Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #31

here is another example, as the k-5 can accept underexposures ( at 100iso) you just have to expose the sky and clouds correctly, forget about the real scene ( here a castle) and hope there is not too much stops beetween sky and scene.
then in LR use fill light, iso, brightness , black level to setup a correct image (you can make it from nice to HDR )

Please no artistic consideration about this pics, it's only to show how dark the raw footage can look like and what you can finally get
( the first is the raw directly convrted to jpeg in LR, the second is corrected ( and yes i've also removed the birds=black dots in the raw).
And it's not symmetrical:means you can't overexpose sky and get it back in PP.

08-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Actually, Greg, I prefer the original over the pp'ed one due to the total lack of contrast in the massaged one. Somewhere in between would be perfect.

Jack
I have to agree with that....the postprocessed image looks unnatural - but it works great as an example
08-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

08-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #34
Inactive Account

The only downfall to boosting shadows with the K5, is that if there is any PF on the boundary of the light and dark areas, it will a bit hard to handle

08-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I was going to say, I thought that you most effectively could use masks. I guess the GND tool is new to lightroom 3?
Unless my memory is deceiving me, I believe it's been a feature since Lightroom 2. In any case, I used both GND and the adjustment brush in this photo.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Actually, Greg, I prefer the original over the pp'ed one due to the total lack of contrast in the massaged one.
That's at least partially a function of the monitor. The image was processed on an older macbook, which has a dark contrasty monitor, leading to images that look a bit washed out on the newer, much brighter monitors commonly used nowadays.
08-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So do you guys calibrate your screens for printing? Multiple profiles for different paper types?
08-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking for myself only, I get prints done professionally. I live in NYC and there are a multitude of professional grade photo print shops that do a better job than I could for a lot less money than it would cost me to get a good large format printer and all the other calibration hw/sw. I actually have a hard enough time just processing my shots! My monitor is calibrated tho.

NaCl(the less time I spend in front of my rig, the more time I have to shoot)H2O

08-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So do you guys calibrate your screens for printing? Multiple profiles for different paper types?
Hi
Yes indeed. I print fine art giclée on a fully calibrated system and I create profiles for every type of paper I use or my clients want me to use. But not only that I also profile inks so they reproduce predictably with different papers and ambient light.

Greetings
08-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #39

i don't see the link with the thread subject but...

I just have a small canon selphy 10x15 (cm) for family purpose.
As I' work for cinema post production, I have access to a range of color probes so my screens are calibrated.
Last time I also tried to create a profile for my printer, believe it or not, the result was closer to my screen ...without the profile so I gave up.
For profesionnal stuff i would consider selecting a pro lab, and have them print a set of charts , then measure it to create a profile, and finally us the profile for soft proofing.
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been getting my prints from adorama (I live in nyc as well...) and I've been really pleased with the prints. But, my screens aren't calibrated and I guess that would be a reasonable thing to do to have a better idea of what I'm going to get when I order the prints. Are there any recommendations for a good calibration software?
08-08-2011, 04:31 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been getting my prints from adorama (I live in nyc as well...) and I've been really pleased with the prints. But, my screens aren't calibrated and I guess that would be a reasonable thing to do to have a better idea of what I'm going to get when I order the prints. Are there any recommendations for a good calibration software?
Hi
I use X-rite color management equipment/software and among their offering the most cost effective tool is the X-Rite ColorMunki Photo Colorimeter/color calibrator. It is highly rated among professionals and does not cost the world. I have used the ColorMunki in the past and have nothing but praise for it. It is easy to use. It calibrates your monitor (if it have a graphics card that can be calibrated) and matches this with your printer to create printer profiles. The results are stunning.

Greetings