Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
when I opened the folder with today's date....it was empty!
From what I understand, this is a card error. The photo files are there, but you need a file recovery program to get them back.

This has happened to me 3 times this summer - twice with two different Sandisk 8GB cards and once with a brand-new Kingsington 4 GB card.

I'm starting to wonder if it's my k20D causing it.

08-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Interesting...card error.....I'll check it out. Sure would be a let down after all the excitement around here this morning. My first thought was would this limit me from becoming a Pro Shooter....but Otis quickly assured me that a blank computer screen was in no way stopping me from reaching my goal, and in fact, if I posted a few blank screen shots, with correct exposure etc, he bet the Forum Members would have more appreciation for my work than ever before.....I'll have to give that a shot...so to speak...

Great to have a close friend like Otis in these trying times, it sure does make me feel better and ease my heartache.

Best Regards! & Thanks !
08-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You're welcome, Rupert.

The software I ended up using is called Card Rescue.

Last edited by scatron; 08-04-2011 at 10:45 AM.
08-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I have filled up my 8 gig sandisk extremes quite a few times on lighting shots and I have always gotten the card full message and you cannot take any more.

Whats a good poison to kill squirrels with? They ate all of my pears on my pear tree....

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I mounted up the Bigma and went out on the deck this morning to shoot some Handsome Squirrels.....took about 6-8 shots, (the best Squirrel shots I have ever taken! ) and viewed each one on the LCD to ensure they were all perfect, which they were.

Imagine my disappointment in finally getting World Class Squirrel shots, only to find that when I opened the folder with today's date....it was empty!

I backtracked and checked the card properties to find it was full. My K5 never told me it was full, and the shots kept appearing on the LCD one after the other.

So finally, do I have myself a K5 defect? I have been just roaring to jump up and down, scream and yell at the "defective" K5 piece of junk I paid too much money for, and join those that live in pain and misery......can I do it now? Should I send it in.....should I go total insane, instead of my normal half-insane and smash it with a 20lb hammer? Should I throw a party and invite all my C&N friends to view my defect? I just don't know what I should do....this is my first defect, and I am so excited!

Or.....maybe it is the card? Please , no "User Error".......you all know I am a certified expert at this photography thingy......

Any ideas? It is an 8G PNY card, if that matters?

Just sick at heart....or thrilled beyond words....
Rupert
Best Regards!

08-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
I have filled up my 8 gig sandisk extremes quite a few times on lighting shots and I have always gotten the card full message and you cannot take any more.

Whats a good poison to kill squirrels with? They ate all of my pears on my pear tree....
That is sure enough bad news! Had you been feeding them properly so they wouldn't touch your pear tree? Did you have a signed contract guaranteeing you would feed them every day during the lean winter months......if so, and you can produce the contract, Otis will reimburse you for your loss....otherwise, he sends his sympathy and hopes they don't eat your phone and internet lines. Those are usually left for desert after a meal of fresh pears...so he says.

Although I can't guarantee this, I have found a few dead Squirrels during this dreadful three month long heatwave.....It appears that a few bushels of exotic nuts, along with a dozen or so cases of iced down cold beer will cause Squirrels to just spontaneously explode......could be the heat, or could be that after a dozen beers on top of a belly full of nuts, they just can't contain their excitement and blow like a stick of dynamite? Anyhow, Otis says to give it a try, send your address and he will come check it out to see what happens.

Best Regards!

BTW-This little Girly Squirrel said your pears were delicious!
[IMG] [/IMG]
08-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My reclusive Perry would like to ask your outgoing Otis about his favourite beer. Perry is tiring of Millers Golden Draft, puts him right off his cedar nuts.
08-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My reclusive Perry would like to ask your outgoing Otis about his favourite beer. Perry is tiring of Millers Golden Draft, puts him right off his cedar nuts.
Otis prefers Shiner Bock, but will drink Lone Star in a real pinch. I did once catch him with a bottle of Pearl beer, but he said he was only sniffing the aroma for a good buzz........

