Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
I would like to propose a slightly different perspective for looking at this problem:

Q1: Will there be a camera body much better than the K5 in the future?
A1: Yes (very safe to say)

Q2: Will there be a lens much better than the FA31 in the future?
A2: Ahhh....sure....maybe (so let call it "perhaps")

That's how I justified that #2 makes more sense (to me, at least) than #1.
But, of course, different folks will have different priorities (mine was mostly financial).

If my funds were unlimited I would surely go for both K5 and the FA31 ... they're a lovely couple.
Hmm but how is that relevant to shooting today ? The same could be said for almost anything in life, your TV, Car, Computer .. wife even ! But that doesn't stop you investing today because life is too short, who knows when it all comes to an end and so why say to yourself that a 'better' camera is coming when the one that exists today will give you more enjoyment and improve your photographic opportunities and dare I say quality of photos in many cases.

09-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #47
Forum Member

A lot of the time I don't see dramatic difference when people are shooting with a F31 or, let's say, a F35 2.4.

But when people are shooting in door, pictures can just be un-usable when you don't have a camera with good high-iso performance.
My two cents
09-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ran this by my wife and apparently she is not replaceable .... so you owe her an apology .... haha

But I believe you missed my point a little - It's just my personal belief that the ROI on a lens, in terms of the sheer pleasure and opportunities it provides, is higher for me than a body ... given a budget (say, $1k for either a K5 or a FA31).

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Hmm but how is that relevant to shooting today ? The same could be said for almost anything in life, your TV, Car, Computer .. wife even ! But that doesn't stop you investing today because life is too short, who knows when it all comes to an end and so why say to yourself that a 'better' camera is coming when the one that exists today will give you more enjoyment and improve your photographic opportunities and dare I say quality of photos in many cases.
09-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #49

Photos: Albums
Bodies come and go, but lens stay. That is the way i have seen all of this progression through the years.

09-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I thought this was a photographers' forum and not an investment bankers' / produce exchange forum. I couldn't care less about the future value of my lenses and camera, I bought them to use them for taking shots, not as an investment.

And it's also true the less time you're married, the more money you save
09-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #51
Forum Member

I would get the lens if I were you, 31mm is a gem. There's new dSLR coming out from Pentax might be better than K-5 on Photokina this year. Or maybe wait few more months to see what Pentax has to offer? Get K-5 unless it's really going to make you happier, that's what I did.