Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Bye bye K-x, hello K-5.....

After just over a year of sterling service the K-x is off to a good home and we've taken the leap and invested a sudden windfall into it's dad, a brand new K-5.
Oh, it's a very different machine. As I'm sure it's been covered many times before, I won't go into the the numerous tiny differences but will just commnt that it DOES give me better shots.
Yes, I know it's the person not the camera blah blah blah but it just gives you the impetus to push yourself and your lenses. Ok, I'll be specific: My FA50 1.4 was average at best on the K-x (DA 35 2.4 killed it) but on the K-5 without any adjustment it's a totally different piece of glass. No idea why, and I don't care but I'm now getting results from it that I've always suspected it's capable of.
And the build is a MASSIVE difference, not just in real terms of being tougher and harder wearing but in more abstract ways. It just gives you the confidence to do what you want. The K-x was always in it's proper bag, then handled overly gently as it just seemed too plasticky and kinda brittle. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic camera and I'm sad I had to sell it but the K-5 allows me to think about the shot in my head not the camera in my hand. It's just this big solid lump that you forget about and THAT alone is worth the money.

Ergo, the K-5 pulls it off and reverses the mindset I had with the K-x and makes it about the photographer and the picture not the equipment.

08-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #2

Maybe you also need a new computer for processing the files now?
08-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy and congrats!! I love mine!
08-27-2011, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
It took the highest level smoke and mirrors manipulation just to get my missus to let me get a new camera, doubt I'll be swapping the Comodore 64 anytime soon.

08-27-2011, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats! Had my eyes on that machine, but won't be anytime soon. My K20D really will not give up without a fight
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What did you do with mirrors?
I will need some good magic too as I am thinking about K5 if they drop the price after new Sony A77 hits the market.