Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The point is that it doesn't make the lenses better in the majority of shooting situations. It doesn't have a larger sensor, it "only" has a much better dynamic range and better AF. In many situations, these properties do not make a difference, though. I understand benjikan still shots with a K20D for his professional work.
It depends on what you shoot. I agree, that at iso 100 in a low dynamic range situation, you will see no difference. Studio photography, such as Benji shoots, is well served by a K20 or, even a k10. On the other hand, shooting photos in my home in the evening hours, I can see a clear difference at iso 800 and more of a difference at higher isos. It really does open shooting opportunities -- situations where I would have put my camera away before (still would, with the K7) I can keep shooting.

08-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
situations where I would have put my camera away before (still would, with the K7) I can keep shooting.
Same goes for Kx or Kr
08-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Same goes for Kx or Kr
Of course. This was the big argument when Pentax released the kx and the K7 was their flagship camera. There were a number of people who purchased kxs to go along with their K7s and some actually sold their K7s in favor of the kx. At the same time, I like the extra controls, sealing, penta prism and better viewfinder that are on the K7/K5 and would be unwilling to give it up, even for a better sensor.
08-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #34
Site Supporter

back to the basics

QuoteOriginally posted by lmhuang Quote
Now I have the K20d da17-70 da*55 and DA70.
I want to sell out the DA70 and buy a new lens or upgrade my k20d up to k5,
which is better for me? FA31 or k5.
why do you want to sell any lens?
what are you looking for in a new lens?
why do you want to sell the camera?
what are you looking for in a new camera?
btw what kind of photos do you want to take?

08-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

K5 gives you: Higher dynamic range (if you shoot raw), better low light capability with all lenses:

FA31 gives you: Nicer looking pictures at 31mm.

Get both, you'll only lose money on the K5.
I may have just convinced myself to get the 31. :-S
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #36
Forum Member

Upgrade from K7 to K5 made all my lenses better, so I would say K-5. But then again, I have never tried "the king of Pentax lenses"...
08-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I have no idea if it changes the game as I have an used an LX for 30 years. It's certaintly different.
08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Bit of a long wait ahead for Photokina

Reminder to self, repeat until memorized: Photokina is held once every other year, previous Photokina was in 2010, next one 2012, after that 2014... :-)

"And in 2 month, there is Photokina, maybe Pentax will unleash something new who knows ?"

"If you are going to wait a couple more months before moving is becomes pretty easy to say that waiting out Photokina announcements is indicated."

08-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Finntax Quote
Upgrade from K7 to K5 made all my lenses better, so I would say K-5. But then again, I have never tried "the king of Pentax lenses"...
The placebo effect is so strong
09-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member

From a purely monetary (as in investment) point of view, the FA31 will likely go up in price.
The K5 will likely not share that trend You will be able to pick one cheap in the marketplace when the next body comes out next year and everyone will start dumping theirs. Not so with good lenses...

I sold off my higher-end bodies (K7) and invested in better glass (da15, fa77).
A move I have not regretted ...

Last edited by photocanadian; 09-01-2011 at 11:03 AM.
09-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

I too am in the lens camp, nothing wrong with your K20 (unless you find yourself frequently shooting in low light and need that aspect of performance. If you shoot mostly 400 iso and below them the 31 is by far the better investment. As has been mentioned lenses hold their value much better than bodies. Personally in your situation I'd sell the zoom get the 31 and later grab a DA 14 or 15. But I am primarily a prime shooter. If you use the zoom a lot do a focal length analysis of what lengths you shoot at most. you may find that the 31 is the wrong ltd for you despite it's strengths and that you would be better off finding an FA 24 f2 for instance or an FA 43

and of course when the next big thing comes out there will be good deals on k5's out there (exactly how I ended up with my K7 last fall replacing my K10, a move I never regretted BTW)
09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I too am in the lens camp, nothing wrong with your K20 (unless you find yourself frequently shooting in low light and need that aspect of performance. If you shoot mostly 400 iso and below them the 31 is by far the better investment. As has been mentioned lenses hold their value much better than bodies.
This IMHO is where this argument falls down. Lots of people are looking at this from a financial standpoint with the argument that the 31 Ltd is a better investment. However from a purely photographic stand point the K5 surely wins the day because it will improve your ability to get shots that were hitherto impossible. And of course it is an improvement that reflects on every single lens you have, even making the changing of some lenses (from say variable or f4 to constants or f2.8) more of an artistic argument than one based on necessity.
09-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
This IMHO is where this argument falls down. Lots of people are looking at this from a financial standpoint with the argument that the 31 Ltd is a better investment. However from a purely photographic stand point the K5 surely wins the day because it will improve your ability to get shots that were hitherto impossible. And of course it is an improvement that reflects on every single lens you have, even making the changing of some lenses (from say variable or f4 to constants or f2.8) more of an artistic argument than one based on necessity.
While that is true, buying a 31 now will cost the same or less than down the line whereas the K5 can only go down in price. If you buy your lenses based on focal lengths you know you use then they can have as dramatic an impact for the end user, and are better value in the long run, another better body is always around the corner and they devalue from day one. I admit the K5 can make a big difference in your shooting style (or so I hear and see in examples of iso's people shoot with it) but whether it makes that big a difference depends on how you shoot. if most of your shooting is 400 iso or less the difference will not be as dramatic as it is at high iso.
the big thing it brings to the table is with the extra few stops of usable iso so in that you are right your f 4 lens can now shoo in situations reserved for your fast 50 previously. I don't deny it's game changing camera, but as i said it will only go down in price. the lens won't and in fact it has gone up over the years (thanks Hoya)
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I would like to propose a slightly different perspective for looking at this dilemma:

Q1: Will there be a camera body much better than the K5 in the future?
A1: Yes (very safe to say)

Q2: Will there be a lens much better than the FA31 in the future?
A2: Ahhh....sure....maybe (so let call it "perhaps")

That's how I justified that #2 makes more sense (to me, at least) than #1.
But, of course, different folks will have different priorities (mine was mostly financial in a minimalistic way).

If my funds were unlimited I would surely go for both K5 and the FA31 ... they're a lovely couple.

BTW. The K5 will not improve the bokeh, distortions or flare resistance of our current lenses (someone let me know if I'm wrong, please ) which are the strong points of the FAs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

Last edited by photocanadian; 09-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
09-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Yes but that is exactly my point Eddie. People are promoting the 31 on a single focal length (that may or may not suit a particular shooter) but more especially on financial considerations (the actual cost of buying it or the K5 aside) instead of on photographic merit - whereas the K5 really is a game changer whether you are shooting birds /wildlife/sports or anything in low light (and everybody does, some just more than others). If you want to consider the argument on purely photographic merit it's a no-brainer due the wide range of improvement the K5 would make.