Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Metz slave mode preflash suppression

Hello,

As it appears on Metz site, now the pre-flash suppression is "servo mode" is possible, with the introduction of the new 3.0 firmware. (for other flashes, too)
Pentax: Metz

Servo mode is the Slave mode in Metz language, according to the leaflet.
Basically, it's Manual control (down to 1/128), in wireless.

Pretty cool IMHO. Tested, and working

Also Rear Curtain Sync with K5 is supported now.

Octav

Last edited by octavmandru; 08-22-2011 at 11:41 PM.
08-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
Hello,

As it appears on Metz site, now the pre-flash suppression is "servo mode" is possible, with the introduction of the new 3.0 firmware. (for other flashes, too)
Pentax: Metz

Servo mode is the Slave mode in Metz language, according to the leaflet.
Basically, it's Manual control (down to 1/128), in wireless.

Pretty cool IMHO. Tested, and working

Also Rear Curtain Sync with K5 is supported now.

Octav
Wait...they added a dummy slave mode that does not ignore the pre-flash (sees flash, goes off -- does not pause because of ttl pre-flash)? Or is this the old firmware that just added Servo mode in general?
08-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope.

It is Manual Mode, available in wireless.
In wireless P-TTL, the cam is "talking" with the remote flash through a series of strobes.
The cam is asking politely the flash to emit a reference flash (most likely the lowest output possible; in the case of the Metz 48 is 1/128), in order to calculate the power factor needed for the correct exposure. Then is talking back to the flash to set it to the calculated value (lowest output x calculated factor). The last flash emitted by the cam will trigger the remote flash at the set value.

You see, this "talking" takes time, plus, there's the pre-flashes that will make the subject to blink.

Anyway, previously the manual mode was not available in wireless operation. At least for Metz. Now it is, along with some other benefits of the new firmware.

Octav

p.s.Can anyone confirm the presence of Manual mode in wireless on Pentax flashes?
08-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

oh, I thought you were saying there was a new firmware out... you know this one was released like 6 months ago, right? There are blog posts as far back as February 18 about the release of v3

08-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe this is still the same firmware released back in February.

ver 3.0 is for the 58 AF-1
ver 2.0 is for the 58 AF-2.

The only change I really noticed on their website is for a new firmware update (July) for the 58 AF-1 for the Nikon (which also applies to me)

It's very nice that they provide firmware updates for their older flash units still.

It does seem as though Metz isn't into forced upgrades quite so much as some other companies.
08-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, don't know what made me think it's new...
OK, new to me.

Octav
08-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

OK, new to me.
Octav
Then it was new.

The Nikon update was new to me though and if you hadn't posted then I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

However, it would be nice if Metz would adjust their servo mode so you could choose whether it was set off by the last flash of P-TTL (or E-TTL or I-TTL) or just a single flash.

Best of both worlds then.
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nope.

It is Manual Mode, available in wireless.
In wireless P-TTL, the cam is "talking" with the remote flash through a series of strobes.
The cam is asking politely the flash to emit a reference flash (most likely the lowest output possible; in the case of the Metz 48 is 1/128), in order to calculate the power factor needed for the correct exposure. Then is talking back to the flash to set it to the calculated value (lowest output x calculated factor). The last flash emitted by the cam will trigger the remote flash at the set value.

You see, this "talking" takes time, plus, there's the pre-flashes that will make the subject to blink.

Anyway, previously the manual mode was not available in wireless operation. At least for Metz. Now it is, along with some other benefits of the new firmware.

Octav

p.s.Can anyone confirm the presence of Manual mode in wireless on Pentax flashes?
I have ver 3.0 installed on my Metz 48 (check by turning your metz on with the mode button pushed down) The below refers to K5 camera.

My metz will not fire in manual mode wireless unless it has the sub mode SL turned on. With the SL mode turned on, i.e. wireless, none of the partial power Manual choices are available. Also in SL mode, i am unable to alter the power settings of the remote flash from the camera. Altering the FEV or the camera EV does not affect the exposure i get from wireless mode with the onboard flash in commander mode only, not the master mode.

If i install the flash on the camera body, or presumably with a cable, then i can alter flash power levels via pttl and do rear shutter in manual or pttl.

The problem seems to be that SL(ave) mode is not set up to let one use the Manual partial power levels - totally useless IMO. i go into manual mode primarily to use those partial power levels.

I was shooting a portrait in an indoor coffee bar recently. I initially was using pttl and bouncing flash off the ceiling, even though it was fairly high. i was in camera manual, 1600iso, and 2 or 3 ev steps underexposed. I switched to manual on the metz flash and found out that the pttl was only using about 1/16 equivalent power from the flash. but how would you know that if you didn't switch to manual. If i had know that earlier, i would have lowered the iso from 1600 to much lower for better IQ. sorry, off topic.

Anyway, if you go to manual control, which i recommend for many situations, do yourself a favor and buy a radio trigger. i recommend Cactus v5's - see the thread by Class A on Cactus v5's and it'll tell you all the good things about them. only $59 a pair and each one can be used as a receiver or a transmitter.

08-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thank you Octav, I had version 1.0
01-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow, I'm very far behind! Still on ver 1.1!

Can you run through how to put the camera and flash into wireless P-TTL as I've tried putting flash into SL mode and popping the on board flash up to trigger it but results are poor, I presume doing it wrong!