Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Thinking of buying K5

Hi, All going to Italy in December, and was thinking about selling my mint K 7 for a K5. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost. Will be taking a lot of indoor shots, and would like to do so without a tripod. What's the highest iso that's pretty much noise free? What's a fair selling price for an absolutely mint K7 Body?

08-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Hi, All going to Italy in December, and was thinking about selling my mint K 7 for a K5. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost. Will be taking a lot of indoor shots, and would like to do so without a tripod. What's the highest iso that's pretty much noise free? What's a fair selling price for an absolutely mint K7 Body?
What the highest ISO number "pretty noise free" is?
It depends: size you explode the picture to, darkness of the picture, type of noise reduction applied.

My Auto ISO on my K-7 runs between: 100-800, my K-5 is on: 80-6400.
I shoot RAW and selectively add NR using Lightroom 3.4.1.

Hope that helps...

Bert

More differences:
K-5 > K-7:
- Dual axis indicators
- 5 User modes
- Fast LV AF
- Faster AF, still!
- Better video
- Optional GPS
- Less noise at *ALL* ISO levels
- Remembers last menu setting
- Somewhat better use of 4 way controller
- I like the colour rendering better

K-7 > K-5:
- Playback portrait rotates with camera
- Faster processing
- Flash results are more consistant

If it is worth upgrading? If you are a no-flash, indoor photographer? YES!

Cheers, Bert
08-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Banned

Well it is wordth the upgrade. I do use all iso-settings, but try to stay below iso 2500. That was a horror with K-7.
08-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade and you'll never regret it. Like others say, the ISO capabilities are where the K-5 really shines brightly (that and the DR).

08-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Definitely get the K-5 over the K-7 if you can afford it. Some of the most amazing things to photograph in Italy are the cathedrals. The interiors are low light situations where flash is prohibited. The beauty of these structures, both inside and out left me stunned and speechless. I *so* wish I'd had my K-r on that trip!
08-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
What's a fair selling price for an absolutely mint K7 Body?
$600-$700 I'd say. Try posting it in the marketplace and comparing prices there!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #7

Helloooo,

I am in the same boat, really want to buy the K -5 (currently have K10D). Initially, I hesitated b'cse of the sensor stain and now its the shutter problems. I know not everyone has the problem, but still makes me think what if? After reading through the threads, it looks like a particular batch of the cameras are having this problem (does anyone has data regarding it?).

08-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I recently sold my mint K7 (924 shutter count) for $675. I think I could have held out for a little more, but then I wouldn't have sold it so quickly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
$600-$700 I'd say. Try posting it in the marketplace and comparing prices there!
08-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

I'm a newbie in the same boat - trying to decide between waiting for the price to drop and jsut going ahead and getting a K-5.

When I look back at all my disappointing shots and frustrations on trips to Italy and China, the strengths of the K-5 would have really helped. My older camera only went ISO 800, and even that was a mess. As Devorama said, the insides of those cathederals, historic sites, and Vatican museums are amazing. I was constantly trying to find something to hold the camera against or rest it on for the slow shutter speeds. Then in China our one day on the Great Wall was a drizzly rainy mess. Made for spectacular vistas of cloud banks crawling up and over the mountains, but more constant annoyances of having to keep the camera under the poncho except for a quick snap and back again.

I feel like if/when I get a K5 I will want to go re-do all the trips we've done so far!
08-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've already said about all there is to say on the K5....but once again, it is a true game changer, not just "another new model".

Where light is low and speed is needed, the K5 will do as well as most any camera you can purchase and at a fraction of the price of some. It will get you shots you would otherwise not even waste time attempting....without flash.
Trying to find anyone that is sorry they purchased the K5, even those with some problems, would be a difficult task...it is just that good.

On the cloudy and dark morning I looked out my double pane dirty office window and saw this little birdie on the fence, I knew I could never get a shot........but wait!....I have the K5 now, let's try it! Sure, it is not perfect, but I finally have a presentable shot of a Painted Bunting.......something that had previously eluded me many times.

1/125 (love the speed!) f6.7 @ 500mm ISO 12,800
[IMG] [/IMG]

There are many other compelling reasons to get the K5, this is just one of them.
Best Regards!
08-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think you would be really happy with the upgrade and find it well worth the price. I shoot up to 3200 without even thinking about it on the K5 and I have frequently gone up to 6400 without a problem. I shoot mostly weddings, which like the cathedrals in Italy, do not allow flash.

The image quality in the k5 is exceptional and you won't be disappointed.
08-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for the K-5 here. It's put Pentax on the map IMO for enthusiast photography.
I don't often go to ISO 6400 and beyond, but I know that when I shoot between ISO 3200-6400, I can still get very decent results even after boosting shadow details and exposure in post processing.
08-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Put me down for suggesting picking up a K5 as well. Not specifically for the high ISO performance, which Is impressive, but for the overall output quality from the camera. But, if High ISO is your goal, here's one at 20,000.

(post processing ACR noise reduction applied of course).

08-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
Pentaxian

As what Rupert has said. The K5 is a game changer.
The resolution is better and allows for retention of details even after a crop.
The ISO performance is not only useful in low light, it is highly useful in average light.
Slower lenses or f-stop settings (for more DOF for example) can now be used when before they could not.
The large dynamic range allows a shot to be post process to one's taste for shadow and highlight detail.
The very fine grain noise allows exposure and processing to be pushed where an older camera would have failed.
08-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The only thing missing in this thread is the "fun factor". Now some shooters are just deadly serious,and everything about photography is a dedication to perfection and the quest for excellence. I appreciate these guys, they are what drives progress in the technology and development of new cameras....but if you are anything like me, you like a little fun in your shooting. The K5 will give you some fun times like you haven't experienced in any previous Pentax camera.
Regards!