Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Weather Seals and LCDs

I was out in some heavy rains this week. Lots of fun in northern New York lakes camping with my K-5. We got swamped and had to leave a day early the rains got so bad. However during the scattered showers in the first few days this did not stop me from using the K-5 and the 16-50 in their element, RAIN. However I'm concerned about some weather seal issues. Both LCD exhibited leaks in some way. Very slight fogging on the main LCD, which has disappeared, and some very concerning flooding on the top LCD. There was a pocket of water you could move around by tipping the camera. However both remain fully functional and the top LCD has since emptied with no evidence of the leak.

Is this how the seals work or should I get Pentax on the phone? If the K-5 can't handle heavy rain then that's a problem for me.

08-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Condensation will occur even in a sealed body. If the inside of the camera is lets say 80 degrees and a humidity of 80%, the wet rain on the outside was 58 degrees, the inside in contact with the bezel of the lcd will condense the air in contact inside to 60%...ish. Once the temp equalized again, then the moisture will all be the same. Maybe a dry-pak and ziplok the camera lens off for a while will help take out the excess moisture? If no dry-pak then a larger bag and place the camera on a bed of raw...UNCOOKED!.. rice. ...Not to insult, but yes I gave similar advice and yes the person did happen to have left over take-out rice in the fridge.
08-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
I was out in some heavy rains this week. Lots of fun in northern New York lakes camping with my K-5. We got swamped and had to leave a day early the rains got so bad. However during the scattered showers in the first few days this did not stop me from using the K-5 and the 16-50 in their element, RAIN. However I'm concerned about some weather seal issues. Both LCD exhibited leaks in some way. Very slight fogging on the main LCD, which has disappeared, and some very concerning flooding on the top LCD. There was a pocket of water you could move around by tipping the camera. However both remain fully functional and the top LCD has since emptied with no evidence of the leak.

Is this how the seals work or should I get Pentax on the phone? If the K-5 can't handle heavy rain then that's a problem for me.
Could be condensation...

However it could very well be the seals (thin two way tape) are not tight and are leaking around the back LCD and top LCD. The rear LCD leaking in dust is a common problem for all manufactors (my research). My K20D had a small leak in the back LCD. One day I realized it was really dusty behind the cover. This I think will tell you which it is.

Check and see if any dust it getting behind the rear LCD cover. Use a blower even and blow around the LCD cover and see if anything moves behind the cover. Becuase of the color on the top LCD its hard to see dust there. Also the seal is usally better becuase its smaller and has gravity on its side to help hold it down.

Best bet is not to guess if its condensation or if its leaking and just send it in for a warranty repair stating what happend. I called Pentax when my rear LCD was leaking in dust and they said send it in. I flat out tell them how I use my K20D of course I use it in the rain with a WR lens.

But being kinda handy with my hands and kind of a know how guy I changed the rear LCD seal my self. It was so easy and so cheap its unreal. At least back in the K20D days the cover cost a buck or two, the two way tape less than a dollar. It was so cheap I bought extras.

From observation,
The LCD itself is pressed from behind on to the body with 4 foam strips around it to seal it. You could take off the rear LCD cover and it would still be sealed. Its IMO kinda a two way weather sealing system. The thin tape keeps out larger quantities of water and the foam strips keep any water or moisture from entering the body (same with top LCD). The LCD cover is primarily to keep the LCD clean and protected. If the thin two way tape (shown below) was the real weather sealing I would say, Houston we have a problem!

Anyways I would send it in, that's the best advice.

Here is a pic of the clear LCD cover on the rear of the K20D. Its tinted dark at the edges. Its also made of polycarbonate, which is the same material as the body; and very strong. But do note and look carefully at how thin and small the two way tape is. It does not take much for it to loosen enough to cause leaks. Its not super strong tape!

Send it in and be honest. Pentax should check and repair if needed.