Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I'm often a contrarian, but here I'll join the ravening mob and say ONE SYSTEM, CAREFULLY CHOSEN. I've tried mix-n-match systems before and they're a royal pain. A second system is a supplement, not a backup. If your backup isn't equal to your primary, it should at least be compatible.

And real paranoiacs have multiple compatible backups. If photography was still my livelihood, and I had a non-trivial investment in Pentax glass, I'd carry two K5's with lenses mounted, and keep a Kr body in my bag just in case both K5's bit the dust. Also extra cards, batteries, etc. of course.

Multiple systems are fine for multiple applications. Use Canikony FF stuff for some sorts of work, Pentsung APS-C stuff for other sorts, etc. But don't mix them on the same job except in controlled conditions, ie your studio. And make sure each system has adequate backups. Hay, it's only money!

08-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #17

I'm a pro wedding photographer too. I don't think you need to have EXACTLY the same set up as your primary system. I mean I can see why that would be nice but that would really mean buying 2x everything. If a 35mm 1.4 goes down there is no reason why a 35mm 2.8 in a zoom wouldn't do. You may not like the result as much but your lens went down and shit happens. I think the same is true if in terms of 35mm Full Frame vs 24mm APS-C. You gotta do what you gotta do. Even if he had two K-5s if one lens goes down he's out that lens, having a 2nd K-5 won't help. If everything in my kit died I could do a wedding with a K-5 and the 16-50mm. God forbid I'll ever HAVE to do that, but I could do it.

I'm not saying that it's the most sensible approach, two systems, I'm just saying it can be done.
08-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
I'm a pro wedding photographer too. I don't think you need to have EXACTLY the same set up as your primary system. I mean I can see why that would be nice but that would really mean buying 2x everything. If a 35mm 1.4 goes down there is no reason why a 35mm 2.8 in a zoom wouldn't do. You may not like the result as much but your lens went down and shit happens. I think the same is true if in terms of 35mm Full Frame vs 24mm APS-C. You gotta do what you gotta do. Even if he had two K-5s if one lens goes down he's out that lens, having a 2nd K-5 won't help. If everything in my kit died I could do a wedding with a K-5 and the 16-50mm. God forbid I'll ever HAVE to do that, but I could do it.

I'm not saying that it's the most sensible approach, two systems, I'm just saying it can be done.
I agree there! My initial thought was to buy two lenses for the Nikon, an 85mm 1.4 (so dreamy on a FF sensor) and a 30mm 1.4. I've seen an entire wedding shot with a 30mm macro and it worked, albeit the photog said he wouldn't want to do it again! I own the legendary FA77mm limited and an FA50 1.4. I keep a Sigma 17-50 2.8 on one body and the 77mm on the other. It works for me during the precession until the camera locks up! But I think another K5 is practical.
08-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Doesn't matter if the issues are similar or not, did you find any issues that caused the camera to stop working?

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
What do you mean by locked up? Was it a known issue or something else?
I've read other posts in this forum where this has happened to others. Seems like there is a problem with a drop in current when the battery's power level drops. That's my deduction from ALL the posts I've read. The battery's power level is the only constant in the whole equation.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your input!

08-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I bought one K-5 and intended to use my Existing K20D as a 2nd body. I was warned againstit, but I thought I could handle it. I went out on a shoot with my new K-5 and old K20D, and immediately got confused and missed shots, etc - I soon bought a 2nd K-5 and sold the K20D
08-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
being FF it makes cropping much easier than with a APSC format
Huh? The 700 is a 12mp camera. That's enough for weddings, but cropping that starts throwing away bits you might later want if they do want a large print. A canon 5dII is much more cropable because it's 24mp

I do agree with you the D700 and D300 would be the best Nikon FF and APS-C combo as the D300 controls are much closer to the D700 than the D7000 is to the D700.
08-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
I am not a pro.
I used to own a D700 with 24-70 mm f2.8 Nikon zoom. Coupled with SB900 flash, the combo weighs 2.5 kg.
For the cost of a new D700(listed as 2800 on adorama today), you can buy close to 2 K5 with extended warranty.
If you get a good Nikon FF prime 35 f1.4, it will cost equivalent or more than the cost of a K5 with twice the weight and size of pentax prime.
Is the Nikon definitely better? That's a very good question. I am sure a lot of members on this forum used to be Nikon owners.

Cheers!
Enjoy photography