Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-5 Issues

Hi!
Right now I'm using Pentax K7 and K200D with Tamron 17-50/2.8 and Pentax FA 50/1.4 and Metz 48 flash unit.
I want to sell K200D and buy Pentax K-5 but I read about some issues with K-5: stains, flash overexposure, mirror flopping, etc.
Is it so in newly producted bodies?

08-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k-sw Quote
Hi!
Right now I'm using Pentax K7 and K200D with Tamron 17-50/2.8 and Pentax FA 50/1.4 and Metz 48 flash unit.
I want to sell K200D and buy Pentax K-5 but I read about some issues with K-5: stains, flash overexposure, mirror flopping, etc.
Is it so in newly producted bodies?
Stains: Long fixed - effected the first 2 months worth of batches... Not seen since January.
Flash Overexposure: Is very open to interpretation, and some are not at all effected. Its also only P-TTL related and....
Mirror Flopping: The problem is called "Mirror Overrun" by Pentax, is identified as a faulty batch of Main Boards from a Supplier, and is being fixed under warranty with no problems and seems to be isolated to batches manufactured from February to around May and is not 'all cameras'...

If I had the spare cash right now (engagement rings cost too much money) I'd be all over one like a fat kid in a candy store.... I'd been waiting and seeing for a while as well but besides the lack of funds right now have committed to buy now that Pentax have identified, named, and fixed, the Mirror Overrun...
08-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I got my K5 in April from B&H.......no stains, no mirror flopping, no focus issues, no flash problems, nothing but near perfect operation in every respect. Is it worth the price? You bet it is! There are "upgrades" and there are "Game Changers".....the K5 is a Game Changer in too many ways to name. Focus is fast and accurate, WB is very good, metering is superb, and the high ISO ability is amazing and gives you both speed and the ability to go without flash in many instances where it would otherwise be required....but there is more, much more. You just have to have one to realize how good it is. Even those that have had problems still love the K5....that tells a story in itself.
Regards!
08-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the internet.
On the internet, any mole hill can be made to look like a mountain.
A few people, posting multiple posts under multiple usernames on multiple forums framing their complaints with carefully worded negative language is the rule for the net.
Happy people don't complain, they just go out and take pictures.
Also, believe it or not, there are people out there who don't bother with forums, especially if they are happy users. Consequently, forums tend to be populated by complainers (I hold up as proof the majority of people on forums with a chip on their shoulder about something).
The vast majority of products that go out the door work the way they are supposed to, the % that doesn't is vastly over represented on internet forums, since these owners are drawn to forums. Customer complaints are over represented.
For the record, I bought my K5 the day they became available in Canada. Mine has suffered no sensor stains, no mirror flop, no buttons have fallen off and the AF has always worked according to the way it was supposed to. And this puts me squarely in the middle of the vast majority of people who have cameras that work the way they are supposed to.

08-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have already stated my case...and generally agree with Wheatfield, but want to be clear that there are those with real problems, they are not all trolls or shooters with a chip on their shoulder, many are loyal Pentax shooters that have or have had real problems with their K5. It would be a disservice to them if we lumped them into a group of malcontents, when they are clearly not. Though I am 100%+ satisfied, I never want to overlook the possibility that it could have been me with a severe problem.....and if so, I want support among friends here, not a reprimand for having a legitimate problem.
I think you can rest assured you will get an excellent K5, the odds are great in your favor, but if you did have a problem, you should be able to get help and advice here.....not a shot in the head.
Regards!
08-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The QA issues have been resolved- plus, on the off chance you run into any problems, there's always warranty you can fall back on
08-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Before the Internet Customer complaints were vastly underrepresented. thigns are much better now that faults with goods are broadcast quickly and to a mass audience. This means manufacturers have to tighten up their operations.

Happy people, Like Rupert don't just go out and take pictures, they flock to forums and say how happy they are.

It's also funny that some people who don't like the internet spend an awful lot of time on it. hee hee

I believe in shouting when something is wrong and shouting when something is great.

I currently own two K-5s and they both work great. No focussing faults, no sensor stains, no mirror or flash problems. Fantastic Cameras. Couldn't be happier really. My First K-5 however did have a low light AF problem,which wasn't fixed by the 1.03 update. Like the sensor stains, early K-5s commonly had low light AF issues. Pentax released a version 1.03 to address the issue, following widespread reports on that nasty internet about it. Sadly my K-5 wasn't fixed by it and I got the camera replaced ( Took about 1 minute with a courier swap ). I then bought a 2nd K05 2 days later

I wouldn't hesitate in buying another K-5 now. Amazing Camera!!

