Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How low could I expect the price of the K-5 to go?

Hey board,

I just phoned a local camera shop to ask about purchasing a K-5 body.

I got quoted $600 only, which I though was RIDICULOUSLY low. Even though their website had it listed at $1450, which I thought was a little on the high side (unfortunately they don't have any right now or I'd be at the camera store )

I even confirmed with him 3 times we were talking about a K-5.

Am I correct in thinking that the guy I was talking to was confusing the K-5 with a different camera? Because I can't see a camera that is currently being sold at $1200 and higher being that cheap. The reason I'm asking is because I was gonna go out and get the body this weekend, but not if I can save $600 by waiting haha

08-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
Hey board,

I just phoned a local camera shop to ask about purchasing a K-5 body.

I got quoted $600 only, which I though was RIDICULOUSLY low. Even though their website had it listed at $1450, which I thought was a little on the high side (unfortunately they don't have any right now or I'd be at the camera store )

I even confirmed with him 3 times we were talking about a K-5.

Am I correct in thinking that the guy I was talking to was confusing the K-5 with a different camera? Because I can't see a camera that is currently being sold at $1200 and higher being that cheap. The reason I'm asking is because I was gonna go out and get the body this weekend, but not if I can save $600 by waiting haha
I have a feeling that the guy was thinking about a different camera - keeping in mind that the Canon T3i is also called EOS Kiss-5 (or something like that) in places outside of North America.
08-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Seem they give you the price of the K-R

Look at this site for best price for K-5 in Canada.

Pentax K-5 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
08-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Like everyone here has said that has to be a mistake, I'm guessing the shop is so unfamilliar with pentax they can't tell the models appart and quoted you the k-r/k-x. But I guess it doesn't hurt to go to the shop and see if it really is the K-5

08-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
$600 ? I just bought one and it cost twice that and I thought that was a good deal, but stanger things have happened - a loss leader perhaps ...worth checking out for sure.
08-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's probably never going to fall below $1195 or so retail.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think it'll be around 1000 by year's end.

08-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam, could you provide us with your reasoning?

In some ways I could agree, based on possibly some parts shortage, or Pentax discontinuing production early based on the K5 replacement, so that there will not be any excess inventory to clear. Also, the Dollar Yen could keep the price high also.

Personally, I am hoping that it will break $1K by years end or when its replacement is announced or shipped. That would probably be 1Q 2012, I would guess.

With the earthquake, the sale to Ricoh, the economic problems, exchange rates, etc. I would guess that the low would be mid $800 if it is able to break the $1K mark, in time and if there is any inventory on hand when the replacement starts to ship....

The lowest price I could find for a Nikon D7000 is $1070, so I am going to guess that the K5 is probably lagging by 3 months.

just my best guess....
08-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I suspect this is right. The dollar's not getting any stronger, but will probably weaken even more. It should also be kept in mind that the K-5 is the best DSLR Pentax has ever made and has better chance of holding its value longer. Nor is it likely that the camera that replaces it will be a significant upgrade.
08-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #10
Banned

I think that about a year from now the K-5 is at the same pricepoint as the K-7 is right now. But only when the K-5 successor is in stores.
08-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I got mine for $1133 including shipping, but that was a grey import.
08-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
Banned

Looked into the price and it vary between 949 and 969 euro for the cheaper online stores where the 969 store would be the I trust as a good store. Going up to 1142 euro.

My K-5's are both bought with a group purchase and with the x-mass cashback. The black one was 945 euro for me. So waiting for the people on our dutch forum did not yet pay-off
08-12-2011, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I don't know about the US situation, but the European prices tend not to drop very fast before a new model is introduced.
Not too much even after the introduction of a successor model.

If we look at the prices of the K-7 and the K-5 over time in the Netherlands.

The K-7:

Have a look at the K-7 price development after the start of the price development of the K-5.

The K-5:

The K-5 was introduced October and became generally available around december 2010.
You see that the K-7 price dropped until Januari, but that more or less stopped then.
It even became more expensive after that.

If we have a look at the K20D price development:

We see that the K20D price did more or less the same after the K-7 was introduced (August 2009).

If history is an indication for the future, I expect the K-5 price to be at its lowest point around 3 months after its successor is introduced.
What means that you better wait.

- Bert

NB Price references are taken from: tweakers.net and based on Internet prices.
08-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really don't think the K5 will drop below 1000 dollars. More to do with the weakness of the dollar than anything else. It does have higher end components than the K10/K20 bodies that dropped into the 600 dollar range at the end of their life cycle. I imagine the sensor cost quite a bit more than the K7 sensor and I never really saw the K7 drop below 950 dollars (new).
08-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really don't think the K5 will drop below 1000 dollars. More to do with the weakness of the dollar than anything else. It does have higher end components than the K10/K20 bodies that dropped into the 600 dollar range at the end of their life cycle. I imagine the sensor cost quite a bit more than the K7 sensor and I never really saw the K7 drop below 950 dollars (new).
Not to be contrarian but I recall seeing leftover but new K-7 bodies in the $700 range for a bit - well after the K-5 was introduced, of course. And today you can find them at B&H for $799. However, anyone who really wanted a low price on a K-7 body did have to wait a bit.

I had pretty much decided to skip the K-5 over reliability concerns. But a fellow Pentaxian seems to be succeeding in efforts to change my mind. I'd personally like to see the body-only come down to $1000. I'm sure that won't be until the end of 2011 at the earliest. But the replacement camera may be announced by then - and then what will we do?