Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #31
Pentaxian

If you cannot address any dust you see in the viewfinder by blowing or very gently brushing with a super clean and super soft brush, the dirt might be on the inside of the focusing screen.

You can unlatch the focusing screen yourself and access the other side by doing so, but with the luck you recently had, I'm hesitant to recommend doing so.

09-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
LOL... yeah. I'm hesitant to pick up the camera at the moment. If I unlatch something, I'm willing to bed something is going to "sproinggggg" out of it
09-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
I'm willing to bed something is going to "sproinggggg" out of it
No it won't ! Your hands are not full of thumbs ? are they ?

Greetings
09-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
No it won't ! Your hands are not full of thumbs ? are they ?
Well,
  • the whole shebang may fall onto the mirror.
  • the shim could drop to the floor, never to be found again (I guess I'm exaggerating ).
  • he could end up with lots more dust bunnies on the screen.
  • he could scratch the screen handling it.

09-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Well,
  • the whole shebang may fall onto the mirror.
  • the shim could drop to the floor, never to be found again (I guess I'm exaggerating ).
  • he could end up with lots more dust bunnies on the screen.
  • he could scratch the screen handling it.
You are quite right all of this can happen but somehow I have a bit more faith in people's dexterity

Greetings
09-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #36

Original Poster
I always cheated getting my dexterity high playing dungeons and dragons...

seriously i think i can do it but as the images shouldnt be affected by the viewfinder dust, i will live with it for now. I will focus on the filter/sensor dust first. the ick stick should arrive next week. Thanks for the advice.
09-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #37

Francis, If you have doubts, I suggest send a camera to Pentax Service stating you suspect stain issue and listing any ohter problem. At least in US, PENTAX is offering shipping label if its a stain related issue. When they check the sensor, they will also clean it before sending it back.

I think its better to get it checked from Pentax while it is still under warranty.

09-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
images shouldnt be affected by the viewfinder dust, i will live with it for now
Good move, I have got a bit of small crap on mine, but I don't see it anymore.

Greetings
09-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #39

Original Poster
Got my O-ick1. Gonna try it tonight!
09-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #40

Original Poster
After cleaning with the O-ICK1, there is still a string of pearls (can't focus as much as the above example) right smack in the middle of the photo, at F22. I'm going to send it to my dealer to send to Pentax.
09-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #41
Veteran Member

BTW, I tried the other day to clean my old K20 with the blower. I HATE BLOWERS!

Issue is, the dust came under the VF screen. One tiny speck.
Seeing that the speck doesn't come out, I removed the screen. This was just the beginning of my ordeal.
I couldn't see the speck, the screen is so small. So I blew again with the blower. Put the screen back. Horror. Now I have like a million specks and a large hair.
Take the thing back out (surgical tools involved, every time). Blown. Put back. Even worse.
After two hours of torment, I gave up. Whatever I use (blower, o-ick1), there is always some dust in. I'm a perfectionist.

I went to have lunch at my grandma's house, then spent a couple of hours thinking how to get rid of the enemy.
The screen is one of the most sensible parts in the camera. It's so easy to scratch, and I could not bear the thought. Did I say I'm a perfectionist?
I remembered I tried that before, and managed to clean the ZX-50 screen with soap and water. NEVER USE ALCOHOL.

OK, I gave it a try, but with dishwasher fluid. Used the vacuum cleaner to remove the excess water.
This time, the results were better. Not perfect, but better. Acceptable after a few hours of needles work.

The conclusion is: If it works, don't touch it. I shall never try the same with my K-5.

Octav
09-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #42

Original Poster
I hear you brother
10-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #43

Original Poster
Small update on my own woes.... I sent my camera back to the dealer saying there is a bothersome "stain" visible at F22 (with a little enlargement on my laptop monitor) and wanting it examined by the Pentax people. The dealership cleaned it... sent it back AAARGH... Checked it anyway, Stain still there. Sent it back with a little "I'm disappointed" email and they apologized and sent it to Pentax (at least the importer). Importer cleaned everything, including the viewfinder specks, which was great. They sent me a "your camera is fixed" email and I asked them to check for the stain at F22. "The battery has run out" so they sent it back. I charge the battery and take a cloudy day photo... stain still there.... sent them an email.... they say 'can you send us a photo'... so I take the photo, open it in lightroom, take a screenshot of that (so that they understand where the stain appears) and sent it to them.... "We're very sorry, but we want the camera back." Off it went ... I'm really really enjoying packing up this camera.. One thing to say... The original Pentax box is quite durable...
11-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #44

Original Poster
Just got an update from my dealer. I am getting a new body.