Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great tip - ID your memory cards!

I saw this tip sent in by someone to the Popular Photo website. I had not thought of it before. If your memory card, small as it is, gets lost on vacation or whatever, this could be useful.

Write your name, address and phone number (I use a black Sharpie) in the middle of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of white paper. I preface this information with "This memory card belongs to:"

Then, after you've formatted your memory card, make the first shot on it a picture of what you've written down - it IDs your card, and you then have a decent chance of getting it returned to you if it's lost and found.

I think this was a great tip!

John

08-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What if the first thing a person does is format the card.
08-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting tip. You could also just create a text file with the info too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
What if the first thing a person does is format the card.
Then they do what they would have done anyway - keep the card.
08-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Interesting tip. You could also just create a text file with the info too.

Then they do what they would have done anyway - keep the card.
Your camera can't keep a text file within itself - it can however take a photo of the piece of paper!

08-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Now that the thief or finder has your contact details, he can proceed to rob your place safe in the knowledge that you're away and still on holiday.

Last edited by creampuff; 08-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.
08-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A good idea, but as creampuff says, there is the issue of a dishonest person getting the details.
Maybe just your mobile phone number or email address.
You could write it on the card itself with a sharp paint pen - an honest person may not think to view the files.
08-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #7

If I lost my SD card it will probably be where nobody will be able to find it or it will have been ruined beyond use.

08-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good thoughts here. Probably just name, cell phone number and e-mail address would be a prudent thing to do rather than also list an address.

By the way, does anyone make small labels that will fit on SD cards? I've had to make them from larger labels, and it's a pain. Just putting a number on the card that can be cross-referenced on a "subject sheet" is helpful.

John
08-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Now that the thief or finder has your contact details, he can proceed to rob your place safe in the knowledge that you're away and still on holiday.
"...Exactement!..." as Poirot said...
08-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
While I trust that there are far more trustworthy people around than there are thieves, the consequences of a thieve getting this information could be more severe. OTOH, the chances of a thieve finding my address and then actually coming to rob the place is not very likely, given that I usually travel to foreign countries thousands of kilometers away.
08-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
While I trust that there are far more trustworthy people around than there are thieves, the consequences of a thieve getting this information could be more severe. OTOH, the chances of a thieve finding my address and then actually coming to rob the place is not very likely, given that I usually travel to foreign countries thousands of kilometers away.
Otis has Agents in every country and on every Continent......of course they would gladly return your card...for a small fee. Shipping, handling, peanuts.....
Regards!
08-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OTOH, the chances of a thieve finding my address and then actually coming to rob the place is not very likely, given that I usually travel to foreign countries thousands of kilometers away.
The network of like minded crooks in the information age knows no boundaries. Your place on the other side of the globe could be stripped bare before you even realize you lost your card.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-13-2011 at 06:36 PM.
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

When journeying, I take effort not to: 1) antagonize armed people, 2) step in front of speeding vehicles, and 3) lose my memory cards. For the latter, I keep an old zip-up calculator carry case in my Ameribag. In this case are backup batteries, memory cards, and MiniMagLite bulbs. When it's card-swap time, one comes out and one goes in. In a little attache is my mini-Laptop and a card-reader. When it's image-download time, card comes out of camera (or calculator case) and into the reader, my move-files script runs, and the card goes right back into camera (or case). Nothing lost, nothing ventured, no stinking ID.
08-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
2) step in front of speeding vehicles,
Never do this when I am at home either, it could bugger up your day.

Greetings
08-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Then you probably haven't been amazed by the power of Google Maps with Street View. Dead easy for a determined no-gooder to zero-in on where you stay.