that does.
You need to find your perfect camera , the Forum where it is represented and come back and give us the link. And no....we won't hold our breath either.
Regards!
07-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

this is the great thing about opinions isn't it

One person believes you can't polish a turd, the other highlights that might be true but you can always roll it in glitter.
Either way - lets stop trying to pick this one up from the clean end ....

ThorThum: Don't mistake a one-off as a clear "QC" problem... Stuff does break - no matter how much you pay for it. Flaming Lamborghinis (literally) anyone ? Its unfortunate - but if this is the only issue and it gets repaired, then its no different to when the handle snapped off my new dishwasher - Annoying and a pain in the ass - but by no means indicative of "another QC Fault"... Heres hoping that it gets turned around in 3 weeks instead of the 4, and that you quickly get back to loving your K-5...

Last edited by adr1an; 07-29-2011 at 10:14 PM.
07-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorThum Quote

I am furious. I still had a week's vacation left and without my new camera. I emailed Pentax and sent them the picture above and got a canned response, of course. I just sent it off to CRIS, and called them. Thier estimate is a month. So I have no camera, and for a month while they have it the warranty is expiring. They will not warranty thier work past the original warranty period either. I feel like I've been screwed. On the flip side I had my four year old K200D as a back-up camera, was able to continue taking photos for the rest of the trip. That K200D is built like a tank, I never had any problems with it- a true QC dream. I have no idea how a camera that cost three times the K200D can just fall to pieces in a blink of an eye. I've had cheap Chinese clockwork last longer than that K5. Makes me sick.
That's a bummer. What would they do in a month? First of all, you should ask Pentax to completely replace your camera. If things 'fell' out of my new camera, I wouldn't want the company to glue them back. And in any case, for the terrible inconvenience that it caused you, it is the least that Pentax can do.

It is egregious how companies can get away with this. Imagine, if the payment that you made to buy this camera - after 2 months the payment was taken back from Pentax. And when Pentax contacted you, you just said - well - give me a month - I will pay you back.

07-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
.....you see, I know you....Regards!
WHOA!!!!

A plumber, photographer, rodent-whisperer, philosopher and now a clairvoyant!

I bet you are modest too!
07-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
That's a bummer. What would they do in a month? First of all, you should ask Pentax to completely replace your camera. If things 'fell' out of my new camera, I wouldn't want the company to glue them back. And in any case, for the terrible inconvenience that it caused you, it is the least that Pentax can do.
The fact of warranties - it is fix or replace at the manufacturer's discretion, there is no specified turn around time, and you don't get compensated for inconvenience. And you normally pay the shipping. It's just the way the system is set up.
07-29-2011, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
WHOA!!!!

A plumber, photographer, rodent-whisperer, philosopher and now a clairvoyant!

I bet you are modest too!
No more so than Otis.....

Best Regards!

07-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #23

ThorThum.... Sorry for your problem and you have every right to be furious. So glad to hear you had a backup camera since you were on vacation in such a beautiful place.

Your picture shows such severe damage there has to be colateral damage also. If Pentax service is capable of making a good business decision they will send you a replacement camera. The cost of a good reliable repair for your specific problem is far more expensive then their "manufactured unit cost" for a K5. They may just do that.

Rupert- Your continued attempts to flatten out Pentax quality/reliability problems is disrespectful on any user form . This is a user form not the Pentax corporate form. Please take your Pentax excuses somewhere else. It is obvious to me based on your posts you have no experience in the manufacturing world. I do and I know that QC and Service people are capable of making good customer/business decisions if they have the right management that makes customer satisfaction a priority understanding that it is their path to success. It is not a new concept and no amount of excuses will change that. Pentax K5 is a beautiful capable camera, to bad for us Pentax squandered their chance to really move their company forward and show the camera world that they are different from the pack and have not only a great camera system but a reliable one. I would be interested in anyone who makes grand statements like "the vast majority of K5 users have good cameras" backing that up with the Pentax service metrics for the K5. I do not know what that will show but I do like seeing the facts versus peoples feelings.
07-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

When Hoya made the decision to move manufacturing overseas it certainly wasn't done to improve quality control.

IMO Pentax is the VW of camera gear. Just like VW, their stuff often has engineering flaws and quality control niggles. Also, just like VW, there is something extremely desirable about their products.

The unfortunate reality is, if you're a Pentax shooter, quality/engineering quirks is a fact of life. It's not ideal, but there are other options to choose from if near-perfection is that important. Made in Japan Canon and L glass comes to mind.
07-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #25
Inactive Account

this is parts from lens.... either must have drop or hitting something with lens mounted.... or maybe simply chew his lens for lunch.... =p
07-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jesster Quote
this is parts from lens.... either must have drop or hitting something with lens mounted.... or maybe simply chew his lens for lunch.... =p
Somehow I doubt that since he put the lens on another camera and continued using it while the K5 was dead. Or did I read the thread incorrectly?

Edit: Just checked. Nope. Read it right, The DA*16-50 went on to his K200d and worked flawlessly (as he puts it).

07-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
When Hoya made the decision to move manufacturing overseas it certainly wasn't done to improve quality control.

IMO Pentax is the VW of camera gear. Just like VW, their stuff often has engineering flaws and quality control niggles. Also, just like VW, there is something extremely desirable about their products.

