Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #1

Any sticker seals on the box of K-5?

Usually in Asian countries, e.g. Korea and Japan, there is a sticker seal on the edge of the box to tell whether the box has been opened or not.

I just purchased my K-5, and didn't find anything of that sort, so I was wondering if there is a way to tell whether the box has been previously opened.

Thank you

08-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bags inside containing accessories and whatnot should be sealed- it would be pretty easy to see if they've been tampered with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
hm.. the only things sealed are the HDMI cable, USB cable, and the strap.

Everything else, battery, battery charger, battery cord, are not sealed.

Is this normal?

Kinda funny that the battery charger cord is is a small ziploc bag....
08-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here in Canada, every box has been opened already well at least in my case; DSLR, SLR, MF, LF lenses, P&S tripod boxes, accessory boxes, even my PC and notebook, cellphones have been opened. The only thing sealed are the manual bags.

08-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

Same in USA -- no factory seals on any Pentax camera, Lens or accessory box. Nor as "Clicker" said most consumer electronics. Doesn't give you a good feeling but that's the way it is these days. If you find physical signs it's been used send it back for refund otherwise test and use.

Buy a Pentax 2-yr extended warranty from B&H or Adorama for $20 and enjoy your new camera. You have 90 days from date of puchase to do this.

Last edited by jcp5; 08-16-2011 at 04:59 PM.
08-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can also...

You can also get the exact shutter count by downloading the PhotoMe free program and looking at the EXIF data for a RAW file shot. As far as I know you cannot tell the cummulative shutter count, manufacture date, etc. without looking at the EXIF data. This seems to be a topic that comes up on this forum frequently. You can try searches to get the down link for the program.

Both of my cameras arrived in seemingly open boxes. Both cameras showed zero for exposure counts when I tested them.
08-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My very recently purchased K-5 came in an unsealed (but unmolested) box, the camera came in an unsealed bubble wrap bag. The camera was absolutely perfect and photome reported zero shutter actions. As said earlier, the lack of sealing is unsettling, but maybe that's the way it is these days.

regards,

germar
08-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I am usually very careful when opening a new photo item. You can kind of tell if the cardboard has been bent back recently/a lot. In the 100's of items I've bought from B&H, I can only remember 1 instance when I received a lens that had obviously been opened previously.

08-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their input!

I came to a conclusion that my camera is a previously sensor stained one, that was sent back to the factory for a clean up.

I am assuming so because the shutter count was 0 out of the box, but the manual booklet seemed somewhat "used." (the front page had signs of it being folded back.)

This is fine I suppose, although I would rather have one that's completely new

I'm gonna do some sensor stain tests tomorrow, after a bit of video shooting to heat up the sensor for possible stains that might show up.

If I find anything, it's going back for an exchange
08-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Check the...

QuoteOriginally posted by ljj1222 Quote
Thanks to everyone for their input!

I came to a conclusion that my camera is a previously sensor stained one, that was sent back to the factory for a clean up.

I am assuming so because the shutter count was 0 out of the box, but the manual booklet seemed somewhat "used." (the front page had signs of it being folded back.)

This is fine I suppose, although I would rather have one that's completely new

I'm gonna do some sensor stain tests tomorrow, after a bit of video shooting to heat up the sensor for possible stains that might show up.

If I find anything, it's going back for an exchange
You might want to check the date of manufacture to confirm that you received a unit that was built during the time that sensor stain was an issue. I believe that after November 2010 sensor stain was no longer an issue. Also, I would guess that stained units were replaced with entirely new units, as opposed to swapping out sensors. However, someone that actually had the stain problem can shed more light on that.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the condition of the manual. The manual that I received with my K-R looked almost like a cheap photo copy of the original. I am sure there was an effort to cut printing costs at some point during Hoya's reign.