Most anything cold on a day like this of 110F will work, but of course, my contract requires that I provide Shiner Bock. I was buying it by the keg, but I had a problem with Squirrels gnawing off the top and swimming in it.......seemed to ruin the flavor.

Best Regards & keep your Squirrels well hydrated in the heat!

08-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #23

Good old Rupert joins the club......imagine just yesterday we were talking about you having a problem free K-5...not for long my friend....another QC issue...way to go......join the chorus...Mine is gone for 42 days....they told me it could take MONTHS...!!!!!! unbelievable.....!!!!
08-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
Good old Rupert joins the club......imagine just yesterday we were talking about you having a problem free K-5...not for long my friend....another QC issue...way to go......join the chorus...Mine is gone for 42 days....they told me it could take MONTHS...!!!!!! unbelievable.....!!!!
Go easy on me...I am still in mourning, and even put on my best black shirt. Of course, I might get a 32G card and never get near the all full point and never realize a problem...or use one of my other cards that seems to work fine.....but none of those will erase the haunting memory of those 4-6 fantastic lost shots of Otis posing totally nude for GQ Magazine.......just irreplaceable. He won't do it again, he only posed today because he was all liquored up from all that cold beer on a very hot day. My one opportunity for fame...and my K5 let me down. It wasn't my fault, but somehow I feel so ashamed and dirty.....do you understand? Does anyone have a sympathetic word for old Rupert?
Regards!
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Recuva is a free program for Windows that can get stuff back off of media that has been deleted, memory cards included - just don't take any pictures until that point.
08-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back to reality....for a minute anyhow.......here is what I just did.

I deleted about a dozen shots from older dated folders on the card. Then I mounted the DA* 50-135 and went outside......to find the 50-135 has finally totally failed at SDM, but that is no shock, I have been expecting it since it has slowed down continually for some time now.

Anyhow, I took a lot of shots and after about a dozen (Raw+) the K5 did give the Full Memory message and I was able to get off two more shots before it stopped me. I have no idea what any of this means, and in my computer the card reads to contain 7.31 GB of information. I reinserted the full card and it shows Full in the K5 so, that is normal operation.
Could it be the K5 is toying with me.....or the card...or both...or could it be that someone here has made a little Rupert and K5 Voodoo Doll and is paying me back for my K5 rants?

Any ideas! I am going to buy a couple of new cards.....maybe Sandisk or Kingston 16GB, I have none of those that size. . My best card seems to be a Sandisk 4 GB........I'm not much up to date on SD cards?

Regards!
Rupert

BTW- Regarding the 50-135...This is my second one to fail, a pitiful design by Pentax and a poor response by Hoya to let this go unresolved. I will most likely just use it as a MF lens, which is about what I did anyhow, the SDM is so slow and unreliable.
Still..... the IQ from this lens is just superb, and the range is excellent. I have used it many times for portrait work where it matches or exceeds my Nokton 58mm 1.4 or my 43 Ltd.
I won't be replacing it, it is just too good a lens to let go...even if it would burn holes in the neighbor woman's big butt for Otis....

DA*50-135
[IMG] [/IMG]
08-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I just bought a few of those Transcend 16GB class10 cards off of Amazon for around $25. They are fast and seem great.

I think they are Otis approved as well.
08-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
You know Rupert, there are those of us who rather enjoy and appreciate your sense of humor!
08-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I just bought a few of those Transcend 16GB class10 cards off of Amazon for around $25. They are fast and seem great.

I think they are Otis approved as well.
I'll check those out, thanks! I will look for the Otis seal of approval, I'm sure you are right.

QuoteOriginally posted by melvis2 Quote
You know Rupert, there are those of us who rather enjoy and appreciate your sense of humor!
Melvis, I just like to have a little fun, life is short and also short on fun. Some take it the wrong way at times, I regret that, but my intentions are good ...most of the time......sort of like Otis...most of the time he means well....I think? A lot of fine people congregate here, not all of them appreciate me or my Squirrels but they are still good people and valuable Members, and I try to remember that too.

Best Regards!
08-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #30

Rupert you have been a victim of Voodo......its only the start Im afraid......!!!!!