Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 604
K-5 is WIFE APPROVED!!!!

So I've been shooting with my new K-5 for the past few weeks and I was taking some photos yesterday and THE WIFE casually commented: "Gee, you don't seem to fiddlin' with your camera half as much these days..."

Trust me, for her to notice anything about my photography is a big deal. For her to notice what I thought I was experiencing is confirmation for me at least that the K-5 is just much easier to use.

The easiest way to describe it, is it feels like a photographer designed the interface, not World of Warcraft playing, LAN party attending, haven't had a date in... well, ever, kind of computer science major type people.

08-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
Glad you are enjoying the camera to the point where it is obvious The wife sounds like a smart lady.

08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,004
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So I've been shooting with my new K-5 for the past few weeks and I was taking some photos yesterday and THE WIFE casually commented: "Gee, you don't seem to fiddlin' with your camera half as much these days..."

Trust me, for her to notice anything about my photography is a big deal. For her to notice what I thought I was experiencing is confirmation for me at least that the K-5 is just much easier to use.

The easiest way to describe it, is it feels like a photographer designed the interface, not World of Warcraft playing, LAN party attending, haven't had a date in... well, ever, kind of computer science major type people.
Cool! Question - what were you shooting prior to the K-5?
08-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
Tell her that your next Pentax will even be better and with that one lens you don't have.......

08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,757
It is already Squirrel approved...now Wife approved....what are you guys without a K5 waiting for?
Regards!

BTW-Congratulations & enjoy!

Celebrate with a cold beer on Otis...but don't have too many......even those Light Beers are pretty fattening.......just last year this little Girly was a Beauty Queen...before she got hooked on that Light Beer.....

Notice that double chin.....double chin on a Squirrel...that's outrageous!
[IMG] [/IMG]
08-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member
lammie200's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,028
Haha

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The easiest way to describe it, is it feels like a photographer designed the interface, not World of Warcraft playing, LAN party attending, haven't had a date in... well, ever, kind of computer science major type people.
I wish that I could say the same as in having an architect design the CAD software that I am using! Pay upwards of $8k USD for something and you would expect that it should be usable right out of the box. Not.
08-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 604
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Cool! Question - what were you shooting prior to the K-5?
Canon 5DII and 7D, and before that Nikon D700 and D300... The K-5 is better then all of them. Seriously.

The 5DII had the best IQ by a hair, but it also had the worst interface.

The 7D was fast, but the AF was sketchy. Like most Canon's it locked on very fast, but was not very accurate. The interface was better than the 5DII.

The D300 was pretty good. The D700 interface was better then the D300. The K-5 IQ is better then both of those.

The largest fine art prints I make are 16x24.

I guess coming from film Pentax's, the Nikon's and Canon's didn't really do it for me...
08-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The easiest way to describe it, is it feels like a photographer designed the interface, not World of Warcraft playing, LAN party attending, haven't had a date in... well, ever, kind of computer science major type people.
Hey! Not all computer science grads resemble that remark!

...Glad to hear the K-5 is working out well for you.

08-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 971
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I guess coming from film Pentax's, the Nikon's and Canon's didn't really do it for me...
Haha,

I was thinking about switching over to nikon about 8 months ago to the D7000 and even thought about going with canon with the 7d. that is, until i held them both at a store one day. man, do they not feel natural to me. the store i went to didn't have a k5 but they did have a k7 and man, what a difference, it just felt like it was made for my hands. Decided to stick with pentax and finally bought myself a k5 8 months later. zero regrets! that is... until pentax announces its replacement
08-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Canon 5DII and 7D, and before that Nikon D700 and D300... The K-5 is better then all of them. Seriously.

The 5DII had the best IQ by a hair, but it also had the worst interface.

The 7D was fast, but the AF was sketchy. Like most Canon's it locked on very fast, but was not very accurate. The interface was better than the 5DII.

The D300 was pretty good. The D700 interface was better then the D300. The K-5 IQ is better then both of those.

The largest fine art prints I make are 16x24.

I guess coming from film Pentax's, the Nikon's and Canon's didn't really do it for me...
Now *that's* a succinct personal account comparing the different systems' cameras. Well done, good to have you here, and enjoy the forum (and your photography with the K-5).
08-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member
stanic's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 380
you`ve got some mind blowing shots in your pbase albums Edward
glad that you are happy with the K5 given the experiences you have
08-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
you`ve got some mind blowing shots in your pbase albums Edward
glad that you are happy with the K5 given the experiences you have
Ditto, beautiful landscapes in your Greatest Hits. Look forward to see what you do with the K-5.
08-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 604
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Ditto, beautiful landscapes in your Greatest Hits. Look forward to see what you do with the K-5.
Stanic and Crewl1, thanks!

The K-5 really is freeing me up to do what I want to do. It took a while, but we are now at the "sweet spot" in terms of reaping the benefits of smaller bodies and lenses with a crop sensor and yet maintaining the IQ required on that crop sensor.

BUT, the only company to get this right is Pentax. Canon and Nikon are putting FF lenses on their crop cameras and riding the public desire (however unwarranted these days) for full frame.
08-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,279
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I wish that I could say the same as in having an architect design the CAD software that I am using! Pay upwards of $8k USD for something and you would expect that it should be usable right out of the box. Not.
Not to wander too far off the OP, but as a former employee of the ADSK, you should expect the opposite. Conventional wisdom is that the more the software costs, the less "user-friendly" it needs to be... the user is already (financially) committed to digging that value out.

Put SketchBook Pro next to ACAD, or 123D next to Alias, and consider that they are from the same company (and in some cases, the same software designers).

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The largest fine art prints I make are 16x24.
I'm sure they look great at that size. Your gallery of images is impressive!
08-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member
lammie200's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,028
Off topic...

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Not to wander too far off the OP, but as a former employee of the ADSK, you should expect the opposite. Conventional wisdom is that the more the software costs, the less "user-friendly" it needs to be... the user is already (financially) committed to digging that value out.

Put SketchBook Pro next to ACAD, or 123D next to Alias, and consider that they are from the same company (and in some cases, the same software designers).
This is off topic, sorry.

I haver been using ACAD pretty much since its introduction. I didn't have too much difficulty using it and quickly became a guru that taught others. When ADSK bought Revit and tauted its 3D and BIM capabilities I tried to switch over. I can use it but I am no longer a guru. This is dissappointing because after many years of being ahead of the curve I am now behind. I am sorely dissappointed that the architectural profession has let a software company like ADSK manipulate project delivery technology. I realize that architects are a small market to ADSK. However, if they can't serve them well they should step aside. ADSK's market dominance in the architectural profession is a monopoly that only seems to be benefiting ADSK.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, notice, pentax k-5, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc My 5th PPG picture approved Danny Delcambre Post Your Photos! 2 02-21-2011 09:55 AM
PPG approved my 4th picture. Danny Delcambre Photographic Technique 3 12-16-2010 09:08 PM
PPG approved me Danny Delcambre General Talk 2 08-04-2010 09:21 PM
Government approved haircuts in Iran szurinaga General Talk 31 07-09-2010 07:54 PM
Ginger has been approved at the PPG Norm123 Photographic Technique 2 08-30-2009 08:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top