Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS - USA Availability

Does anyone have any information on when the Pentax O-GPS1 GPS will be available in the US or who might be carrying it? It was supposed to be available in mid July but everyone I can find is out of stock. I ordered one on Amazon and there is still no estimated delivery date.

Maybe you can pop in here with an in stock supplier if you know of one for those of us looking for them.

08-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax USA hasn't even added the GPS framework updates to their site yet I believe. Might be awhile. One of the forum members just got one in the UK.
08-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somebody in the UK is (naturally) selling them on eBay U.S. but you will pay about an extra $100 to get one early here. 5 available currently, with one sold. (No affiliation. Just know how to search). :P
08-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Somebody in the UK is (naturally) selling them on eBay U.S. but you will pay about an extra $100 to get one early here. 5 available currently, with one sold. (No affiliation. Just know how to search). :P
I did see that but I wasn't willing to go that route.

08-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #5

I received my O-GPS1 July 22 from Pentax USA (Golden Colorado). They are sellig them on the web.
08-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jthielen Quote
I received my O-GPS1 July 22 from Pentax USA (Golden Colorado). They are sellig them on the web.
They are out till mid August is my understanding....
08-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
OMW.... Amazon tonight:

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 28 2011

"Pentax 39012 GPS Module for Pentax DSLR Cameras"
Estimated arrival date: August 30 2011 - October 25 2011

08-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is quite a range. Out of curiosity why are you interested in the device? Do you hike and want to go back to precise locations?
08-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Looking at availability in the UK, it does seem it will cost around $100 to be delivered to USA from the dealers have found (albeit within a few days and tracked –though not by itself ).

Mine will be used forhiking/trekking/travel. For years have been using a PDA and bluetoothGPS to record my movements, then on image upload have tried to record the location against the time/track recorded on the PDA. The Pentax GPS unit will clearly make that tedious process redundant.

Submitted a suggestion to Pentax several years ago of adding bluetooth to the camera body to enable images to be tagged with information gathered from a bluetooth GPS(never got any kind of reply). Obviously, have complied with their chosen solution.
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluespearbone Quote
Obviously, have complied with their chosen solution.
Because the device is two-fold - it also does Astro Tracking by feeding the orientation data (using the Gyro/Compass/Accelerometers in the O-GPS1) to the SR mechanism based on Focal Length etc.. to then move the SR to prevent Startrails...

So its a whole heap more than 'just' a GPS.... and needs to be in a known orientated position on the body so it can move the SR assembly - if it was just in your pocket it would have no idea about what angle the camera was relative to the GPS/Gyro/Compass
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
So its a whole heap more than 'just' a GPS....
Agreed
- and already purchased
08-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
That is quite a range. Out of curiosity why are you interested in the device? Do you hike and want to go back to precise locations?
Astrophotography.
08-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine's on its way!!

I had ordered one from Provantage.com in late July. They wanted only $199 for it but it was on back-order just like everyplace else. I just got a notice from them stating:

Hello from PROVANTAGE.COM,

We are sending you this automated email to help you stay informed about an order you placed with us. The following is the current status of the order:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Order #xxxxx was entered on July xx, 2011
Attention: MICHAEL HERDERING

Your order has been placed with one of our suppliers. They will ship it to our Ohio distribution center, where it will immediately be forwarded to you.

Note: Your order has been forwarded to a regional warehouse. We will issue an invoice once we have confirmation.

Item Ordered
---------------
39012 Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Module For Pentax DSLR Cameras [PEN90KU] - (Qty 1)
- 1 item Backordered at regional warehouse
08-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
I had ordered one from Provantage.com in late July. They wanted only $199 for it but it was on back-order just like everyplace else. I just got a notice from them stating:

We are sending you this automated email to help you stay informed about an order you placed with us. The following is the current status of the order:

Your order has been placed with one of our suppliers. They will ship it to our Ohio distribution center, where it will immediately be forwarded to you.

Note: Your order has been forwarded to a regional warehouse. We will issue an invoice once we have confirmation.

Item Ordered
---------------
$199 is a great price! Congrats. I fear the price may go up along with the other accessories. I want one, and need to figure out when to "jump".
08-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Does this really mean it's on the way? To me it reads like a "thanks for your order" kind of email.

$199 is a great price. I'm close to caving in and just paying the early adopters premium as I go travelling next month..... hmmmm ....
QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote

Item Ordered
---------------