Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

The K-5.......the right choice for me!

Hey everyone....first post here, so I thought I'd do it right and start a thread It’s long winded…so I apologize in advance

First of all...I have been lurking for a bit as I've been on the hunt for a new camera. I love the great info on this forum, and it's been quite a help.

So I am looking to replace my P&S Leica D-Lux 4, and have left virtually all my options open. From another P&S....to Micro 4/3s...to DSLRs....I have wiped the slate clean, even the brand.

A few years back, I owned a Nikon D70 and I spent the cash on some killer glass, flash, and tripod for it. Shot some great pics, but eventually stopped carrying it as I hated lugging around all that gear. For whatever reason, I had no direction and felt I had to have EVERYTHING with me.

I moved over to the smaller P&S....Canon, Ricoh, and ending with the Leica. Nothing bad to say about any of them...but nothing exciting either.

What I found though, is that I really enjoy shooting with my Leica due to the great 24mm wide angle. I rarely shot it in any other focal length than near that end of things…certainly never at full zoom. I think I have discovered that I don’t need much reach, and that something with a fixed focal length would be just fine.

Now that I am in the market again, I had narrowed my search to the following: Oly XZ-1, Pana G3, Nikon D5100 or D7000, Fuji X100, and the latest contender to enter my search…the Pentax K-5.

All these choices have their virtues, and certainly will take very nice pictures. BUT….as I began to dive deeper, it became glaringly obvious that the K-5 was going to be the camera for me. Size, build quality, image quality, great lens options for my style, ergonomics….it really has it all.

The Oly is fast and bright, and while not tiny, is the smallest of the bunch. The G3 is a nice jump up, and the micro 4/3s category is quite intriguing. The Nikon 5100 is a much better size, but lacks the stout feel and options of it’s bigger brother the 7000. That choice is probably going to be a bit bulkier than I want to carry. But the lens options for Nikon are virtually limitless…which is hard to pass up. The Fuji is the one I will admit is giving me the most difficulty in passing on. It’s an amazing camera, and I simply love how it looks. BUT, being limited to 35mm only…would be much too limiting for me. I need to be able to go wider.

So I am about to make the purchase of my Pentax K-5 here very soon. I am extremely excited as I feel this camera will be the package to help reignite my passion for photography. The kit lens is a no brainer cost wise, and a great option if the elements go sour. And being able to mate the small body with some great, and VERY small lenses….makes for one very easy to carry DSLR.

So again, thanks to all for the great info this forum has provided me. I will be reporting back just as soon as I can get the cash together and get this baby in my hands.

Cheers,

RIDE

08-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great choice, and welcome to the forums. Are you going to pick up the DA21 or the DA15? Or were you thinking the DA*16-50?
08-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the DA 21mm paired with a K5 would suit your needs perfectly.
08-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Forum Member

good choice

I dont think you can go wrong with the k5. It is still my favorite camera ever, although i have switched over to a nikon d7000 as part of my future gear plans. The k5 beats the d7000 in comfort usability, build quality, noise handling, size, ergonomics, etc.. Pretty much everything but AF and flash capability. Unfortunately those were 2 of the most important areas for me, hence the switch to nikon. Getting used to the d7000 now, but man i miss the k5

08-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!

So I am going to focus my OCD next on lens choices. The Limited series is amazing from what I hear...so I will likely be picking up a couple of them. Still not sure which 2....but the DA15 seems intriguing and like a great focal length for me, but I would not rule out the DA21 just yet.

RIDE
08-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RIDE Quote
Thanks for the welcome!

So I am going to focus my OCD next on lens choices. The Limited series is amazing from what I hear...so I will likely be picking up a couple of them. Still not sure which 2....but the DA15 seems intriguing and like a great focal length for me, but I would not rule out the DA21 just yet.

RIDE
I wouldn't rule out any of them. Just decide what you want to do and pick the lens best suited for it. I was going to suggest the DA12-24 based on what you originally stated but if small primes are your thing, the limiteds are fine choices.

Welcome to the Club!

08-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff!

Yeah...the 12-24 is a fantastic range. I had that lens with my Nikon and loved shooting it. It does cover pretty much everything I need. Perhaps that, and one of the pancakes....would make for a killer setup. I will certainly read up on this lens.

Appreciate all the suggestions!

RIDE

08-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-5 and the 15mm Ltd lens would be your best choice.

On the other hand, maybe you are more of a Q kind-a-guy? Pentax Q Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

But no, don't take the K-5 with 15mm and you can get a 21mm lens later on.
08-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
Not a Q kind of guy at this point Ron. Seems like a fun little camera though. I really think that the size and flexibility of the K-5 will be the ticket for me.

DA15 would be my choice if I were to make it today.....we'll see what my research turns up.

RIDE
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #10

One option you can consider in the bay area is renting a lens. I rented a 40mm limited from borrowlenses.com recently. Had a good experience with them and I think this was a cost effective way of trying out a lens to see if I like the focal length etc. There are no delivery charges if you pick up from their office in San Carlos/Redwood city and they do carry a small selection of pentax mount lenses including the 14mm, DA 21, 12-24, 40 etc.
08-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #11

Original Poster
Great idea eastbay!

RIDE
08-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hello Ride. Welcome to K-5 and Pentax world
Just an idea you might want a cheap but great lens is the DA35mm AL 2.4. It so light it's like your carrying the K-5 body with just batteries but do try it if you drop to a shop.
08-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, this is a Pentax centric website and it's no surprise that we'd tend to support a K5 purchase. So I'll be different. My daughter (Canon 40D user) got tired of lugging that beast around and got interested in a Lumix GF2 this spring. It's a micro 4/3's camera with some amazing lenses for it. The kit is a 14-42 lens (2x crop factor) and we've gotten the 20mm f1.7 lens and there are others in the micro 4/3 mount.

There is all the newer GF3 or GH2 - same mount. These are excellent cameras with excellent optics and...they are small and light. Check them out. As much as I love my Pentax's, I have to say that I've been very impressed (size-features-and image quality) with these systems.
08-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your K-5 choice

I have a K-5 and a bunch of limiteds and zooms, but I never leave home without the DA15. If you liked 24mm equiv on your Leica you'll love the DA15 on your K-5. I also have the DA21 and the DA12-24, but the 15 gets used far more than the other two combined. Killer sharp, tiny, and fun focal length, what more could you want?

My DA15 pics are in my signature (along with DA21 and DA12-24 ones too).

Here's a size comparision between these three lenses

Last edited by twitch; 08-02-2011 at 03:53 PM.
08-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RIDE Quote
Thanks Jeff!

Yeah...the 12-24 is a fantastic range. I had that lens with my Nikon and loved shooting it. It does cover pretty much everything I need. Perhaps that, and one of the pancakes....would make for a killer setup. I will certainly read up on this lens.

Appreciate all the suggestions!

RIDE
I was also going to suggest the 12-24. It is right up there on the IQ, and goes wider than the 15 and longer than the 21, costs less than both together and weighs about the same as both together. The hood makes it seem larger than it is :-)

The DA40 would reach out a bit, and is the cheapest and smallest of the Limiteds. Then the 70 is a nice portrait length and small. And then....