Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
images seem a bit misty

I have found that almost with out exception regardless of lens on my k5 all the images shot in raw benefit from have some black added and contrast to remove what I can best describe as a misty or too low contrast appearance.

Am I right in thinking the various scene settings like normal , bright, vivid etc only actually effect jpeg out put?

I now normally fix this in light room as a global fix but wondered if I could adjust something in the camera settings to help?

08-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Make a custom profile in Lightroom.
08-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Make a custom profile in Lightroom.
yes I have done this , is it possible to select specific images apply the profile to rather than a global application? does that work? cant test lr now because lr is on my computer at work.
08-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
yes I have done this , is it possible to select specific images apply the profile to rather than a global application? does that work? cant test lr now because lr is on my computer at work.

yes you can

Create a Develop preset and set it to only store the black and contrast settings. then select all relevenat pics after import and apply the preset.

I find I have to add some black and tweak contrast with most of my K-5 pics too. I have several develop presets, for different types of scenes and apply them across multiple pics. On a 1,000 ( or more ) image shoot I can process all ia ges to 80% of "perfect" in a few minutes. and I then only spend time tweaking the good ones to perfection.

08-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To answer your original question, yes, the custom image stuff only affects jpegs. From a raw file, you can later pic any custom image setting via the pentax desktop software.
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RAW captures whatever the camera sees through the lens, no modifications. So no, there are no settings that will improve contrast on original RAW images. But that is what PP is for.
08-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
RAW captures whatever the camera sees through the lens, no modifications. So no, there are no settings that will improve contrast on original RAW images. But that is what PP is for.
IN Camera processing that is. If you want the settings to apply, shoot RAW+JPG then you'll have the JPGs with the chosen settings. Some consider it a waste of card space to do so having both does serve a purpose at times (like browsing files in windows explorer). I've yet to see a bare RAW file that didn't benefit from Some form of change in the digital darkroom.

08-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Am I right in thinking the various scene settings like normal , bright, vivid etc only actually effect jpeg out put?
am I correct with this ? if I shoot raw scene settings do not apply?
08-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

am I correct with this ? if I shoot raw scene settings do not apply?
Yes, as Adam, Ash, and Jeff said, the settings apply for JPEGs only.
08-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

misty images

Are you living in the Misty Mountains? Kidding! Q. are you using a lens hood? Q. does your histogram show the lack of contrast(or black)? Q. is your monitor calibrated. Q. when you print a photo, does the print lack contrast?

Just thinking about things that may seem obvious but not clarified in your query.
08-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Are you using filters on your lenses?
08-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Yes they do and so did my Olympus E3 and E1. It is normal in RAW with Natural colour setting. The curve is linear so if you don't like the rather flat look that seems to have a layer of haze you need to adjust the curve toward an s curve. The other way and this is I think my discovery from my Olympus days !! is to go to in PS selective color, color then select neutrals and add black. The haze is gone! I still do this a little as I think it adds a nice 'Kodachrome' touch. By the way this is why I don't like this new trend of raising the shadows and reducing highlights via three exposures and meshing them together as one. But that is another thread perhaps!
08-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Are you living in the Misty Mountains? Kidding! Q. are you using a lens hood? Q. does your histogram show the lack of contrast(or black)? Q. is your monitor calibrated. Q. when you print a photo, does the print lack contrast?

Just thinking about things that may seem obvious but not clarified in your query.
answers to the above,
no
yes always
no
yes
YES
and no filters either
08-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Always use a lens hood unless you are somewhere so tight you can't manouver the camera with it on. If you don't have them cheap copies are readily available on ebay for most lenses.

Make some attempt to calibrate your monitor - the Photo Friday calibration is free and will help with black and white points:
Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool

And if the histogram on both camera and PC is short at the dark end, consider dialling in 1/3 or 1/2 EV underexposure all the time, except of course for snow, white sand and similar shots.

PS can you post an example? With the EXIF?

PPS what exposure mode are you using?

Last edited by cats_five; 08-30-2011 at 01:31 AM.