Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #1

K-5 + 18-55mm Wr - Autofocus not working?? SOLVED

Hi,
I have received new k5 kit from ebay, but i have a problem about AF.
AF system not working properly weird sounds on camera when half push the trigger? not focusing, i will try with different lens if found nearby, i hope body is ok but lens is bad. I am living Turkey, i cant send it back.

Last edited by hknymz; 08-10-2011 at 11:35 AM.
08-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does being in Turkey have to do with being able to send it back (other than cost)?

1. Make sure the lens is completely mounted.
2. With the lens mounted, Hold down the lens release button and push the shutter release. You should hear the AF motor spin.
3. Make sure the camera is fully engaged in AF-S or AF-C with #4.
4. Check to see if the AF screw drive is protruding from the lens mount (lens off of the camera).
5. If this is a new outfit this shouldn't be needed but make sure the contacts on the lens and camera are clean.
6. With a small screw driver or similar, turn the AF screw on the lens to see if it is binding anywhere.
7. With the lens on or off of the camera (in Manual focus) turn the focus ring of the lens and make sure it isn't binding somewhere.

Good luck with it..

08-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #3

Original Poster

I am so stupid ! Problem solved !
08-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hknymz Quote

Not stupidity -- just lack of experience. I have had people come up to me on the street with their dSLR (usually Canon) not working; and the only problem was that the lens was not mounted firmly. Now you know! And now you can move on to other mistakes. It's called learning. Have fun!

08-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Glad that's all it was. I imagine even if there were something wrong with the camera, getting it fixed in Turkey would be a monumental task.

Welcome to the K5 club!

08-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sold :.(
08-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow,that was fast

08-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Sold :.(
What the H?

Did you Buy it to sell?

08-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
yes
but i will buy again for myself K-5 is very rare in Turkey and hard to find
02-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #10

I'm having a similar problem with my K-R, although the problem doesn't seem to be the mounting. However, I think this might have something to do with it:
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
4. Check to see if the AF screw drive is protruding from the lens mount (lens off of the camera).
Is it supposed to be protruding? Mine is not. If it is supposed to be protruding, is there anything I can do besides send it back?
02-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
Inactive Account

The AF screw should be protruding when AF lever is set to AF-S, AF-C. When set to MF the AF screw obviously retracts into the mount. Check the protrusion by moving AF lever from AF-S to MF mode with lens dismounted.

Also take steps mentioned above in detail by the senior member in case the problem persists.

Hope the problem gets solved.
02-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #12

Oops, I misread that one. I missed "mount" and thought the screw on the lens was supposed to be protruding. The one on the mount does protrude when in autofocus. I have taken the other steps, and it really seems like the autofocus motor is stuck somehow, so I'm just going to contact Pentax and see what they say.