Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's really brought back the passion

I know, another I love my K5 thread but felt strongly enough to post this story. A little historical background.

My first digital Camera was a Sony DSC D85 I think (5mp). From that point onward I was hooked on digital cameras. I stayed away from DSLR for a few reasons, cost and no experience being the biggest (others call it fear ha-ha).

My first DSLR was a K100D. Along with a couple of Sigma consumer lens. I got into this for < $1000.00 which was my criteria. I fell in love still using P mode mostly - then went to a K1OD then K20D any buying some consumer glass as well as some premium glass.

Over those 4 years I learned to love DSLR photography; however I was (am) still not a student. I read Understanding Exposure, know the basics of a histogram, etc., and still consider myself an advanced novice. To put it in other terms it's like using Microsoft Office - I can create spreadsheets, pretty graphs, put together a document with headers, footers and a table of contents but really use about 10% of the software’s capabilities. I feel the same way about my DSLR gear.

I lost some passion a few months ago. I don't think I picked up the camera (K20D) from end of February until late June. No real reason, just excuses, (crappy weather, photographed everything here over the last 4 years, lazy, etc.). I had been thinking of buying the K5 since early June, after reading so many raving reviews here. I think part of my frustration lied in I could not get consistent good results in the camera. While I have all the tools for pp (LightRoom , PS CS4) I don't know those very well. I think this increased my frustration - yeah I can get a good shot. Just need a couple hours to process them all (I work on a computer all day anyway ...so PP is not my favorite pastime if it takes more than a minute or two).

Well in late July I did it. Now to the point (whew) - it has really brought back more than my passion. I want to be a better technical photographer. I think I have the 'eye' or whatever you want to call it and if I don't so what I think I do and that is all that really matters . I only scratched the technical side’s surface. So far the K5 just gives me better results out of the camera. I know I could have gotten these from the K100D, K10D, K20D and on many occasions I did, the K5 to me anyway is just way more consistent in producing results I like right out the camera.

So there ya go - if you are like me and sitting on the fence , that is my story. YMMV but for me it's been a great purchase and brought back the passion and then some.

Since the purchase I want to learn. I am looking at night photography, Astral, I have already planned a photographic trip this fall. While I will never be an Ansel Adams, for me it's a great hobby with very rewarding results.

08-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A nice read. These words from Robert M Pirsig come to mind -

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
08-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Summarized (from an old T-shirt):
If it feels good, DO IT!!
08-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Davey! Glad to hear that you're re-energized. I have to say that the K5 does it for me too. It's what my K10/K20 should have been and now, there it is. Regardless of the camera though, I find that motivation is always an issue. Having some reason to shoot is always easier than not. A class/workshop/vacation/ or just a photo shoot with a friend generally get's me going. Photo contests are a help too because I have to shoot to something. Anyway, enjoy your new gear. I love mine.

08-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Love to see another "My True Story"........the K5 is indeed a wonderful camera. Maybe a word for Otis would be in order? He is a dedicated K5 fan and owes his never ending enthusiasm to the K5, and to spreading the word!

Fun....the K5 is fun as well as serious, that's the big difference for me.

Regards!
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Dave,
congratulations, a very good decision from my experience.

yesterday, i sat down with a good friend, a canon 50D owner, and we were talking about a planned photo shoot of a guitar player that a 3 rd friend asked us to do for his local campaign. I was using my K5 to illustrate a point about shooting, and he became impressed with the "status" panel in the lcd screen, and then doubly impressed with the fact that the K5 metering shows +or-5ev levels. So there are things with the K5 i'm already taking for granted

My existing lenses seem to perform with higher resolution, i never thought i would notice that kind of change between the K5 and the K20, perhaps my imagination. Also as you said, the auto WB just seems to be right as is, Lots of nice discoveries with this camera.
08-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #7

Great stuff man!

RIDE

08-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buddy, that was a good read. I started "serious" photography at the end of '78 when my Mom and Dad gave me an MX and M50/1.7 for Christmas. Since then, I've undergone several lengthy periods of "photographic malaise" - in fact, I'm experiencing one now. But even though I regard photography as an interest rather than a passion, something - perhaps a change of seasons, a trip to Europe, a new piece of gear, whatever - something always ropes me back in with an itch to hold a good camera and shoot some pictures.

Jer

08-13-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am glad you posted, Dave. It seems like sometimes people focus on the different quality issues that have come up with the K5 and lose sight of the fact that it is a stinking-good camera that is a joy to use.

From Pentax's standpoint, I don't know what they could release as a sequel to tempt me to buy another camera. Who knows though, I've said that before and then I end up wanting the new camera that comes out after I read about it enough...
08-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dave,

It's so refreshing to get away from all the 'gloom and doom' postings about the K5. I'm with you. The K5 takes me back to my Spotmatic II days. Everything about the camera is spectacular. I now have two kits packed, one with auto lenses, and one with my vast array of SMC Takumar M's. Which bag do you think I am using most now?
08-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your stories and thoughts. Photography is a great hobby and the K5 is a great tool. There are a lot of great tools out there but like others have mentioned for me at leat the K5 is what I hopped a DSLR would be. And this is by far the best forum to share it with.

Now let's get out there and snap some shots
08-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

daacon,

Great post. Your experience parallels my own. My first digital was a Kodak point and shoot that went sour after about a year, but it taught me how easy digital photography could be compared to 35mm film. I thought long and hard before shelling out for a K100D, but was glad I did. My photographic horizons really expanded, and I had a ball with it. When the K200D came out, I didn't hesitate; I really went for those 10 mp photos and in the process I had purchased some new glass including the versatile 18-250mm that's no longer made. A lot of my shots turned out to be indoors without flash, and I felt somewhat limited by the ISO capabilities of the K200D. Reading about the new K-5, I felt we were made for each other - there was nothing this camera couldn't do and do well. It was a big expenditure, but I felt I was ready to take advantage of all the camera has to offer. I particularly enjoyed the 16mp pictures, which enabled me to crop in PP to get exactly the effects I wanted. The pictures I'm getting sparkle with clarity and detail; the dynamic range is great, and I can PP to my heart's content. I can take indoor shots now in low light and get very acceptable results. I've upgraded with all the newer software versions, and I've had no problems of any sort since I bought the camera in November of 2010. I have the perfect photographic tool now; in my opinion it's outclassed by no other brand overall. Any photographic failure from now on will be my own fault - I'm no longer limited by my camera in any way.

One of my granddaughters has been showing some promise as a photographer with her point and shoot cheapie camera, so I gifted her with my old K100D to get her started on serious photography and gave her a bunch of books on digital photography. She now has my original beginner's tool and plenty of reference material to do things right. She'll be a chip off the old block in no time, I'm sure.

I'm still keeping the K200D as a backup, but so far the K5 has performed flawlessly right out of the box. Like you, I'm a happy camper.

John