Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I tend to expose to the left (EV comp -1) almost exclusively these days. There is a LOT of detail in those shadows that can nicely be brought out with some processing, fill light, etc.

Ditto. Almost all lenses and situations are left at -1EV. Rarely do I feel the need to go back to 0EV.

08-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A constant setting of -1 exposure comp seems quite extreme

I could never get away with that with my shots with -03 being the most I ever need only on the odd occasion regardless of the situation.

When tests were run on the D7000 its slight over exposure and having to dial in a slight negative exposure comp, was seen as a negative

So basically you are saying the the K5 overexposes by one stop on average??
08-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Dylan. I'm not saying it over-exposes by one stop on average. I'm saying that it over-exposes slightly on most of my lenses in most conditions, but that anyway I prefer my shots to be under-exposed and then bring them back in PP to prevent any hint of highlights blowing out. I shoot mainly in Jpg and switch to RAW for high DR scenes.
08-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As I shot with the K5 over the weekend there are a few things I have noted as particulary nice with the K5 over the Nikon D3x: Quietness, the K5 is about 1/4 the noise level to my ears as the Nikon is. I had used a noise deadening cover on the Nikon for quiet Churches and some wedding services...you don't need that with the K5. The sensor cleaning ability of the K5 is very nice, as anyone who had tried to clean the Nikon's sensor can tell you. And I really like the hyper program of the K5, it's very fast to work with. I can live with the lower MP count, esp. with the higher dynamic range. The low noise ability of the Pentax is just stunning, I tried 12,800 iso and used DXO labs software and I am just floored. Now to sell the Nikon system, and pick up a few more Pentax primes.

David

08-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As an aside, I forgot to mention two things: 1. I purchased the Pentax extended warranty for 19.95$ that extends the period from 1 year to 3 years on the K5. Worth every penny. 2. If I get the Pentax 16-50mm F2.8 DA* lens, Mack has a 7 year warranty that will cover SDM failure. It's nothing fancy but the price is right.

David
08-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
2. If I get the Pentax 16-50mm F2.8 DA* lens, Mack has a 7 year warranty that will cover SDM failure. It's nothing fancy but the price is right.
To be honest I'm not a big fan for this lens, even with that warrenty. From 16-20mm there is some awfull distortion and CA are in some condition horrible.
08-02-2011, 02:43 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have heard that also. DXO can clear most of both issues, at some expense of fov and sharpness. It is a hard choice, as I really want weather sealing, otherwise I would probably get the sigma 17-50 OS. The Mack warranty for the Pentax 16-50 is under 35$, I forgot to say that.

David
08-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 16-50 isn't all doom and gloom. I actually consider it the best zoom I have shot with in its range:

08-03-2011, 04:04 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
A constant setting of -1 exposure comp seems quite extreme

I could never get away with that with my shots with -03 being the most I ever need only on the odd occasion regardless of the situation.

When tests were run on the D7000 its slight over exposure and having to dial in a slight negative exposure comp, was seen as a negative

So basically you are saying the the K5 overexposes by one stop on average??
It doesn't over expose that much. However, there is so much leeway when it comes to bringing photos up in post that you can expose for highlights much more easily. I personally shoot with EV comp set to 0, unless I run into a really high dynamic range scene when I will add enough negative comp to get a decent exposure on my highlights.
08-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
To be honest I'm not a big fan for this lens, even with that warrenty. From 16-20mm there is some awfull distortion and CA are in some condition horrible.
Me neither, zooms in general are not my cup of tea. I find this zoom lens to be poor in the borders, it's like only the middle 'square' of image field is good, not much poorer than the competition as I heard. That's why I hardly use this lens but, instead, shoot whit the primes all the way, these seem to be Pentax's strongest points!
BTW, I think that the K5's high IQ is more demanding for lenses...