Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

What's interesting is it seems to be the people coming from K20D or K-7 that say the K-5 is a game changer. I came from a humble K-x and the K-5 is not a game changer in terms of IQ over the K-x. The K-x had superb IQ and to be honest I've noticed very little difference in IQ with the K-5 even at high ISO. OK there's a bit more in the shadows that can be brough out, but it's not a huge improvement by any means.

Perhaps you should get a K-x & a FA31 if it's IQ you are interested in? I know seems silly but the K-x is a mighty camera if you only care about IQ (and not controls, wether sealing etc etc).

08-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
What's interesting is it seems to be the people coming from K20D or K-7 that say the K-5 is a game changer. I came from a humble K-x and the K-5 is not a game changer in terms of IQ over the K-x. The K-x had superb IQ and to be honest I've noticed very little difference in IQ with the K-5 even at high ISO. OK there's a bit more in the shadows that can be brough out, but it's not a huge improvement by any means.

Perhaps you should get a K-x & a FA31 if it's IQ you are interested in? I know seems silly but the K-x is a mighty camera if you only care about IQ (and not controls, wether sealing etc etc).
I know what you are saying. I also upgraded from kx to k-5, and where as k-5 presented some very useful improvements - such as better focus speed (low light focus in k-x is nothing to write home about), better viewfinder (but still bad compared to FF), more physical buttons - but it did not seem a big leap - because k-x already had very decent high ISO performance. K-5 is better, but not by much.

But I guess from a k-20d or k-7, the high ISO of k-5 does seem a big leap forward.

Last edited by dexmus; 08-12-2011 at 12:34 AM.
08-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How can the K-x be compared to the K-5?
The K-5's uber quiet shutter is reason enough to upgrade, not to mention the weather sealing, superior dynamic range, better build quality, more accurate WB, higher fps,better AF, ergonomics and control layout and a host of other features.

Forget the FA 31mm Limited and go with the K-5.
08-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Allow me to make a suggestion: make an investment plan of it.
First, sell that zoom lens to accumulate some funds.
Second, get that 31 mm lens, the K20 is still a good camera for the time being.
Third, a few months later when the wallet is cured, get the much better K5 but with that darn cheap kit zoom lens, just in case you eventually would need a zoom...
Forth, again after the wallet got some rest, get a DA 15 mm.
Finally, when the state of your nation allows it, get the 100 mm WR Macro.
So, you will end up with a good set of gear whit in a fairly 'short' time!

08-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I don't think there is a quick easy answer. I have a bucket of glass and the 31 isn't in the bucket.
I've spent 20 years accumulating my collection of glass. Early this year, I moved from the K10 to the K5, and it was really exciting. the quality of my photos clearly got better, then a month ago
the K5 croaked and is off at CHRIS, and I dug out my K10. What I've noticed is that I'm getting better results with it than I used to as well. While this seems bizzare, I attribute it to the improved controls on the K5. I think the story is that tweaks that I picked up and began using on the K5 because of its more friendly user interface, actually exist in the K10. Maybe its a statement of my incompetence as a photographer, but he joyous expereince of the K5 sent me digging around in the obscure menus of the K10 to see if I couldn't somehow accomplish with the K10 what I did with the k5----and have often found that I could....

In the interim I also had a K7 around for a while, and i quickly developed an affection for it as well. At this point in time we are probably half way to the "K-next" camera. while it isn't clear, the balance is shifting over time to guying the glass and waiting for the 'next-gen' on the body. If you are going to wait a couple more months before moving is becomes pretty easy to say that waiting out Photokina announcements is indicated.
08-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
I know what you are saying. I also upgraded from kx to k-5, and where as k-5 presented some very useful improvements - such as better focus speed (low light focus in k-x is nothing to write home about), better viewfinder (but still bad compared to FF), more physical buttons - but it did not seem a big leap - because k-x already had very decent high ISO performance. K-5 is better, but not by much.
I came from a humble K-x and the K-5 is not a game changer in terms of IQ over the K-x. The K-x had superb IQ and to be honest I've noticed very little difference in IQ with the K-5 even at high ISO. OK there's a bit more in the shadows that can be brough out, but it's not a huge improvement by any means.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
How can the K-x be compared to the K-5?
The K-5's uber quiet shutter is reason enough to upgrade, not to mention the weather sealing, superior dynamic range, better build quality, more accurate WB, higher fps,better AF, ergonomics and control layout and a host of other features.
I am saving up my pennies for a K-5 because by all accounts it is an excellent camera. I look forward to the quiet shutter, the fast AF, and the tanklike build, et. al.... But I appreciate the first-hand comparisons to the K-x with regards to IQ - it helps level-set my expectations of the camera.