The unfortunate reality is, if you're a Pentax shooter, quality/engineering quirks is a fact of life. It's not ideal, but there are other options to choose from if near-perfection is that important. Made in Japan Canon and L glass comes to mind.
Only K5 has so many flaws and QC niggles.. other previous models survive with minor injuries as Pentax is well known for it's robust design and durability. Let's face the fact that Pentax with K5 is facing a serious QC problem with so many issues like never before. Maybe that's one main reason Hoya sells Pentax to Ricoh . I always love Pentax, and if it's the VW, it's the VW Phaeton, just hope Hoya doesn't turn it into a broken VW Kombi.
07-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
ThorThum.... Sorry for your problem and you have every right to be furious. So glad to hear you had a backup camera since you were on vacation in such a beautiful place.

Your picture shows such severe damage there has to be colateral damage also. If Pentax service is capable of making a good business decision they will send you a replacement camera. The cost of a good reliable repair for your specific problem is far more expensive then their "manufactured unit cost" for a K5. They may just do that.

Rupert- Your continued attempts to flatten out Pentax quality/reliability problems is disrespectful on any user form . This is a user form not the Pentax corporate form. Please take your Pentax excuses somewhere else. It is obvious to me based on your posts you have no experience in the manufacturing world. I do and I know that QC and Service people are capable of making good customer/business decisions if they have the right management that makes customer satisfaction a priority understanding that it is their path to success. It is not a new concept and no amount of excuses will change that. Pentax K5 is a beautiful capable camera, to bad for us Pentax squandered their chance to really move their company forward and show the camera world that they are different from the pack and have not only a great camera system but a reliable one. I would be interested in anyone who makes grand statements like "the vast majority of K5 users have good cameras" backing that up with the Pentax service metrics for the K5. I do not know what that will show but I do like seeing the facts versus peoples feelings.
The vast majority here have no problems with their K5....if you can count....start counting. How is it that on the one hand you are so sure that the K5 is riddled with problems.....and on the other you admit you "do not know"?

This is not the only Pentax Forum on the internet (it is the best) and if you shop around on them all, my statement of the vast majority having no problems holds true, while yours just doesn't.

I owe Pentax not a damn thing, when the sensor stains showed up, and the focus issues, I beat Pentax half to death....close enough to almost be banned here....and still owe them nothing. What I have written about my K5 on this Forum has been the honest truth, and I have been very excited by this fine camera....and still am...and I am not alone by a long shot. When Pentax took care of the issues that were fatal, like the sensor stains and focus issues, I bought one, as I had said I would do, and when it was perfect I acknowledged it here loud and clear, apparently to the disgust of some that wanted to bury Pentax and continue to kick dirt on their grave. When a camera maker...or anyone else admits their problem, repairs it, stands behind their warranty and produces a great camera, I am willing to acknowledge that and move on, just enjoying the product I have. Some are not so forgiving, and will most likely still be bashing the K5 and Pentax years from now. Maybe it is like some disease......although I am no psychologist, I know what I see.

Now, close you eyes, hold your nose, and take another dose of this medicine called truth. The K5 is a great camera, miles ahead of past Pentax models, capable of delivering what no other Pentax has ever delivered, along with joy and fun in abundance and in a well balanced package that offers as much or more than any of its competitors in its class.
I have a lot of friends here, they are good people, and I damn sure would not push them toward a K5 if I thought for a second that your opinion was right and my facts were wrong.

Like I said, I am no psychologist, and can't diagnose a persons motives, but my motives are based on the K5 in my hands, and believe me, it is terrific beyond all the hype and praise I have given it. The magic can only be felt, not properly described, although I have tried.....everyone knows that.

Does the K5 have problems.....do other brands have problems.......do billion dollar technical devices have problems....yes they do. My K5 is subject to problems like anyone elses and like those here that have felt that magic, if it breaks I will get another one or have it repaired. When you see those that are on their 3rd or 4th K5, which is truly a QC issue that should never be....I do agree.....then you know just how wonderful the K5 must be to keep coming back for more.....and there is a simple reason for that........it is wonderful! But...to assume that the majority have had those kinds of problems is just not factual or within a reasonable and fair assessment of what we see here or on other sites.

You can continue to dig that K5 grave...it is your right...and I will keep filling up the hole and putting the K5 up on a pedestal.....where it belongs.

Best Regards
Rupert
07-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You can continue to dig that K5 grave...it is your right...and I will keep filling up the hole and putting the K5 up on a pedestal.....where it belongs.
I have no idea how I can do better than that Rupert , Other than my K5 has been perfect... SO FAR. I am a pragmatic kind of guy. It is what it is so that being said, I love my K5 and my Kx, The K5 has 8k shutter slaps, and the Kx has 13k. neither have had the issues that others have, So I will count my blessings.
07-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
I have no idea how I can do better than that Rupert , Other than my K5 has been perfect... SO FAR. I am a pragmatic kind of guy. It is what it is so that being said, I love my K5 and my Kx, The K5 has 8k shutter slaps, and the Kx has 13k. neither have had the issues that others have, So I will count my blessings.

George, that is bad news...or great news....depending on how you see it. I don't think you need to guess how I see it.
The real shame is that I am in here digging out dirt and reinforcing that K5 pedestal, when I am looking out my office window and see Handsome Squirrels waiting to pose for the K5/Bigma. I should feel ashamed....and do. Let's get out there today and shoot something then post it in that fine thread here for K5 photos!

Thanks for your comment.....you are not alone, not even close!
Best Regards!
Closed Thread