Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LOL...Otis is a good egg...

Re: the OP, I say buy away and have a great journey. My first K5 (from B&H) turned out to have a few issues; they promptly sent me a new one. Magic (or so I thought). The new K5 worked beautifully - I absolutely love this camera! - until the mirror flop issue presented itself in July, while on vacation. My "fix" (until I send to CRIS for fix) has been to power off/power on. The flop does not happen consistently and I could probably live with "as is" for the foreseeable future; but, prudence says take advantage of the fix AND prolong the life of the unit in the process.

Glad you pulled the trigger on your purchase - you will be delighted!

08-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have owned the K7 for over a year now. I do love the feel of the camera. My wife ordered this K5 for my birthday, and it will be here Thursday. So knowing the K7 fit and finish, I will give the K5 a chance. My hope is either non if these problems will manifest themselves, or they will happen after the trip. I know the K5's noise, and dynamic range are industry leading, which is why I choose it in the first place. Wouldn't be quite sure how to explain to my wife I was sending back such a nice birthday present without even giving it a try.
08-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For those that think Tony is a troll, he's not. I've been seeing him around various Pentax boards for a long while now (he's been a lot more active over at Steve's, where I am), and I like his pictures. Give the guy a break! I've been there, stressing out about possibly making a mistake about a major purchase, second guessing things, etc. Often it's a good thing to second guess - i.e., buying a timeshare from a developer is usually a very bad idea, especially at the moment when people are giving them away.

Tony, I don't know if you've considered the ramifications of switching systems right before a major trip. I've shot with someone else's D7000, and found it a very disorienting experience. Nikon goes about doing things differently than Pentax does and after my afternoon experience, I realized that it would take several days of reading the owners manual and then several weeks of practice before I would be proficient with it. Even such little things as the lens release button being on the other side and the way the lenses rotate off the camera is different and since I use a quick lens-change method, it involved thought and practice to adjust to it. Not sure if you've considered all the time and effort you will have to put in to become proficient with the camera, while you are preparing for a major trip. Plus the expense of replacing your lenses on top of buying the new camera.

On the other hand, the K5 will feel just like your K7 when you get it. You will not have any adjustment time, just getting used to how the camera interacts with your lenses and some new features. But the interface is essentially the same and you'd be able to take good pictures without much effort (not the same thing as really knowing the camera).

There's another aspect that comes into play for you right now - psyching yourself into or out of something. There's a great deal to be said for where one's head is when one makes a purchase. If you are expecting problems with something, it's easy to see them, even though they don't exist (expecting stains and seeing them when it's only dust). If you really are going to give the camera a try, take a deep breath, put every issue you've read about the camera out of your mind and just go out and shoot pictures. Test your lenses for any focus differences (my K20, K7 and K5 were all slightly different when it came to how each lens worked on them, and they needed different adjustment settings).
08-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
These 2 problems have been bothering me from buying k5.
what's the new serial number up to?
Anyone?
The Serial numbers mean nothing. What you are interested in is the actual manufacture date. See my previous post about why 'stained' cameras may still be turning up from time to time. There is no real way of knowing the Mfr date until you have the camera in your hand (basically you want one made in 2011). If you want the camera, Buy it. If you don't want the camera, Don't buy it. It Really is that simple.

08-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mtngal, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm really not a troll. Just all caught up in this rather expensive trip. After reading about the problems I kinda let it go to my head. Thanks for reeling me back in. The camera comes on Thursday, and I am really looking forward to it. It's funny because almost everything I buy has to go back the first time. Happened with my K7, and countless other products. I always buy top quality things to boot. I guess I'm just getting tired of spending my hard earned money on stuff, then having to deal with all the logistics afterwards. I'm really not a troll, I love Pentax. My dad shot with Pentax till his dying day. I still have his Spotmatic! I'll keep in touch, and let everyone know how it's going. Thanks to all for input. It's much appreciated.

Tony
08-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis took time out of his busy day.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

....to convene a Troll Council, which promptly found that Tony is not a Troll, just a "confused young boy". Otis recommends he just get the damn K5 and enjoy it like most everyone else is doing.

......Otis also recommends that certain posters be more cautious in declaring people as Trolls......he doesn't have time to waste convening a Board of Inquiry for every little tidbit that rubs someone wrong....he has a tight schedule and it irritates him when someone "cries wolf" and it is nothing but a Possum........

I don't see any damn wolf!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
08-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, that is truly funny. Great little character! I feel much better now that I've been redeemed by the almighty be it appraised Otis! It sure beats standing here in my great loneliness!

08-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Ok, that is truly funny. Great little character! I feel much better now that I've been redeemed by the almighty be it appraised Otis! It sure beats standing here in my great loneliness!
Well, if Otis declares it, it is good enough for me....and I never argue with Otis. It just doesn't pay to argue with Otis.......anyhow, he is always right so what's the point?

Best Regards.....Enjoy the K5 and your trip, bring back some happy news....Otis will be anticipating it!
08-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just wondering if Otis could use a deputy? Now this was shot with my iphone so don't be cruel.

08-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Will he work nights? Otis has a problem with Raccoons robbing his feeder at night, when he is getting his "beauty rest". If so, he is hired and will be known as "Deputy Dawg".......Otis saw that on a cartoon, one of his favorites....mine too!
Regards!

Robbers....
[IMG] [/IMG]
08-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He's a she, has a mean bark, and will work weekends! She likes balance in her work schedule!

Last edited by Tony3d; 08-30-2011 at 03:03 PM.
08-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Stains

You know what... I would not know that my K-5 had stains if I would not read forums After reading them I've tested — and indeed they are there! I've never seen them in normal pictures. And I've made about 10 thousand of them before replacing K-5

I still have to figure out what are mirror flops. It's possible that my K-5 has them too, but I just don't know that yet
09-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
Tony3d.

Hows the replies on the DPR Nikon forum going?
Decided to switch yet?
09-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
Tony3d.

Hows the replies on the DPR Nikon forum going?
Decided to switch yet?
Just asking questions. That's all. Is that a crime? I was watching a podcast last night about the D7000. Got me curious.
My K5 will be here today. My K7 was delivered to the wrong address. Thank God it was insured! Their going to try and
recover it today. So I'm just sitting here starring at my 55-300, and my Super Takumar F1.4.
09-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just found out my K7 I shipped was found. Thank God! Also found out the Nikon d7000 does not have pixel remapping. That's a deal breaker right there. I had used it on my K7 a few times.