Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by k-sw Quote
Thanx for help and i'm ready to buy K-5)
But how can i test it for sensor stains?
High f-stop like f22, shoot a blue sky picture.
Import the picture, enhance the contrast somewhat, then zoom in and pan through the picture, making sure that dust isn't mistakenly seen as a 'stain.'

Someone else may have a different preference, but the above should get the job done.

09-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
High f-stop like f22, shoot a blue sky picture.
Import the picture, enhance the contrast somewhat, then zoom in and pan through the picture, making sure that dust isn't mistakenly seen as a 'stain.'

Someone else may have a different preference, but the above should get the job done.
Or alternatively, just buy anything manufactured post January 2011 but not between March and May and you should be fine.... i.e... New Stock...

If you are buying Current New Stock.. you shouldn't have a worry in the world and checking for Stains will probably just cause you to see things that aren't there. Its a moot issue and has been since oh.. about January this year....

Mirror Flop (the March - May problem) has also been fixed, so really - this would be what you'd want to 'check for' - which you can't... so if you do end up with one of the select few effected batch - then just replace it under warranty if/when the issue arises and problem solved.
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I am not hesitant to recommend the K5 to anyone. Buy from a reputable dealer, as you would any camera, and then be prepared to be amazed as you enjoy the fantastic K5. The warranty has you covered if it should be needed, but that is now unlikely. It also has the coveted Otis Guarantee......no other camera carries it.

Best Regards!...stop worrying and just buy it, you have already missed today, don't miss tomorrow!
09-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #19

Original K-5 SN#394XXXX
Mfg. date 01/28/11 (considered "safe" by some)
Rec'd. April 2011
Exchanged for newer copy because of sensor stain

Replacement K-5 SN#402XXXX
Mfg. date 03/24/11 Rec'd. 05/11/11
@robyn: First malfunctioned on 07/28/11 @ 936 shutter count
Serviced at CRIS/U.S. for "Mirror overrun" - No parts were replaced in my camera; it sounds like they basically just tightened some nuts and bolts. ...turnaround time - about 10 days ...received back from repair 8/30/11 - it's holding at 725 frames into the repair.

However, CRIS did not even look at the "inconsistent exposure" issue I'm having in wireless flash mode (mostly underexposed, sporadically overexposed). The camera will be going back to CRIS for this after I return from a trip at the end of Oct. I am holding my breath the "mirror overrun" repair holds for the trip. Meanwhile, I'm considering the purchase of a Cactus V5 (which may or may not resolve the problem).

These are the facts, not complaints. I perused this site before my purchase and thought I was "safe" - concluded it's a crap shoot so I bought the 2 year extended warranty. LOVE the quality of the images (when it performs), but since this is my first Pentax, I have wondered if all of this is worth it. Admittedly though, my skills have tremendously improved with this camera. Since it does more than my last camera (digital Rebel), I have felt inclined to *learn* more. Bottom line: We have trade-offs in every area of our lives. I can only fantasize that I won't continue to be plagued with these nuances and at some point, can go out and do some care-free shooting again.

09-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

OutdoorLady....Hope it all holds out well for you and you are past your difficulties. I have not had any flash problems with my K5, in fact it is better than my K20D was in getting the right exposure, but I can tell you that the Cactus Flash devices are very handy and can give great results with a little practice.
Most of these were shot with the K5 and Cactus Flash. It was one of my first model shoots with the K5, so I was adjusting to the newness, but the Cactus Flash worked fine. Dottie - a set on Flickr
Regards!
09-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Or alternatively, just buy anything manufactured post January 2011 but not between March and May and you should be fine.... i.e... New Stock...

If you are buying Current New Stock.. you shouldn't have a worry in the world and checking for Stains will probably just cause you to see things that aren't there. Its a moot issue and has been since oh.. about January this year....

Mirror Flop (the March - May problem) has also been fixed, so really - this would be what you'd want to 'check for' - which you can't... so if you do end up with one of the select few effected batch - then just replace it under warranty if/when the issue arises and problem solved.
Heh. My 'current new stock' from Adorama from a month back is 393*, manufactured 1/24/2011. I'm sure there are other 'older' cameras cycling through the system still.
I don't think buying today is any guarantee of a newer build, however, or certainly wasn't in my case.

No problems, knock on wood. I'll wait until i have a few thousand shots on it, then check for the stains again.
There's other data in the full exif info, like production code (2.1 in my case) and internal serial number - I'm pretty sure Pentax never made any claims regarding batch, sn range or anything else of actual use..where did the statement of date ranges for the mirror flop issue come from? I haven't seen anyone pinpointing this to a known manufacturing date or anything besides 'may develop over time' pretty much.. ???

It would indeed be great if someone pushed for recording info on date of mfgr for any of those who have had problems, as someone previously suggested. Of course, it would be great to also move that to a single thread, or perhaps a single thread per issue, instead of just randomly as someone else has their lens release fall off, finds newer occurrences of sensor stains, etc.

I'm hopeful we'll be heading to the mountains sometime in October, so that should see a lot of pictures, relatively speaking, likely 1000 over a week or so, possibly more. I figure if all's well at that point, I'll just add some tape to the lens release and call it good. (Being mostly serious)
09-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
... but I can tell you that the Cactus Flash devices are very handy and can give great results with a little practice.
Most of these were shot with the K5 and Cactus Flash.
@Rupert Just to clarify... devices = triggers (i.e., not an actual flash unit) and if so, was it the V5? What wireless flash unit(s) are you using? Mine is the Metz 58 AF-2 (which supposedly has no problem with the K-7s). Don't see any exposure problems what-so-ever.

09-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OutdoorLady Quote
@Rupert Just to clarify... devices = triggers (i.e., not an actual flash unit) and if so, was it the V5? What wireless flash unit(s) are you using? Mine is the Metz 58 AF-2 (which supposedly has no problem with the K-7s). Don't see any exposure problems what-so-ever.
Yes, I understand ...flash triggers...I have 4 of them. No problem with my 540 or 360 flashes on the K5, but I read most do suffer from bad exposures in particular at angles. Since mine works, it must be something easily repairable? Just guessing.....
The Cactus Flash are nice units. You will enjoy them!
Regards!