Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #1

K5 first impressions

This is fantastic, I was very nervous about leaving the shop and being disappointed but that's not the case.

Love the different in-camera processing but am confused by the layout of the menus•••• BUT, I think thats going to be a learning curve for me as my last cam was a Nikon.

The size is perfect. I've got big-ass hands, and can wrap them completely around with quick easy access to all the functions. The LCD on top is great too, very straightforward•••• BUT the removal of the SD card is a real ass ache. I have to claw at the card itself and because there's a rubber stopper on the inside of the door, it makes it difficult as your fingernail gets hung up! No biggie, i've got to complain about something.

AF hunting! It may be just me learning the parameters, but in low light situations the AF tends to hunt before locking onto my target. I've been studying the manual (and probably need to do this more) but that hunting is really quite annoying. Once its locked, no prob at all. Its quick and intuitive in that the focus points are pretty easy to change. Overall quicker and faster by far over my nikon.

here's a few shots I've taken in Green mode, no image manipulation at all, just .jpgs uploaded to my photobucket.

pentax first shots pictures by oghennylokes - Photobucket

Overall I'm very satisfied with this camera. I purchased it from a local dealer and they had no idea about an extended mfg warranty. Can somebody point me in the direction that I can purchase it?

08-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum. Coming from Nikon you will likely find the AF isn't as fast on the K5. It's probably one of the biggest complaints about any of the Pentax's. However There is a thread somewhere here (i couldn't find it quickly) that links to an AF review and Pentax actually came in 2nd and was ahead of nikon and canon. Accuracy of focus was heavily weighted
08-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What lenses did you pair with the K5? =]
08-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
UPDATE
Info @ pentaxusa has returned an email regarding the extended warranty.

The lens i'm using is just the kit 18-55.

08-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Welcome to the club!

Re Extended warranty.. If you purchased the camera in the USA, you can go to B&H or Adorama and get the 2 year extended for $20.

B&H is currently out of stock on them, Adorama has them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/visitors-center/157010-problems-rs1500-af...ml#post1629973

Click one of the links from the above post (in Adams sig) to get there and there may be forum benefits for you (site supporter, album space, etc). Once there just search Pentax K-5 and you'll see it on the list.

08-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

Regarding difficult removing the SD card.
If you press the card in with your fingernail then just slide your finger quickly sideways the card will jump at least half way out or in some cases all the way out.

Jim
08-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimmoore Quote
Regarding difficult removing the SD card.
If you press the card in with your fingernail then just slide your finger quickly sideways the card will jump at least half way out or in some cases all the way out.

Jim
Yes but be careful. I have actually launched mine half way across the room. I use the USB cable and leave the card in the camera.

08-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by an3ony Quote
This is fantastic, I was very nervous about leaving the shop and being disappointed but that's not the case.

The size is perfect. I've got big-ass hands, and can wrap them completely around with quick easy access to all the functions. The LCD on top is great too, very straightforward•••• BUT the removal of the SD card is a real ass ache. I have to claw at the card itself and because there's a rubber stopper on the inside of the door, it makes it difficult as your fingernail gets hung up! No biggie, i've got to complain about something.

AF hunting! It may be just me learning the parameters, but in low light situations the AF tends to hunt before locking onto my target. I've been studying the manual (and probably need to do this more) but that hunting is really quite annoying. Once its locked, no prob at all. Its quick and intuitive in that the focus points are pretty easy to change. Overall quicker and faster by far over my nikon.
I've been told that over time, the SD card slot will wear in and not be so tight. There was a thread here about SD cards, and i think someone was actually trimming them in width, but i haven't done that. I did once release my finger quickly as someone else mentioned, and had one fly half-way across the room - shocker that

As to the low light focusing, i'm not having a problem with it and it may be do to these practices:
a. If its low light, most of the time i will disable the half-button focus and switch to the AF button focus. Then i will focus to that area by using the center point focus and finding some high contrast or light source in the area. once focused, i use that focus for 5 or 6 shots until the subject(s) leave the area. Its called center focus and recompose. If i have to get shots off quickly and its a well lit area, then i go back to half-button (less than 10% of my shots though)

b. in conjunction with (a) i generally use higher dof like f4 or f5.6 and above, since that places less importance on shallow focus and changing the focus for each shot. (i developed these practices when shooting promos for a local live theatre group). The beauty of it is that when something is happening now, i never experience a locked shutter because i don't have a"focus". the cam just uses the last focus from the AF button.

c. Some lenses focus easier in low light than others. Having at least an f2.8 lens will often allow you to gain a focus in a low light condition when a smaller aperture won't, e.g. as in many slow zooms. Since lenses open up to widest aperture when the cam focuses, it doesn't mean you have to shoot at an f2.8, it just means that the cam is using all that light to find focus even though your setting might be an f8.

You'll find these and other techniques that make the K5 a delight to shoot with, at least thats my experience.

08-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by an3ony Quote
The lens i'm using is just the kit 18-55.
hunting in low light is to some degree matter of the lens. Once you get better lens (f2,8 or faster) you will see the low light AF improved.