Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everyone! It was an amazing trip... the Amtrak ride out there was AWESOME (i'd recommend it!) however, 6 days for driving Seattle to Chicago was not long enough... triple it and maybe. There just wasn't time to stop everywhere we wanted to take photos!

Campdog: I can't imagine 8,500 photos... oh my! I had about 2,000 to sort through, and ended up keeping about 1/2. I shot between 100 and 150 per day, except the day we were in the badlands, when I shot a lot more.

To put the movie together I just used iMovie... was the easiest choice.

I also did a video of just my time at the Steve Huff Seattle Workshop, which was part of the beginning of the trip. One of my best shot from the workshop was shot with the K-5... the B&W of the boy in the fountain. If anyone would like to see more...

Rawr: The wild horses are, in fact, a sculpture... and an amazing one at that! You can read more about it here:

Wild Horses Monument — Washington Trails Association

I wish we had the time to hike closer to them (and the ambition), but every day it seemed we were running short on time!

08-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful images! Wonderful trip!!

So, would someone tell me why I am going to work today, rather than hitting the truck for a similar road trip.... Oh yea - a K5 would be nice. Leica glass would be nice also...

08-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Rawr: The wild horses are, in fact, a sculpture... and an amazing one at that!
Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

I THOUGHT they were a sculpture or something. The timing of the shot just seemed too perfect Still a nice composition though.
08-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
LOL observer! I HEAR YOU! At the end of my trip I was considering selling every asset I own (other than cameras) and hitting the road permanently! LOL...

Rawr... Had they been real horses I never would have gotten the shot... I would have been too amazed to take the photo! LOL

08-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Had they been real horses I never would have gotten the shot... I would have been too amazed to take the photo! LOL
We have me down here at Chincoteague and Assateague Island's:

Assateague Wild Ponies - Assateague Island National Seashore
Chincoteague Wild Ponies

I had a run in with a large group of them while out fishing at chincoteague one morning, sprung up on me while fishing one of the wooded beach areas - did not have a camera with me, only fishing gear...

EDIT:

Here is a photo collection for the assateague ones... -> Wild Ponies of Assateague 2009 - Hawaii Pictures Company - Hawaii Pictures for your Hawaii photography needs

---
08-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow - looking at those photos make me want to plan a weekend trip

--
08-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #22

Great Pictures!! Makes me want the K5 even More
08-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #23
Forum Member

Great shots Amy - particularly the industrial ones.

08-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Great shots, Amy! I'd love to take a trip like that. You've inspired me to try a video/slide show for trips like this. I'm going to give it a try.

Your shots are very nice. I love the Badlands shots, but your street shots are also great (as usual). Thanks for posting them here.
08-16-2011, 02:55 AM   #25

Thanks everyone! It was an amazing trip... the Amtrak ride out there was AWESOME (i'd recommend it!) however, 6 days for driving Seattle to Chicago was not long enough... triple it and maybe. There just wasn't time to stop everywhere we wanted to take photos!

Campdog: I can't imagine 8,500 photos... oh my! I had about 2,000 to sort through, and ended up keeping about 1/2. I shot between 100 and 150 per day, except the day we were in the badlands, when I shot a lot more.

To put the movie together I just used iMovie... was the easiest choice.

I also did a video of just my time at the Steve Huff Seattle Workshop, which was part of the beginning of the trip. One of my best shot from the workshop was shot with the K-5... the B&W of the boy in the fountain. If anyone would like to see more...

My Time at the Steve Huff Photo Workshop in Seattle - YouTube

Rawr: The wild horses are, in fact, a sculpture... and an amazing one at that! You can read more about it here:

Wild Horses Monument — Washington Trails Association

I wish we had the time to hike closer to them (and the ambition), but every day it seemed we were running short on time!
I know 8500 is a lot. I have been home since 16th June and still only down 5000 left.Including all the panos I have to join and edit.Places like Antelope Canyon and Bryce Canyon it was 500 each day. I hope to finish editing before next trip in June 2013.West Coast from San Francisco - Seattle -Badlands- Across to Niagra Falls and back across to LA and as much as I can see.
John
08-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #26

LOL observer! I HEAR YOU! At the end of my trip I was considering selling every asset I own (other than cameras) and hitting the road permanently! LOL...

Rawr... Had they been real horses I never would have gotten the shot... I would have been too amazed to take the photo! LOL
I felt that way after 6 weeks on the road in the US. I cant go a day without looking at the photos from the trip. I look out my office window and think,"what the hell an I doing here,I need to be back in the USA. Australia is a great country but I cant get enough of the American Scenery and the Ameriacn hospitality.
I cant wait for the next trip. 3 months in an escape camper.
John
08-16-2011, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone!

Russ... I actually really like my shots from the weekend with the Steve Huff Group... his workshops have challenged me to do more people shots and I think I'm getting better at it

Campdog... your June 2013 trip sounds fabulous! If you need tips on places to stop, just shoot me a PM. There is so much to see. If I was planning this trip again and had the time, I would give myself a month just for the driving part! Screw that, I want to win the lottery and do nothing but travel the US by car

My next trip I'm thinking smaller/shorter distance. Shoot up to Maine by Amtrak and then drive back... do it over a week I think. Likely, not until next year sadly... there just isn't enough vacation time to be had...
08-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #28

Cant wait for 2013, Planning already. This is the little van we spent our holiday camping in across the US. Thinking of renting one again nex time. Will definetly get some tips on where to go.
John

08-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That van is the awesomest thing I have ever seen... WOW! I wish they were in New York!
08-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #30

That van is the awesomest thing I have ever seen... WOW! I wish they were in New York!
You will see one there in 2013.. It was a great litle van, easy for this Aussie to drive on the Right Hand side of the road.
Im motivated now to get my photos sorted and all my wifes video edited.

John