To the OP, I vote for the glass, and maybe a K-x if you can fit it in the budget and don't take pictures in the rain...
08-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

First the 31, then the K5. The 31 is appreciating, while the K5 is depreciating. I have a K20 like you, and also a 31. Looking to acquire the K5 after it breaks $1K near the end of the year.

I am looking forward to the lower noise and increased DR, especially in low ISO, low light.....

08-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I am saving up my pennies for a K-5 because by all accounts it is an excellent camera. I look forward to the quiet shutter, the fast AF, and the tanklike build, et. al.... But I appreciate the first-hand comparisons to the K-x with regards to IQ - it helps level-set my expectations of the camera.

To the OP, I vote for the glass, and maybe a K-x if you can fit it in the budget and don't take pictures in the rain...
I went from a K-x to a K5 myself. Personally, I feel the K5 is about 1 1/2 stop better in ISO compare to the K-x. I would try not to shoot anything beyond ISO 800 before, but now, I would feel comfortable going to around 2000 with the K5. 3200 is still a little too noisy, but that's just my point of view.

What I really find essential now are the controls. Metering, Autofocus points, and Autofocus mode all have dedicated switches on the K5; I can select all these settings on the fly whereas before, I would have to access the menu. I think a point that doesn't get a lot of cover is now much nicer the LCD screen is jumping from the K-x to the K5. After about a week with the new camera, whenever I move over and look at shots from the K-x, everything would look muddy and unclear. Guess I've just been too spoil. the quiet shutter is also a plus, along with the nicer handle grip.

In term of image quality, I didn't feel that it was a big leap from the K-x, but this is only a testament to how great the K-x is. I feel both cameras are very sharp under the right settings and display brilliant colors. But I don't think I can go back to the K-x now with all the extra control and the amazing built quality of the camera. So for me, I think the K5 a much more worthy purchase in term of physicality and ergonomics than image quality and improve ISO.

08-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The K5....no question about it. The 31Ltd is a game changer......at 31mm, nothing more. The K5 is a game changer at every mm and in more other ways than you can imagine until you shoot with one. Ordinarily, I would say lens....but I have a K5, I know better.
I'm with Rupert on this one....
08-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lmhuang Quote
Now I have the K20d da17-70 da*55 and DA70.
I want to sell out the DA70 and buy a new lens or upgrade my k20d up to k5,
which is better for me? FA31 or k5.
If I were to choose between the two, I think it would be the the FA31mm lens, based on the fact its been field-tested for much, much longer with fewer reported issues.

I'd probably do a table of PROs and CONs for both the products and see what people who've been using them for a while are saying. I suspect I'd probably see less CONs with the lens, and just as many PROs as the camera or even more.
08-17-2011, 04:25 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
I count the number K5 vs FA31....
Now i am totally unsure... and the easier solution is to get both the K5 and FA 31 Ltd..

Cheers!
08-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Provided that you know that the 31mm perspective works for you, I'd recommend to get the lens.

The K-5 is just a camera; an excellent camera, but it will only allow you to take some more images in situations where another camera might let you down. The 31/1.8, in contrast, will allow you to take different images in many situations. The lens creates the look, not the camera.

Furthermore, I'm agreeing with other posters about the depreciation of the camera. The K-5 will only get cheaper and if you are patient enough, you might even get an even better camera (successor model). The 31/1.8, in contrast, might become unavailable at some point. It has been rumoured to be "out of production" a number of times. It cannot be ordered by German dealers anymore. Whether that's just temporary or permanent, who knows?

Get the lens while you can and later the K-5 (or better).
08-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not get a K5 and a cheaper 30mm lens like the Sigma 30mm f1.4. I understand the FA limited is amazing, but the cost is amazing too, right now. 1000 dollars is just pretty steep for that lens.

K5 does change things from K20 significantly -- it has all the good improvements of the K7, plus a significantly better sensor. Hard to beat it. Price will continue to drop a little on the K5, but the reason to buy equipment shouldn't be based on resale value, but rather on the benefit to your shooting. I do find that the K5 makes all my lenses better (as Rupert said) and that is worth more to me than the FA 31 would be.
08-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do find that the K5 makes all my lenses better (as Rupert said) and that is worth more to me than the FA 31 would be.
The point is that it doesn't make the lenses better in the majority of shooting situations. It doesn't have a larger sensor, it "only" has a much better dynamic range and better AF. In many situations, these properties do not make a difference, though. I understand benjikan still shots with a K20D for his professional work.
08-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My thoughts exactly! +1 to that comment.