Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 is WIFE APPROVED!!!!

So I've been shooting with my new K-5 for the past few weeks and I was taking some photos yesterday and THE WIFE casually commented: "Gee, you don't seem to fiddlin' with your camera half as much these days..."

Trust me, for her to notice anything about my photography is a big deal. For her to notice what I thought I was experiencing is confirmation for me at least that the K-5 is just much easier to use.

The easiest way to describe it, is it feels like a photographer designed the interface, not World of Warcraft playing, LAN party attending, haven't had a date in... well, ever, kind of computer science major type people.

08-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you are enjoying the camera to the point where it is obvious The wife sounds like a smart lady.

08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So I've been shooting with my new K-5 for the past few weeks and I was taking some photos yesterday and THE WIFE casually commented: "Gee, you don't seem to fiddlin' with your camera half as much these days..."

Trust me, for her to notice anything about my photography is a big deal. For her to notice what I thought I was experiencing is confirmation for me at least that the K-5 is just much easier to use.

The easiest way to describe it, is it feels like a photographer designed the interface, not World of Warcraft playing, LAN party attending, haven't had a date in... well, ever, kind of computer science major type people.
Cool! Question - what were you shooting prior to the K-5?
08-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Tell her that your next Pentax will even be better and with that one lens you don't have.......

08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

It is already Squirrel approved...now Wife approved....what are you guys without a K5 waiting for?
Regards!

BTW-Congratulations & enjoy!

Celebrate with a cold beer on Otis...but don't have too many......even those Light Beers are pretty fattening.......just last year this little Girly was a Beauty Queen...before she got hooked on that Light Beer.....

Notice that double chin.....double chin on a Squirrel...that's outrageous!
[IMG] [/IMG]
08-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Haha

I wish that I could say the same as in having an architect design the CAD software that I am using! Pay upwards of $8k USD for something and you would expect that it should be usable right out of the box. Not.
08-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Cool! Question - what were you shooting prior to the K-5?
Canon 5DII and 7D, and before that Nikon D700 and D300... The K-5 is better then all of them. Seriously.

The 5DII had the best IQ by a hair, but it also had the worst interface.

The 7D was fast, but the AF was sketchy. Like most Canon's it locked on very fast, but was not very accurate. The interface was better than the 5DII.

The D300 was pretty good. The D700 interface was better then the D300. The K-5 IQ is better then both of those.

The largest fine art prints I make are 16x24.

I guess coming from film Pentax's, the Nikon's and Canon's didn't really do it for me...

08-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey! Not all computer science grads resemble that remark!

...Glad to hear the K-5 is working out well for you.
08-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I guess coming from film Pentax's, the Nikon's and Canon's didn't really do it for me...
Haha,

I was thinking about switching over to nikon about 8 months ago to the D7000 and even thought about going with canon with the 7d. that is, until i held them both at a store one day. man, do they not feel natural to me. the store i went to didn't have a k5 but they did have a k7 and man, what a difference, it just felt like it was made for my hands. Decided to stick with pentax and finally bought myself a k5 8 months later. zero regrets! that is... until pentax announces its replacement
08-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon 5DII and 7D, and before that Nikon D700 and D300... The K-5 is better then all of them. Seriously.

The 5DII had the best IQ by a hair, but it also had the worst interface.

The 7D was fast, but the AF was sketchy. Like most Canon's it locked on very fast, but was not very accurate. The interface was better than the 5DII.

The D300 was pretty good. The D700 interface was better then the D300. The K-5 IQ is better then both of those.

Now *that's* a succinct personal account comparing the different systems' cameras. Well done, good to have you here, and enjoy the forum (and your photography with the K-5).
08-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

you`ve got some mind blowing shots in your pbase albums Edward
glad that you are happy with the K5 given the experiences you have
08-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
you`ve got some mind blowing shots in your pbase albums Edward
glad that you are happy with the K5 given the experiences you have
Ditto, beautiful landscapes in your Greatest Hits. Look forward to see what you do with the K-5.
08-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Ditto, beautiful landscapes in your Greatest Hits. Look forward to see what you do with the K-5.
Stanic and Crewl1, thanks!

The K-5 really is freeing me up to do what I want to do. It took a while, but we are now at the "sweet spot" in terms of reaping the benefits of smaller bodies and lenses with a crop sensor and yet maintaining the IQ required on that crop sensor.

BUT, the only company to get this right is Pentax. Canon and Nikon are putting FF lenses on their crop cameras and riding the public desire (however unwarranted these days) for full frame.
08-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I wish that I could say the same as in having an architect design the CAD software that I am using! Pay upwards of $8k USD for something and you would expect that it should be usable right out of the box. Not.
Not to wander too far off the OP, but as a former employee of the ADSK, you should expect the opposite. Conventional wisdom is that the more the software costs, the less "user-friendly" it needs to be... the user is already (financially) committed to digging that value out.

Put SketchBook Pro next to ACAD, or 123D next to Alias, and consider that they are from the same company (and in some cases, the same software designers).

I'm sure they look great at that size. Your gallery of images is impressive!
08-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Off topic...

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Not to wander too far off the OP, but as a former employee of the ADSK, you should expect the opposite. Conventional wisdom is that the more the software costs, the less "user-friendly" it needs to be... the user is already (financially) committed to digging that value out.

Put SketchBook Pro next to ACAD, or 123D next to Alias, and consider that they are from the same company (and in some cases, the same software designers).
This is off topic, sorry.

I haver been using ACAD pretty much since its introduction. I didn't have too much difficulty using it and quickly became a guru that taught others. When ADSK bought Revit and tauted its 3D and BIM capabilities I tried to switch over. I can use it but I am no longer a guru. This is dissappointing because after many years of being ahead of the curve I am now behind. I am sorely dissappointed that the architectural profession has let a software company like ADSK manipulate project delivery technology. I realize that architects are a small market to ADSK. However, if they can't serve them well they should step aside. ADSK's market dominance in the architectural profession is a monopoly that only seems to be benefiting ADSK.