Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Teleconverter

Does anyone know if Pentax is planning on bringing out a teleconverter in the near future. I see their is a feeding frenzy on a used Tamaron 1.4X on Ebay. It will probably sell for over $160.00 plus shipping. Way too much coin for my pocket. I am sure if Pentax brought one out, new it would probably sell for the same or less than a used Tamaron. It appears that any other mount but Pentax sells for a heck of a lot less. I wonder if there is a shortage of Tamaron converters with Pentax mounts or are Pentaxians out there are just crazy. Hmmmm go figure.

08-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Tamron 1.4 converter and it works very nicely on certain lenses. I got it new and seldom use it. Since I got the Bigma a few years back I have little need for it .....50-500 covers most all of the range I use.

I would like to see Pentax match a converter to some of their best long glass, and I think others would too.
Regards!
08-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Tamron TC is actually very low in price compared to the Pentax, being the reason for the feeding frenzy.
Pentax came out with one a long time ago and you can rarely see these ones for sale.
The Pentax ones can make a MF lens AF, the reason also for fetching a ridiculously high price.
There are other alternatives apart from the OEM Pentax (which is no longer in production) and the Tamron (which I think is also no longer in production, being also the reason for the high price).
You can get the Kenko 1.5X
There is also the Promaster 1.7X
Members here avoid the 2X since it greatly degrades the IQ and speed of the lens.

Pentax: Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Teleconverter SMC MINTY 1.7 x | eBay
Kenko: Kenko 1.4x Teleplus DG AF conversion lens for PENTAX | eBay
08-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here's more that I found:

Vivitar: Vivitar 1.4x Teleconverter for Pentax VIV14XP B&H Photo Video
Sigma: 824109 Sigma 1.4x EX DG APO Tele-Converter for Pentax AF Cameras

Hope this helps..

Sorry but I can't find any more Promaster's.

08-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks

GerryL, do you know which of the converter you mention is of the better quality? Is the Kenco as good as the Tamron etc. or are they all of comprable quality. It just seems everyone wants the Tamron. Is it better than the other teleconverters you mention. Thank you very much for your input.
08-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Mick!
The Tamron has already been tested here on the forums.
I just forgot which year it was.
If you do a search, you can probably find it.
The thread was about teleconverters and most used the DA 55-300mm with very good results.
The Pentax was better of course but it was mostly unavailable.
You can check out our lens review section particularly about the teleconverters: Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Teleconverters (All Brands) - Sigma, Tamron, Adaptall and 3rd Party Lens Review Database

I have no first hand experience with the other brands except for the one I own which is the Promaster 1.7X.
Hin also has a blog about the Promaster 1.7X: Hin's Tech Corner: Promaster 1.7x AF Teleconverter Pentax
Hin is also a member here on the Pentax Forums.