Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merlijn Quote
I ordered it twice in fact (in The Netherlands), once for 542,-, second time for 560 or so. The first shop owner called me to say I was too late, that they received too many orders over the weekend. I found this implausible, since I am actively tracking this camera. I saw the 200 euro pricedrop and almost immediately went for it. No other price-comparison website (than the one I use) even listed this particular vendor (or mentioned the wrong price), so I found it slightly fishy. Nonetheless, I immediately proceeded to ordering via a second website. I called directly after my order, because a reservation would only be made when the money had arrived and since we used different banks, this would take a day (so someone could get priority on me by simply using the same bank). Despite having seen the stock going down from 6 to 4 and than to 3, they kindly let me know that in fact they had no stock at all. All suppliers have marked it as end of life apparently.

I actually mailed a third supplier beforehand asking whether they had stock, since two other websites refused my already paid order. They mailed me that they had in fact a very small stock, and (rather than being customer-friendly and reserving me one) immediately raised their prices upon reading my mail. I was upset about this, I don't like these kind of practices. Unfortunately, my being upset didn't help, since others happily bought it and now it shows out of stock as well... Disappointing!

As a matter of the end of life, I found nothing but rumors on the topic of the K-5 being discontinued, no official websites found, does anyone here know something about it?
Welcome and NO Pentax has said repeatedly that it is not discontinued. The K-r, yes, but not the K-5.

03-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I'm in the market for a second body so I've been checking pretty regularly and I saw the $1499 price last night too... A VERY SCARY THING!
Phew! So at least if I was seeing thing I won't be the only crazy one lol! Unfortunately I was only window shopping. But on the plus side I only need $18,000 to get all the stuff I want!
03-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #78
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Hmm I should have screen shot the thing. But at the time of posting it had rrp at $1799 and price after rebate at $1499. It has since been changed back to rrp of $1499 and price after rebate of $1199. I think I will deduce it was a minor stuff up or glitch on their end. Or as an alternative I could be loosing my marbles but I reloaded the window a couple of times and it displayed that price even after adding it to the cart!
I saw that too once or twice a few weeks ago.
03-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
RonHendriks1966 has information of one order of a really cheap K-5 that was cancelled- (in this thread), casting doubt on the reliability of those cheap offers. Can anyone confirm actual delivery for that price? It seems cheaper than ever the K10D or the K7 have been??
I ordered K-5 from Amazon.de when the prices seemed to be lower than before (5.3.2012). The total price with delivery was 642€. The actual seller was puremac-store. Not long ago I got e-mail from the seller and it was something like this:

"Thank you for your order,

According to the statement of the manufacturer Pentax we hereby inform you that the product you ordered Pentax K5 Body - Digital SLR Camera is no longer available.
For this reason, we have canceled your order and refund the purchase price of 642,38 € back."

But when I check my available orders in Amazon.de, it still says that the order is "dispatched soon". Furthermore the money in my credit card is still reserved. I haven't bought anything from Amazon.de before, so I cannot tell how long does it take to actually cancel this order (order and credit reservation) or is the order still valid (ie. it's shipped when the K-5 is again available). Maybe I should send e-mail and ask.

What puzzles me also is that is "according to statement of the manufacturer". If only the store would be out of stock, why would they tell that the product is not available by manufacturer?

03-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
I ordered K-5 from Amazon.de when the prices seemed to be lower than before (5.3.2012). The total price with delivery was 642€. The actual seller was puremac-store. Not long ago I got e-mail from the seller and it was something like this:

"Thank you for your order,

According to the statement of the manufacturer Pentax we hereby inform you that the product you ordered Pentax K5 Body - Digital SLR Camera is no longer available.
For this reason, we have canceled your order and refund the purchase price of 642,38 € back."

But when I check my available orders in Amazon.de, it still says that the order is "dispatched soon". Furthermore the money in my credit card is still reserved. I haven't bought anything from Amazon.de before, so I cannot tell how long does it take to actually cancel this order (order and credit reservation) or is the order still valid (ie. it's shipped when the K-5 is again available). Maybe I should send e-mail and ask.

What puzzles me also is that is "according to statement of the manufacturer". If only the store would be out of stock, why would they tell that the product is not available by manufacturer?
Sorry for your trouble. Perhaps a lie to forgo selling at a price lower than they wanted to? Pentax, in both interviews in February, stated that the K5 has not been discontinued. Guess which source I'm believing?
03-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry for your trouble. Perhaps a lie to forgo selling at a price lower than they wanted to? Pentax, in both interviews in February, stated that the K5 has not been discontinued. Guess which source I'm believing?
Exactly my thoughts. It's a shame that such a good reputation store (at least according to the reviews I've red) would lie to it's customers. But as in generally in life, as you sow, so shall you reap.
03-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #82
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If you're still looking to get a K-5, be sure to check this out:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/178939-pentax-k-5-specia...ml#post1866834

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #83
Veteran Member

The big kids upped prices to $1,349 this AM but they're back to $1,199 tonight. I assume that one store tried to signal the market with a price increase but someone else didn't go along and the increase didn't stick. This is the competitive market, all right!

As an aside, I see that Camera Land in NY has the K-5 for $999 via eBay. They appear to have a good rep and are an authorized dealer per the Pentax Web site. Boy, am I tempted. I might call B&H tomorrow and see if we can work something out.

Last edited by glanglois; 03-17-2012 at 06:07 PM.
03-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
The big kids upped prices to $1,349 this AM but they're back to $1,199 tonight. I assume that one store tried to signal the market with a price increase but someone else didn't go along and the increase didn't stick. This is the competitive market, all right!

As an aside, I see that Camera Land in NY has the K-5 for $999 via eBay. They appear to have a good rep and are an authorized dealer per the Pentax Web site. Boy, am I tempted. I might call B&H tomorrow and see if we can work something out.

If you buy one do not forget to purchase the $19 2-year extended warranty from Pentax at the same time!! It's a SCREAMING deal.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/167660-just-reminder-pen...anty-19-a.html
03-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #85

good lord Adorama and B&H dropped price to $999. Amazon guy is still hanging around $1099 ( i have coupon there, but not worth when I get better deal from Adorama)
03-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #86
Veteran Member

I think I should take credit for the price reduction .....
03-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I think I should take credit for the price reduction .....
Thank you. Good job. Can you get them to do something about the price of the Q next?
03-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thank you. Good job. Can you get them to do something about the price of the Q next?
Have you tried Adorama today? I made a suggestion and they're showing a Q with standard prime for $549. Or is that the standard price?
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like the USA are a bit between the times, we have had great prices on the K-5 for some time now here in the UK! (Makes a change!!)
03-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #90
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I am so disappointed! I jut received mIy Pentax K-5 in the mail on last Friday (March 16th). I have not had this camera for one week yet and now the price i lowered another 200 dollars? I could've have purchased and extra lens (I'm a beginner and a college student) with that extra savings. Does Adorama have a price guarantee or do price adjustments seeing as how my order is less than a week old?