08-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My K5 purchased in Feb came with none of the issues you mentioned.

Couldn't be happier with it. Buy it, its unlikely that anything this good will be available for its current price anytime soon.

Top rated aps camera in the German magazine over the top 3 slr manufacturers in AF accuracy - wow. extremely quiet shutter. one can go on and on.
08-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My K-5 purchased in July has been perfect with none of the issues mentioned.
08-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #10

My K-5 has mirror flop, and I'm not a complainer!

I am a loyal pentaxian.
I am a professional photographer.
I don't sign on to simply complain- I have no time for such things!

But I do have a K-5 with a mirror flop. It was- and this is important- perfect for 4-5 months and then one day, out of nowhere, it started flopping uncontrollably.

I have isolated the problem, as have other helpful commenting pentaxians, to be related to the 60% battery-charge (or less). Just yesterday I was shooting and it flopped so I grabbed a different battery, swapped, and off I went back to shooting.

That said, I am concerned this is going to lead to other issues. This is a voltage problem, it seems, so our circuit boards are probably at risk.

Do I love pentax? Yes.
Do I look forward to their comment and commitment to fix this? Yes.
Would I buy pentax again and again? Yes. But I need pentax to tell me they're going to fix this.

The K-5 is a fabulous camera. It is. It needs some problem solving, and it's better to understand this problem with the mirror ***develops over 4-5 months, consistently from client to client***, and is not something measurable from sometime, say, July.

I have wondered if anyone knows their shutter count vs months used when the flop began?

So, great cam. But I'd wait for Pentax to speak up, or I'd buy and expect to be sending it in within the year. Mine will have to go back and I'm hoping to make it through my busy season on half-charged batteries until then...and no other problems =)
08-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robyn Quote
That said, I am concerned this is going to lead to other issues. This is a voltage problem, it seems, so our circuit boards are probably at risk.
Pentax have identified the issue - its a select batch of Main Boards with a faulty component. They are currently repairing the issue quite promptly and refer to it as "Mirror Overrun". Check out the "Smoking Gun" Thread...

Its essentially a non-issue once you have your camera repaired given you are one of the unlucky effected.
08-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #12

"quickly"

thank you- last time i was on the "smoking gun" thread it had JUST been identified that day, and some people have had it "fixed", only to have it show up again. not so?

how long are you hearing it takes to have it fixed? a friend sent hers in, it took 30 days (they told her 10-12), and the mirror flop started up fairly shortly after it was "fixed".

any idea how many days, "promptly" implies, if you have to be in the "professional program" to get that timeline, and if all service centers are running at the same timeline?

thanks =) appreciated!
08-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robyn Quote
thank you- last time i was on the "smoking gun" thread it had JUST been identified that day, and some people have had it "fixed", only to have it show up again. not so?

how long are you hearing it takes to have it fixed? a friend sent hers in, it took 30 days (they told her 10-12), and the mirror flop started up fairly shortly after it was "fixed".

any idea how many days, "promptly" implies, if you have to be in the "professional program" to get that timeline, and if all service centers are running at the same timeline?

thanks =) appreciated!
Well the example given for here in Australia was 12 days turn around - and that was just as far as I know "joe customer" so to speak... Some others were around the 20 day mark. Some earlier sent in ones though did take longer, probably as they finalized the issue. Ultimately though obviously, your mileage may vary as always with repair centres.

As for repeat of the issues - I would suggest the problem has only recently been truly identified and rectified, perhaps why there was a long period of silence and a 'delay' in early sent off K-5's for repair on the issue, and earlier attempts to repair had proven to be ineffective (quite likely swapped with another faulty main board, at the time).

All entirely speculation of course - but it would seem logical.
08-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
May i suggest that we make a poll about malfunctional cameras and problem free? At this point we can count only malfuctional cameras.. I think it would be a good way to make a picture of the whole case.. Also i think we should take into account a critical day that we suspect most problems are solved.. So i propose i poll with 4 options like:
a)Problem free before DATE
b)Camera with problem before Date
c)Problem free after Date
d)Camera with problem after Date.

What you think???
09-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanx for help and i'm ready to buy K-5)
But how can i test it for sensor stains?